Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra/Venza to make super bowl appearance...why no RX or HS

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 08:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Tundra/Venza to make super bowl appearance...why no RX or HS

The Toyota Tundra will be prominently featured in a 30-second spot called "Killer Heat," set to bow this Sunday during the Super Bowl Halftime Show. The ad will demonstrate the truck's capabilities by situating it in an against-all-odds scenario that should satisfy the die-hard action fans. "Killer Heat" will make its debut in tandem with "Faces" Toyota's ad for its brand-new Venza.

"Killer Heat" is a part of the Tundra's ongoing ad campaign that began with two actual demonstration spots in the 2007 Super Bowl, called "See Saw" and "Ramp." The Tundra campaign is inspired by insights from Tundra owners who depend on their trucks on a daily basis. A making-of video for "Killer Heat" will be available on www.howstuffworks.com and www.youtube.com/user/ToyotaUSA following its premiere.

Saatchi LA handled the "Killer Heat" ad, while Burrell Communications handled

I wonder if the Tundra will be the super charged TRD model? I also wonder why no RX or HS
Old 01-31-09, 09:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they don't think they need to advertise it? Aren't tundra sales way below the projected?
Old 01-31-09, 10:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darkdream
maybe they don't think they need to advertise it? Aren't tundra sales way below the projected?
I am just suprised that there is no Lexus. I think last year Toyota had a Hybrid ad. Seeing that the Prius, Rx and HS are all hybrid...Toyota chose to go with Tundra of all vehicles.

The Venza will appear first half while the Tundra is a half time ad.
Old 02-01-09, 06:50 PM
LexFather

Not sure but to be honest I don't remember too many Lexus Super Bowl ads. The RX and HS will sell themsevles. The Venza is a tougher sell.

Old 02-01-09, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure but to be honest I don't remember too many Lexus Super Bowl ads. The RX and HS will sell themsevles. The Venza is a tougher sell.
Considering what Super Bowl ads COST (over a million dollars a minute...two or three million in some cases), I'd have to agree it's a tough sell. But, still, anyone with an ounce of automotive sense, though, will see that the AWD Venza is the first true Toyota competitor to the popular Subaru Outback series, though the AWD Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe has been good competition to the Subaru Impreza Sportwagon for years.
Old 02-01-09, 09:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Considering what Super Bowl ads COST (over a million dollars a minute...two or three million in some cases), I'd have to agree it's a tough sell. But, still, anyone with an ounce of automotive sense, though, will see that the AWD Venza is the first true Toyota competitor to the popular Subaru Outback series, though the AWD Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe has been good competition to the Subaru Impreza Sportwagon for years.
Actually, the pricing this year for the ads was $2.4M to $3M per 30 seconds. So I do agree with you, tough sell at those prices....and not worth it.
Old 02-01-09, 09:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Wow. Wow. Wow.

What a kick a$$ Toyota commercial.

Tundra killer heat.

Excellent job Toyota

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02...r-heat-ad.html

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-01-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 10:45 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Considering what Super Bowl ads COST (over a million dollars a minute...two or three million in some cases), I'd have to agree it's a tough sell. .
Sadly the Venza ad was a dud. I saw the the Venza limited or high end version and the Venza should of been a Lexus. But oh well, its too late to go back.

http://blog.nola.com/davewalker/2009...wl_commer.html
Old 02-01-09, 11:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

VENZA !!!!! what a beautiful crossover ( or whatever you want to call it.) I am amzed that you an make a grocery getter look this good
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Tundra/Venza to make super bowl appearance...why no RX or HS-street-image-toyota-venza-sportlux-01.jpg  
Old 02-02-09, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
VENZA !!!!! what a beautiful crossover ( or whatever you want to call it.) I am amzed that you an make a grocery getter look this good
The Venza (and other vehicles like it) are good for a lot more than just grocery-shopping, particularly when the snow hits. I know.....I own an Outback myself.
Old 02-02-09, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Actually, the pricing this year for the ads was $2.4M to $3M per 30 seconds. So I do agree with you, tough sell at those prices....and not worth it.
Thanks. I knew Super Bowl ads were expensive, but I didn't know they had gotten THAT outlandish. That's about the rate that Congress is spending on bailouts....2-3M in 30 seconds.
Old 02-02-09, 07:09 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Saw a venza on the road the other day, it looked pretty damn good.
Old 02-02-09, 07:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I thought these ads were both rather dull to be honest.

The Venza ad was pretty generic and didn't show enough of the car IMO.

The Tundra ad...wtf? They created a metal layered cage, lit it on fire, and truck drove up it towing a trailer?

Ok?

What relevance does this have for anyone looking to buy this rig? The commercials last year were a lot more effective with demonstrations of braking, towing, and acceleration. Last night's was just more of a stunt for no real reason IMO.
Old 02-02-09, 07:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 742 Likes on 512 Posts

I saw a bronze Venza the other day and I liked it. The commercial left much to be desired though.
Old 02-02-09, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The Venza looks better than the RX and attracted more attention at the 2 car shows here in the bay area.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra/Venza to make super bowl appearance...why no RX or HS