Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Benz CLK Coupe production comes to an end

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09 | 04:26 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I wonder if the new E-Class Coupe is actually based on the E class now or still based on the C class and will sell for way more money because of the badge.

Because if it's based on the E then I see it being way more expensive than the CLK was.
Old 01-30-09 | 04:51 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I wonder if the new E-Class Coupe is actually based on the E class now or still based on the C class and will sell for way more money because of the badge.

Because if it's based on the E then I see it being way more expensive than the CLK was.
i belive that clk is 56k not cheep and thats before the options and taxes etcs
Old 01-30-09 | 06:44 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
people, quality and reliability are two diffrent things. quality is how good are the materials how well will they stand up to the test of time, how nice are they to the touch? etc. I have rearly seen a mb with worn out leather or a cracked dash on the other hand the leather in my is looked like **** after only a couple k. reliability is how well is the product designed where was money cut where was it thrown at. older mercs may have had reliability problems i wont deny but the new ones are leaps into the right direction.
Although I understand your point, some people see things differently. For me, reliability is part of quality. I wouldn't buy anything I know is going to give me less than average reliability.
Old 01-31-09 | 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
Although I understand your point, some people see things differently. For me, reliability is part of quality. I wouldn't buy anything I know is going to give me less than average reliability.
I agree. And unfortunately the German car makers are struggling to get and keep their cars at the average level of reliability.
Old 02-01-09 | 07:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I won't miss it, especially since I know it's based on the old C-class which was not one of Mercedes better cars.
It was based on the C class chassis, that's about it. The suspension and other systems for the CLK would have been different to suit the character of that car. Besides, the last generation C class chassis was pretty solid and proven. The car itself I suppose wasn't bad but not really competitive enough. Not the case with the current C class, which is phenomenal. I miss my previous C200 CDI!
Old 02-01-09 | 10:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
It was based on the C class chassis, that's about it. The suspension and other systems for the CLK would have been different to suit the character of that car. Besides, the last generation C class chassis was pretty solid and proven. The car itself I suppose wasn't bad but not really competitive enough. Not the case with the current C class, which is phenomenal. I miss my previous C200 CDI!
Suspension tuning was different. The early years of the last gen C-class released as model year 2001 were crap. There were numerous mechanical, electrical and suspension problems. The reliability stats for the earlier years of this generation showed the mediocre reliability. I leased one for 4 years and returned it a month early via flatbed towtruck , so I experienced the poor reliability first hand.

I have the new 08 C-class, very nice and solid car.