Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Recalls 1.3 Million Yaris Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 03:50 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Toyota Recalls 1.3 Million Yaris Vehicles

NEW YORK (AP) — Toyota is recalling 1.3 million vehicles worldwide because of a seat belt defect. The recall includes nearly 135,000 Yaris models sold in the U.S.

Toyota Motor Sales USA said Wednesday it is working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall 134,900 model-year 2006 and 2007 Yaris subcompact cars. The automaker said in severe front-end collisions, the seat belt is at risk of causing a foam pad in the vehicle to ignite.

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said no one has reported a case where that has actually happened.

However, Lyons said no cases of either have been reported where this actually happened in the U.S., and no other vehicles are affected.

The recall affects about 1.28 million vehicles worldwide that are based on Toyota's Yaris platform. Elsewhere, the car is sold as the Vitz and the Ractis. Lyons could not comment on whether problems related to the defect have been reported outside the U.S.

Old 01-28-09, 06:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whisky Tango Foxtrot .......... Toyota, what the hell is going on?
Old 01-28-09, 06:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah what the hell is going on????? This is not very Toyotaesque. lol At least they are playing it safe.
Old 01-28-09, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=GS69;4203807 The automaker said in severe front-end collisions, the seat belt is at risk of causing a foam pad in the vehicle to ignite.

[/QUOTE]

??????

This is strange. I've never heard of anything like this. I can understand some air bag parts igniting if they are defective, but I can't think of anything in the seat-belt systems that could make foam pads ignite, except (maybe) defective wiring for the seat-belt warning lights and buzzers. But even then, that probably wouldn't be connected with an accident-related impact.
Old 01-30-09, 05:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
??????

This is strange. I've never heard of anything like this. I can understand some air bag parts igniting if they are defective, but I can't think of anything in the seat-belt systems that could make foam pads ignite, except (maybe) defective wiring for the seat-belt warning lights and buzzers. But even then, that probably wouldn't be connected with an accident-related impact.
pre-tensioners close to foam maybe?