Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 08:33 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here are the Dec sales of some other new sedans. The CC faces a big headwind indeed:

3,399 Maxima
2,089 MKS
1,040 Genesis (surprisingly low IMO)
664 VW CC
I just read the January sales figures, and the CC has about doubled (1,100 units I believe). We'll see if it holds, but as of current, VWoA has stated that their sales dropped only 12% in January YOY, a drastically smaller percentage drop than many of thier rivals. Passat saw a huge decline of about 46% in January, most likely due to the fact that there is only the $28,400 trim available for 2009 (2.0TSI Tip w/ lux package).
Old 02-12-09, 04:01 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down VW Exec - 'NMS' downgraded refinement - First sketch

Volkswagen’s D-segment offerings will be split into two after the introduction of a new car aimed at the North American and Chinese markets, while Europe will continue to get the Volkswagen Passat. Above is one of the first sketches released by Volkswagen of the car that has not received a name yet. It is currently referred to as the Volkswagen New Midsize Sedan. Many car manufacturers have their D-segment cars split into 2. For example, Ford’s European and American line-up are totally different, while Honda has two different Accords for North America/Asia and Europe/Japan.

According to an unnamed Volkswagen executive, the NMS project was created because the company felt American and Asian customers don’t really appreciate the refinement of its current offerings such as the Passat, hence its dismal sales in comparison to competitors like the Camry and the Accord, though the Passat is also more expensive because of the extra costs that go into its refinement.

So VW decided to develope a new car more down to the H and T badge standards, with a focus on strict cost-cutting targets. The new Volkswagen NMS will be built on the sale PQ46 platform as the Passat, which is an enlarged version of the Golf’s PQ35 platform.

Seems like I called it right on. Volkswagen is about to release a cheapened version for the unappreciative American Asian audiences who care little for driving dynamics and build quality in the mid-size sedan segment. Say goodbye to the Passat and the sophisticated engineering that makes the Japanese competition look like toys, VW is about to Japanese-ify this car. I'm going to call it now - It will be softer, cheaper, and have less sophisticated design and engineering than the next Euro- only Passat that will also launch in 2011.

VW, don't ever try and enmulate the Japanese, you'll fail everytime. Delusional. Say goodbye to the Passat.

Last edited by FKL; 02-12-09 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 04:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a Challenger somehow...
Old 02-12-09, 04:19 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refinement is good and I like refinement myself.

However, VW needs to realize that the normal family/midsize sedan crowd in the US and as well as Asia are looking for a reliable A-to-B transportation with the best value. I am sure they like refinement too but at the price they are willing to spend, refinement can take the backseat.

What VW needs to do first is to figure out what is their vision of the brand. Is it mainstream like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Chevy, Ford and Hyundai or is it premium/niche like Volvo, Mazda and Subaru? Because seems to me that they want to be the mainstream brand but what are doing currently are everything against it.
Old 02-12-09, 05:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

gee....if VWs didn't cost as much as audi's to repair and maintain, i'm sure they'd sell a lot more.
Old 02-12-09, 06:08 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like an A8 with VW badge...
Old 02-12-09, 06:20 PM
Epik151
Driver

i see the challenger in it. Boring though. Plus VW reliability and this thing is going to fail as well.
Old 02-12-09, 06:57 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

I had a vdub (passat), the car was really nice but maintenance was expensive and it wasnt very reliable. Plus the cars were expensive as hell
Old 02-12-09, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Looks like a Challanger VW....

Passat never blew me away anyway, FKL, Porsche is in charge and they are not in this game to lose money. You have to make what people want or you will fail. As VW has for decades in America. Its amazing they are still here. Very loyal bunch.

As a VW Purist though, my Purist side feels you. The VW you know will die somewhat for sales in America.

Its no different than the 50 BMW new SUV things coming or Lexus now offering sport packages instead of sofa packages.

Old 02-12-09, 08:21 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

lol. The Passat is too refined for us. What are they smoking?
Old 02-12-09, 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
lol. The Passat is too refined for us. What are they smoking?
compare a passat to a camry, then you'll know they're absolutely right!
Old 02-12-09, 08:40 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This article amazes me.

You mean they're actually going to build an affordable car that lasts and is affordable to maintain? I'll believe it when I see it!

I'll take a Camry over two Passats.
Old 02-12-09, 08:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I like the shape.

I'll take a Camry over two Passats.
I'll take the Passat 2.0L over any Toyota options...especially if it has the 258 trqs. like the A4. If you're only gonna get 30 Hwy MPG, then you might as well have fun doing it. Connect it to a 60 HP electric motor and we are a go!
Old 02-12-09, 08:45 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
compare a passat to a camry, then you'll know they're absolutely right!
I don't doubt that they are absolutely right.

Compare the price between a Passat to a Camry then you'll realize WHY they are absolutely right.

Then go one step further, try to compare the price between a similarly equipped Passat V6 to an Infinite G35/37 sedan then you'll realize exactly why VW is struggling in the US.

As I said before, VW needs to first figure out what exactly they are, a mainstream brand or a premium/niche brand. They have some soul searching to do...
Old 02-12-09, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Its kind of insulting VW is going to downgrade the car b/c they feel Americans are used to "cheap" and Infiniti does the same upgrading their interiors b/c Europeans "know better"

WTF???

Quick Reply: VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)