Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Post VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)

Volkswagen has some pretty ambitious sales goals for the U.S. market in the coming years, with the bulk of those plans centering around one new VW model — the new mid-market sedan, or NMS for short. Our spy photographers managed to catch-up with the future Toyota Camry-fighter, marking the first time the vehicle has been spotted in the United States.

Although these are simply low-resolution camera phone images, this is the very first time Volkswagen’s soon-to-be Chattanooga-built “mid-market” sedan has ever been spotted (and photographed) in the United States. The new sedan is intended to go head-to-head with the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Referred to as the NMS, this new car will fit in-between the Jetta and Passat in VW’s lineup, and will likely have a starting price of around $20,000.

In contrast to most future vehicle plans, Volkswagen has openly mentioned the NMS and what they hope to accomplish with this vehicle, as well as required amenities. VW has hinted that the new sedan will boast generous legroom, a larger trunk, bigger cup holders, improved interior quality, a six-speed dual clutch transmission, gas and diesel powerplants and the possibility of all-wheel drive.

Initially, engines and transmissions will be manufactured in Mexico – the same ones as found in the New Beetle and Jetta. A previously-spotted test mule – as clearly seen on the paper affixed to the windshield – was powered by VW’s 2.5-liter I5.

In addition to the North American market, VW may be also developing this platform for the Chinese market.

VW’s new Tennessee plant is expected to be up and running by early 2011, so look for the NMS to hit the market sometime after that

Old 01-26-09, 05:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh. Good luck with that rather generic sedan in the US market.
Old 01-26-09, 05:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a Jetta, but isn't that what VW/Audi does? Make one car in various sizes yea?
Old 01-26-09, 05:38 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

looks like a jetta to me with some eruo led tails
Old 01-26-09, 05:42 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

lol, thats a jetta body hiding the chassis, nothing more.
Old 01-26-09, 05:45 PM
LexFather

FKL do u have any inside info or anything else about this car?

Old 01-26-09, 05:58 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Today I saw a VW same front but the rear was more rounded my first thought was a Mercedes VW (same basic rounded shape) the VW no name on it just a VW emblem mid trunk lid and the same on the grill work. I had to view this car at speed when I passed it up this afternoon in NJ.
Old 01-26-09, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Volkswagen has some pretty ambitious sales goals for the U.S. market in the coming years, with the bulk of those plans centering around one new VW model — the new mid-market sedan, or NMS for short. Our spy photographers managed to catch-up with the future Toyota Camry-fighter, marking the first time the vehicle has been spotted in the United States.

Although these are simply low-resolution camera phone images, this is the very first time Volkswagen’s soon-to-be Chattanooga-built “mid-market” sedan has ever been spotted (and photographed) in the United States. The new sedan is intended to go head-to-head with the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Referred to as the NMS, this new car will fit in-between the Jetta and Passat in VW’s lineup, and will likely have a starting price of around $20,000.
Some of this, at least to me, doesn't make sense.

VW says that this car will slot in between the Jetta and Passat, yet be the main Camry/Accord-fighter? That job falls to the Passat itself....and there is nothing in the article that says the Passat will be dropped. If the Passat can't compete with the Camry and Accord in sales (at least here in the American market), then how will it sell with a slightly smaller corporate brother right next to it?

It WOULD make some sense if VW intended this car to compete, overseas, with the non-U.S. market Accord, which is slightly smaller than the American-spec Accord, (and marketed here as the Acura TSX). But the article clearly says it will be made in Chattanooga, TN, and (presumably) sold in the U.S.
Old 01-26-09, 07:15 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i think they're thinking about taking the Passat up market with the new CC...
Old 01-26-09, 11:10 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of this, at least to me, doesn't make sense.

VW says that this car will slot in between the Jetta and Passat, yet be the main Camry/Accord-fighter? That job falls to the Passat itself....and there is nothing in the article that says the Passat will be dropped. If the Passat can't compete with the Camry and Accord in sales (at least here in the American market), then how will it sell with a slightly smaller corporate brother right next to it?

