Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Benz CLK Coupe production comes to an end

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 07:09 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Mercedes needs to start focusing on improving the overall quality and reliability of its products rather than screwing around with model designations.

How many more years will it take for them to decide to name an E350 a 350E? And why is Mercedes dumping the CLK name when it sounds a lot better than an E class coupe?

From the way things are going, perhaps some day the CL will be known as the S class coupe and the SLK the... well you know what it'll be.

Jon
Old 01-29-09, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Mercedes needs to start focusing on improving the overall quality and reliability of its products rather than screwing around with model designations.
There's some evidence that's happening now. Consumer Reports shows some notable improvements in M-B reliablity in the last couple of years.
Old 01-29-09, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

bye bye !!!!!
Old 01-29-09, 10:04 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should start a thread called "Why so much hate for CLK Merc's"
Old 01-29-09, 10:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

Jon
Mercedes is focusing on improving quality and reliability and it's obvious to owners of cars of recent model years. But to make it a trend they need several years of solid performance. I have a 2008 Mercedes that has better quality and reliability than most built in the last decade.
Old 01-29-09, 11:41 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djestouff
i most certainly wouldnt get an es350 precisely because it is just a camry.
and what do you drive?? why such a negative feeling about camry? and the es? both car are great to an extent.
Old 01-30-09, 07:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidsong
and what do you drive?? why such a negative feeling about camry? and the es? both car are great to an extent.
The Camry and ES are good, reliable, nicely finished, roomy family sedans. I've driven several, in fact there's on my driveway this week (ES350). Probably the best cars in this class.

But for the driving enthusiast they are numb, soft-riding, front heavy, with light steering, heavy understeer, brake dive, and too much torque steer. Or to put it another way, the ES is a fine example as to why Mercedes and BMW don't do front wheel drive cars here. I prefer Lexus IS/GS/LS and own IS350/C300. That's just my opinion and hands-on observations.
Old 01-30-09, 08:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's some evidence that's happening now. Consumer Reports shows some notable improvements in M-B reliablity in the last couple of years.
People keep saying that but I can't tell.
I saw a sticky thread on mbworld.com listing over 60 recall campaigns for the newest s-class. I don't call that reliability.
Old 01-30-09, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I saw a sticky thread on mbworld.com listing over 60 recall campaigns for the newest s-class. I don't call that reliability.
Recalls, unlike the more common service bulletins, don't necessarily address reliability or drivability problems on a large scale. They usually deal with safety-related issues, involve probelems found of a limited number of vehicles, and may or may not be in areas that affect relability.

For instance, a problem in an air-bag circuit or seat-belt mechanism may be a safety-related issue, that, by law, would require a general recall, but not necessarily affect a car's day-to-day driving reliability.
On the other hand, too much of a prasitic-current drain that prematurely runs the battery down, or a defective alternator that won't charge it, is quite another matter....that, of course, WOULD affect reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 09:09 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I just subscribed to CR as we start our test drives next week and am still very leary of the German's reliability.

Keep in mind that it very much depends on the specific model and it is only reflecting initial reliability. I do find it interesting the CR recommends the S-class but only gives it average reliability. The MB and BMW have shown good improvement over the last couple of years...meaning only two.

We'll see how they stand up for the long haul. I still would never own a MB, BMW or Audi that was out of warranty.
Old 01-30-09, 09:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can tell because I've owned several Benzes and currently own a 2008 C-class. We aren't talking miracles here or Lexus-like quality yet. The best Benz's, including the new C-class now have average quality. It'a amazing how well the C-class sells with just average quality, but other attributes of this car make it stand out amongst the competition.

Unfortunately the S-class may not have achieved the acceptable level of quality and reliability that some of the other models have. S-class has always been a trouble-prone and expensive car to maintain. The high-rollers keep buying them, obviously it's a very nice car.

Last edited by IS-SV; 01-30-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 09:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I just subscribed to CR as we start our test drives next week and am still very leary of the German's reliability.

Keep in mind that it very much depends on the specific model and it is only reflecting initial reliability. I do find it interesting the CR recommends the S-class but only gives it average reliability. The MB and BMW have shown good improvement over the last couple of years...meaning only two.

We'll see how they stand up for the long haul. I still would never own a MB, BMW or Audi that was out of warranty.
I agree you should be leary. I will only own them while under a factory-backed warranty. But as auto companies, BMW and Mercedes are extremely successful in the US market despite these known weaknesses.
Old 01-30-09, 10:42 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

people, quality and reliability are two diffrent things. quality is how good are the materials how well will they stand up to the test of time, how nice are they to the touch? etc. I have rearly seen a mb with worn out leather or a cracked dash on the other hand the leather in my is looked like **** after only a couple k. reliability is how well is the product designed where was money cut where was it thrown at. older mercs may have had reliability problems i wont deny but the new ones are leaps into the right direction.
Old 01-30-09, 10:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
.................... I do find it interesting the CR recommends the S-class but only gives it average reliability.
Average reliability is the minimum requirement for a model to be recommended by CR, they will not recommend if it's deemed below average in reliability.
Old 01-30-09, 04:22 PM
djestouff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidsong
i drive a '90 accord. like IS-SV said, i'm not knocking the camry, its a comfortable and very reliable car, my dad's '89 was still in great condition when he finally bought his '04. But when I have the money to get a new car, it will most definitely not be an accord, camry, es350, malibu, etc. I want something that's fun to drive. I've been looking at the mazdaspeed 3 and wrx.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz CLK Coupe production comes to an end