Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Funny Audi superbowl commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 06:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just looking at the Autoblog comments, it's clear that the Lexus digs have some enjoyment from Lexus-bashing enthusiasts...it's different from the approach taken by Hyundai which is more 'the benchmarks are aghast and shocked'/too expensive. From last year's "the car for those that can park themselves" etc. I wonder whether Lexus would deign to respond to Audi. IMO they should focus on continuing the prestige climb and appeal to new drivers. Audi has a different tack as it just surpassed Volvo in sales, it is using an insurgent advertising strategy in an attempt to gain market share.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=134234

Audi Ramps Up Advertising During Recession, Reaps Rewards

Audi of America's sales slipped in 2008, they fell far less than those of competitors amid a calamitous year for the auto industry. Audi's brand awareness, brand opinion and buyer consideration are all up substantially in the past two years. During that time, the brand's gains in that all-important last measure outstripped those of BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. And for the first time in 28 years, Audi outsold Volvo in the U.S. last year. In short: Audi might be the hottest auto brand on the market right now....

From the second quarter of 2006 through the third quarter of 2008, Audi's brand awareness increased from 62% to 71%, said Mr. Keogh, citing data from GfK Automotive. In the same period, brand opinion rose by from 65% to 78% and brand consideration jumped from 35% to 52%. While its major competitors, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, have higher scores, Audi made the biggest gains in the period, with Lexus even showing a 1% slip in consideration to 68%.
Old 02-01-09, 06:49 PM
LexFather

The Audi ad does bring home my point that Lexus LS/ES/RX still greatly overshadow the IS/GS and any sportier attempt they have made (like the SC 300/400).

Whats funny is the asshats making fun of Lexus for being FWD and the vast majority of Audis sold here are FWD A4s. There are FWD TTs as well and I believe FWD A6s in Europe.

Sometimes I just want to unplug the internet b/c the ignorance is ridiculous from all sides.

Old 02-01-09, 07:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Link here: http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/previ...ty_pip_preview

I do like how he pauses when he looks at the ES.
He's wishing/hoping the Audi will hold up as well as the previous gen ES
Old 02-01-09, 07:20 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The audi comercial was definitely entertaining and notable. Anybody see the same old Acura TL commercial? They spend that much for a superbowl spot and dont even bother with a new (or notable) commercial. Pathetic.
Old 02-01-09, 07:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I want a supercharged A6. That commercial def. worked for me...but I have no money.
Old 02-01-09, 07:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sigh what makes it more pathetic is that VW and Audis share parts and shared tons of parts in the 1990s.

While I love the ad, it confirms Audi was irrelevant those 3 decades.
Oh please, Audi is a separate company within the group. is Lexus? is infiniti? So now audi is a bigger badge effort than the Japanese? come on, talk about cheap shots.
Old 02-01-09, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wasn't impressed with the Audi A6 commercial that was shown during the first quarter of the Super Bowl. They wrecked two rare old classics to make the commercial......a 1970 +/- vintage Lincoln Mark III, and an early-70's vintage Mercedes. Cars like that are hard to come by nowadays.
Old 02-01-09, 08:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Oh please, Audi is a separate company within the group. is Lexus? is infiniti? So now audi is a bigger badge effort than the Japanese? come on, talk about cheap shots.
All 3 share parts with parent companies. Some more than others. Period. Audi then has A3s, A2s and will have micro cars soon.

Old 02-01-09, 08:18 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would so buy an audi for that commercial.
Old 02-01-09, 09:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice commercial
Old 02-01-09, 09:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

That was an awesome commercial with some $$$ production costs. I like it better than the Hyundai one.