It WOULD make some sense if VW intended this car to compete, overseas, with the non-U.S. market Accord, which is slightly smaller than the American-spec Accord, (and marketed here as the Acura TSX). But the article clearly says it will be made in Chattanooga, TN, and (presumably) sold in the U.S.
Two problems:

The Passat is a relatively costly car for VWoA to import into North America. The margin on the cars is razor thin, which is why you see the company streamlining the models offered for 2009 (2.0T Lux only - $28,000). The Passat is now being positioned as a higher-end model, as the next European car will demonstrate (compete with the midsize luxury sedans). VW simply cannot compete with Accords and Camrys (with sub $20K entry prices) with their costly Passat. Sure it's a great car, but importing them from Emden and making close to nothing off of every one they sell doesn't make sense anylonger, which is why you have a new $1B investment in TN.

Secondly, the current 2005.5-present model has gone hopelessly upmarket. For the 2006 model year you could actually get a 3.6 VR6 eqiupped model for $30,000 (as you could with the 98-05 model), but for the next year they streamlined the product models and got rid of most options, bundling the VR6 at a $38,000 entry tab, pre-navigation. The car could reach past $40K once every option (sports package, adaptive cruise) were added. They just couldn't sell them, the 2.0T making up for nearly 85% of sales (if I recall). The average transaction price for the CC, by the way, is around ~$33K (80% uptake for luxury package), so VWoA is seriously considering dropping the entry level $27K model next year. Whatever the case, the Passat won't be going anywhere, just moving upmarket (as it really always has been).

Also, keep in mind when they say slotted between the Jetta and Passat, they are talking about the price. The interior volume will be slightly larger than the current Passat, but virtually identicle. It will be "better designed" with the US consumer in mind, which means downgraded damping more on par with the Japanese competition. I'm very worried they will overly-"Japaneseify" the car as I call it, forgoing the very values that make a VW a VW (and the only reasons to put up with their ownership costs).
Old 01-27-09, 03:05 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Today I saw a VW same front but the rear was more rounded my first thought was a Mercedes VW (same basic rounded shape) the VW no name on it just a VW emblem mid trunk lid and the same on the grill work. I had to view this car at speed when I passed it up this afternoon in NJ.
I believe you saw the new CC model, which is VW's take on the MB CLS car. It even has the same belt line design from the CLS.
Old 01-27-09, 10:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
i think they're thinking about taking the Passat up market with the new CC...
CC looks cool with it's CLS-like style. And the back seat is still usable, I tried it. But I don't think it's selling well, probably resistance to it's high price. I certainly am not going to spend that kind of money on a VW.
Old 01-27-09, 12:04 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't seen direct sales numbers, but cc is selling relatively well [in this climate]. Definitely more initially positive than the W8/Phaeton ventures upmarket. Like I said, the vast majority of buyers are opting for the 2.0t with the luxury package, which is about a ~$33-34K vehicle. Buyers are also not cross shopping it with the A4 and it's class of smaller competition.
Old 01-27-09, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I haven't seen direct sales numbers, but cc is selling relatively well [in this climate]. Definitely more initially positive than the W8/Phaeton ventures upmarket. Like I said, the vast majority of buyers are opting for the 2.0t with the luxury package, which is about a ~$33-34K vehicle. Buyers are also not cross shopping it with the A4 and it's class of smaller competition.
I'll wait to see the sales numbers, but the car is certainly attractive. I was thinking the 2.0T with AWD would be a nice package, assuming the car is not too heavy. I have yet to see one of these on the road in Silicon Valley, which is surprising considering this is a lucrative market for premium cars.

New A4's (with the trick DRL's) and 08/09 C-classes are very common here.
Old 01-27-09, 01:02 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

hmm, I'm in Danville and have seen quite a few CCs driving down 680 to SJ. I've only seen two new A4s in my travels

Quick Reply: VW NMS (new mid-market sedan)