Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Funny Audi superbowl commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 11:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Agreed with your analysis...while they do compete with each other on certain levels, it takes two to tango and turning this into an ad vs. ad war may end up being more about stunts than about the cars. The Audi commercials are interesting...just like the Olympics one where they put in a nice-looking C-Class and swapped it out for an S5 at the end. Another point that was made on another forum, if you're going for conquest sales from the lead makes (BMW/Lexus/Mercedes) it might not help to insult their drivers. Hmmm...
I wonder if Lexus will decide to change course given that Audi has a slightly higher brand awareness rating in the United States.
Old 02-02-09, 01:55 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
I wonder if Lexus will decide to change course given that Audi has a slightly higher brand awareness rating in the United States.
What is the source? Assuming that such source is trustworthy, part of that brand awareness clearly stems from the high profile marketing campaigns such as this one, as well as many blatant in-movie appearances i.e. Transporter and Iron Man. The caveat is that awareness does not necessarily translate to sales. The avg. consumer may recognize the R8 because of Iron Man + commercials, but it doesn't mean that he would visit an Audi dealership the next time he's looking for a sedan. Marketing is so tricky.. sometimes it's hard to foresee whether a certain direction would pan out.
Old 02-02-09, 02:05 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
That's incorrect - if you read the CNW marketing results, the set of numbers are for a) brand awareness, b) brand opinion, and c) brand consideration -- not the same, one is a) who knows the brand, b) what one thinks of the brand, and c) who will buy the brand. The article states that "major competitors, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, have higher scores" for those categories. For brand awareness, people know the Lexus brand in the US for sure, they don't even need to use the word 'Lexus' in their ad logos anymore. As for people who will buy, the numbers from CNW, as I quoted earlier, are:

Would consider buying (2008):
Audi 52%
Lexus 68%

Clearly the ads will help make the brand awareness and consideration numbers go up.

Last edited by encore888; 02-02-09 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 03:23 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Sometimes I just want to unplug the internet b/c the ignorance is ridiculous from all sides.
QFT!

I have so many things to say but I don't wanna get banned or have my comments deleted lol
Old 02-02-09, 06:18 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leedogg
The audi comercial was definitely entertaining and notable. Anybody see the same old Acura TL commercial? They spend that much for a superbowl spot and dont even bother with a new (or notable) commercial. Pathetic.
Yes, pretty pathetic. The worst part, though, is that Acura was one of only a few Super Bowl advertisers that didn't even bother to do it in high def!!!
Old 02-02-09, 06:42 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by FKL
Of course there will be a certain sort of reciprocity between the two, it makes perfect sense when both companies are the largest in the group. There is a complete difference in the ownership structure, however. Audi AG is a wholly-owned (99.7%) subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group. The Japanese entrants are simply a divisional difference.

It is an entirely cheap shot to even try and argue that Audi somehow a just a badge effort. They designed their own engines, Volkswagen designs their own, they share some. The 1.8T is an Audi engine. Ditto on the 2.8L engine. The DSG is a joint development, the 2.0T is largely an Audi design. The VR6 range is VW designed, ditto with the "W" engines. Audi has vastly different schemes for interior controls (say what you will about the column stalks) of the infotainment and hvac systems. For example, there is no real car between VW/Audi that is comparable like a Camry/ES, Accord/TL, etc. Those platforms are basically carryovers, with different sheet metal and tweaked interiors, yet the fundamentals remain the same. The closest I can envision is the Q7, which is a fair shot to make, yet the Touareg was co-designed with Porsche. Perhaps the 98-05 Passat and 96-01 A4? Yet the Passat is an altered structure spaceframe, longer, entirely different interior/exterior dimensions. You could argue they share the same excellent and costly 4-link front suspension (grossly superior to anything on the accord/camry/es/tl at the time, no torque steer), yet the B5 platform was an Audi effort! The Accord wasn't based off the TL, the other way around! You see where I'm getting at? It doesn't really add up like it does with Lexus and Toyota vehicles. There's nothing wrong with that per say, it works well for them, but it is not nearly the same between VW and Audi. And why would it be, they are separate entities.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Audis and VWs LOOK so much alike. To the normal person (not enthusiasts like you and me) they wouldn't be able to tell that underneath the sheet metal they have very different cars. It's mainly in the fact they have that split grille with the bumper running through the middle. And even though VW and Audi are separate brands within the same umbrella AG doesn't mean that's different from Toyota Lexus. Think of it this way, Ford Motor Company is the umbrella AG with several companies within some of which have been buyouts (Jag, RR, Volvo). Jaguar and RR (before they were sold off) were companies on their own right but they were owned by Ford. They still shared engines and drivetrains and even chassis. So try not to think that VW and Audi are parent/child companies but more of siblings, same with Toyota and Lexus, the parent company is the holding AG (which don't produce products: GM, FoMoCo, ToMoCo, VWAG, etc.)
Old 02-02-09, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yes, pretty pathetic. The worst part, though, is that Acura was one of only a few Super Bowl advertisers that didn't even bother to do it in high def!!!
What was even funnier is after the ad, you see and hear "lease a new Acura TL for $399 a month". Its clear they are not selling and in only 4 months have to revert to cheap leases to get people to buy it.