Originally Posted by encore888
Just looking at the Autoblog comments, it's clear that the Lexus digs have some enjoyment from Lexus-bashing enthusiasts...it's different from the approach taken by Hyundai which is more 'the benchmarks are aghast and shocked'/too expensive. From last year's "the car for those that can park themselves" etc. I wonder whether Lexus would deign to respond to Audi. IMO they should focus on continuing the prestige climb and appeal to new drivers. Audi has a different tack as it just surpassed Volvo in sales, it is using an insurgent advertising strategy in an attempt to gain market share.
http://adage.com/article?article_id=134234
IMHO, there's no need for Lexus to respond. In these commercials, Audi has conceded to the fact that they are still trying to play catch up, which means that Lexus has the upper hand. It's smarter for Lexus to NOT get into a pissing match with them, since it would make it seem like Audi is a legit competitor.
Old 02-01-09, 10:08 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

There was that Hyundai Gensis commerical that bashed Lexus and BMW as well
Old 02-01-09, 10:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The commercial was quite good, I liked it. I applaud Audi for once again including a direct comparison to Lexus. Regardless of Audi's intention, this commercial like other previous Audi commercials only further solidifies the idea that Lexus is a top luxury brand up there with Benz and BMW (along with Audi). Hyundai's commercials are doing pretty much the same thing. You don't see Infiniti, Cadillac or Acura being used as direct comparisons, and there is a reason for that. The fact that the Koreans and Germans are now making direct Lexus comparisons shows how much respect they have for Lexus.

Originally Posted by FKL
Regardless of how "separate" Audi is, it is STILL part of the overall VW group. Audi is no more separate than Lexus though, as Lexus for years has had it's own design studio, own set of engineers, own management, it's own designers and it's own product planners. Lexus also has it's own budget. Even though it's a division of Toyota, it's quite separate organizationally from Toyota. From an organizational point of view, Lexus might as well be a "separate company" compared to Toyota.
Old 02-01-09, 10:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
IMHO, there's no need for Lexus to respond. In these commercials, Audi has conceded to the fact that they are still trying to play catch up, which means that Lexus has the upper hand. It's smarter for Lexus to NOT get into a pissing match with them, since it would make it seem like Audi is a legit competitor.
Agreed with your analysis...while they do compete with each other on certain levels, it takes two to tango and turning this into an ad vs. ad war may end up being more about stunts than about the cars. The Audi commercials are interesting...just like the Olympics one where they put in a nice-looking C-Class and swapped it out for an S5 at the end. Another point that was made on another forum, if you're going for conquest sales from the lead makes (BMW/Lexus/Mercedes) it might not help to insult their drivers. Hmmm...
Old 02-01-09, 11:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Regardless of how "separate" Audi is, it is STILL part of the overall VW group. Audi is no more separate than Lexus though, as Lexus for years has had it's own design studio, own set of engineers, own management, it's own designers and it's own product planners. Lexus also has it's own budget. Even though it's a division of Toyota, it's quite separate organizationally from Toyota. From an organizational point of view, Lexus might as well be a "separate company" compared to Toyota.
Of course there will be a certain sort of reciprocity between the two, it makes perfect sense when both companies are the largest in the group. There is a complete difference in the ownership structure, however. Audi AG is a wholly-owned (99.7%) subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group. The Japanese entrants are simply a divisional difference.

It is an entirely cheap shot to even try and argue that Audi somehow a just a badge effort. They designed their own engines, Volkswagen designs their own, they share some. The 1.8T is an Audi engine. Ditto on the 2.8L engine. The DSG is a joint development, the 2.0T is largely an Audi design. The VR6 range is VW designed, ditto with the "W" engines. Audi has vastly different schemes for interior controls (say what you will about the column stalks) of the infotainment and hvac systems. For example, there is no real car between VW/Audi that is comparable like a Camry/ES, Accord/TL, etc. Those platforms are basically carryovers, with different sheet metal and tweaked interiors, yet the fundamentals remain the same. The closest I can envision is the Q7, which is a fair shot to make, yet the Touareg was co-designed with Porsche. Perhaps the 98-05 Passat and 96-01 A4? Yet the Passat is an altered structure spaceframe, longer, entirely different interior/exterior dimensions. You could argue they share the same excellent and costly 4-link front suspension (grossly superior to anything on the accord/camry/es/tl at the time, no torque steer), yet the B5 platform was an Audi effort! The Accord wasn't based off the TL, the other way around! You see where I'm getting at? It doesn't really add up like it does with Lexus and Toyota vehicles. There's nothing wrong with that per say, it works well for them, but it is not nearly the same between VW and Audi. And why would it be, they are separate entities.

Last edited by FKL; 02-01-09 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Funny Audi superbowl commercial