Old 02-02-09, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Audis and VWs LOOK so much alike. To the normal person (not enthusiasts like you and me) they wouldn't be able to tell that underneath the sheet metal they have very different cars. It's mainly in the fact they have that split grille with the bumper running through the middle. And even though VW and Audi are separate brands within the same umbrella AG doesn't mean that's different from Toyota Lexus. Think of it this way, Ford Motor Company is the umbrella AG with several companies within some of which have been buyouts (Jag, RR, Volvo). Jaguar and RR (before they were sold off) were companies on their own right but they were owned by Ford. They still shared engines and drivetrains and even chassis. So try not to think that VW and Audi are parent/child companies but more of siblings, same with Toyota and Lexus, the parent company is the holding AG (which don't produce products: GM, FoMoCo, ToMoCo, VWAG, etc.)
Don't belive that hype. They share parts, they share engines, platforms, electronics, transmissions, just like Lexus/Toyota. Both companies do a good job seperating both brands though.

Again, Audi has the A3 and A2 and will build micro cars. Lexus does NOT compete is those sub entry level/economy segments. Audi does.

Old 02-02-09, 10:20 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Did either of you two bother reading my post? I clearly stated why I stand with the position I do. I'd like to see some thing substantive beyond broad generalized statments like "they all look alike, they all use the same engine", which is just not true.

Please prove me wrong.
Old 02-02-09, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Did either of you two bother reading my post? I clearly stated why I stand with the position I do. I'd like to see some thing substantive beyond broad generalized statments like "they all look alike, they all use the same engine", which is just not true.

Please prove me wrong.
I ask you the same question. If anyting, Audi/VW shares more than ever. Tourag/Cayenne/Q7 is another example. Q5/Tiguan is another example. Get over it, its not a bad thing, for companies to survive, they MUST share parts. Audis are not bespoke, cut the crap. Hell even Lambo now uses Audi parts and thats peeved some loyal Lambo fans. They are better than ever but they have lost that speacialness for mass production to SURVIVE.

I wasn't going to go there but for some odd reason you think VW/Audi are seperate and Lexus/Toyota are together.

So get this through your skull and I DIDN'T want to bring it up.

VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi SHARE TONS OF PARTS.

Yes, add SEAT and SKODA to the mix.

Again, its NOT a bad thing. Stop acting like VW/Audi are not comparable in parts sharing to Toyota/Lexus.

Do you know one of the main reasons Porsche bought VW? So they can SHARE PARTS and DEVELOPMENT costs.

Old 02-02-09, 01:28 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by FKL

Please prove me wrong.
Did you read my post? I'm not even disagreeing with you.
I said that Toyota and Lexus are just the same as VW and Audi. Neither are a parent/child relationship. They're siblings within the respective companies so they share common things. So neither are "upscale" versions of the other. They're both just as independent from their sibling counterparts.
Old 02-02-09, 02:36 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I ask you the same question. If anyting, Audi/VW shares more than ever. Tourag/Cayenne/Q7 is another example. Q5/Tiguan is another example. Get over it, its not a bad thing, for companies to survive, they MUST share parts. Audis are not bespoke, cut the crap. Hell even Lambo now uses Audi parts and thats peeved some loyal Lambo fans. They are better than ever but they have lost that speacialness for mass production to SURVIVE.

I wasn't going to go there but for some odd reason you think VW/Audi are seperate and Lexus/Toyota are together.

So get this through your skull and I DIDN'T want to bring it up.

VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi SHARE TONS OF PARTS.

Yes, add SEAT and SKODA to the mix.

Again, its NOT a bad thing. Stop acting like VW/Audi are not comparable in parts sharing to Toyota/Lexus.

Do you know one of the main reasons Porsche bought VW? So they can SHARE PARTS and DEVELOPMENT costs.
Well you're wrong about the Q5 and the Tiguan, entirely, but I'll let you research that on your own. Skoda/Seats are rebadged Volkswagen's - I will never, ever argue such a point, but you're straying (perhaps because you cannot possibly justify your stance): Volkswagen and Audi are far more distinguished in terms of managment than that of their Asian competition. The writing is on the wall - Audi AG is a separate company, that tells you everything. Audi has far more control under the corporate strucutre than what the brand facets of Lexus, Acura and Infiniti have. They are entirely controlled by the corporation. I'm not arguing that there is no influence at all from VW AG (an entirely foolish thing to say), but the influence and direction is greatly smaller than it is between the Japanese luxury brands. Honestly it's not accurate to state that the vw/audi relationship is identicle between the relationships of the Japanese manfuactures. The ownership structure, along with endless examples of differing engineering/design/managment endeavors proves it. There is nothing wrong with overt control, it's just the way the brands are created over the last twenty of some years (Audi has been around for a much longer period). I could continue to delve into endless reasons and examples to back up my point, but if every coutner argumetment is going to consist of factually inaccurate insubstantiated generalizations lined with condescending bolded and enlarged print, I'm done. I've made every point I've like to make to back up what is the truth. Thanks and goodbye.
Old 02-02-09, 03:18 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Audi isn't in the same class as Lexus, BMW and MB, and they know it.

Pretty good ad, but totally doesn't make sense.
Old 02-03-09, 06:16 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Audi isn't in the same class, as Lexus, BMW and MB, and they know it.

Pretty good ad, but totally doesn't make sense.
I totally disagree with your statement. Car sales don't make you in a different class. The actual car does.
Please post what car Lexus produce that puts them in a different class?
On another note, I think it was a well thought out commercial.