Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 10:50 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a little side note..every CC I have seen has white gauge lighting in the cluster?

btw, that "battery cover" is designed and engineered to prevent moisture corrosion on the battery terminals. There's a reason it's on there! I see you noticed the hydraulic hood assist and underhood lining. But did you notice the way the engine bay is designed, so one's hand can sit down on the front without touching anything hot or hitting the fan? It's designed that way on even the most basic golfs. There is something to be said for attention to detail.

Last edited by FKL; 02-01-09 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This car is loaded with style. Its a refreshing new model on the scene. If they could only make them reliable
Old 02-01-09, 11:14 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

passat won the award as the most improved car in JD Power's 2008 ratings.

The newer generation jettas and passats have much, much, much (did I say much) less costly issues than the prior generation cars. Electrical issues are virtually non-existant, no suspension control arm/bushing failures, no window regulator failures, no leaking gaskets/bad coils, etc.

my favorite:

Old 02-01-09, 11:27 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FKL

The newer generation jettas and passats have much, much, much (did I say much) less costly issues than the prior generation cars. Electrical issues are virtually non-existant, no suspension control arm/bushing failures, no window regulator failures, no leaking gaskets/bad coils, etc.
I'll believe it in a few years, and when their dealer service and overall accountability improve.
Old 02-02-09, 05:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
VW hasn't offered the DSG on the Passat's yet. Just on the GTI/GLI and R32 I believe.
Yes they have....on European-spec model CCs. (see Jeremy Clarkson's review, posted here in CAR CHAT...although he is not as enamored with the DSG as I am). They just won't offer it here any more for marketing and cost reasons. I plan to disuss this with VW/Audi reps at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show later this week.

Yes, they do offer it on the VW R32....I reviewed an R32 with it. But the R32 is not a typical sedan...it is a semi-performance car. VW and Audi used to offer it on most of their American-spec models. Now they don't.

Most Americans would feel that the Tiptronic is smoother in overall day to day driving use, which is a lot of the reason why VW hasn't put it on the American VW's and even the American Audi's. Hopefully they'll put the 7 speed DSG on the U.S. S4 coming soon.
Both, granted, are smooth and seamless, but the DSG is more efficient, and seems to give slightly better throttle response.

I find the CC, and the IS-F and the X6 odd in their replacement of the middle rear seat with plastic consoles rather than the seat. I know the middle seats are largely useless, but it'd be nice to have in a pinch.
If you sit down on it, that's just what you will get.......a pinch.
Old 02-02-09, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL

Perhaps. But only time will tell, as it did with Hyundai....one or two years is not necessarily the whole story. U.S.-market VWs have a well-deserved reputation for below-average reliability, especially electronics and hardware. That's why I said in the review that, especially with the CC being a new design, there is some measure of rolling the dice with it.
Old 02-02-09, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
on a little side note..every CC I have seen has white gauge lighting in the cluster?

Maybe. You might have a point. I didn't drive the CC at night, but I usually shade the gauges as much as possible and try the dash lights. It could be a running spec-change on the cars you saw, or it could just be the way my eyes reacted to the reflections.
Old 02-02-09, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
btw, that "battery cover" is designed and engineered to prevent moisture corrosion on the battery terminals. There's a reason it's on there! I see you noticed the hydraulic hood assist and underhood lining. But did you notice the way the engine bay is designed, so one's hand can sit down on the front without touching anything hot or hitting the fan? It's designed that way on even the most basic golfs. There is something to be said for attention to detail.
Yes, I always take a detailed look underhood how the engine fits in, the amount of space available around the block for reaching components, and whether or not access is hampered by covers and general design....that is a standard part of my reviews, and I comment on it. And I always note the use of struts, a prop-rod, and whether or not I think that it is appropriate for a vehicle in that price class.

I disagree somewhat, on the idea of use of the battery covers just to ward off corrosion. First, the chemical and electrical reactions at the terminals that occur with battery use and recharging are going to occur regardless of whether the battery is covered or not. Second, moisture is probably not going to get in if the hood is sealed properly (as most are these days). Third, it usually fits in with the "image" factor of trying to make a "clean" look under the hood simply for cosmetic purposes....especially on upmarket cars. Fourth, a cover just makes battery access that much more inconvenient if/when you need to get in and remove any corrosion that DOES occur. Many owners don't do that themselves any more, but techincians in the service bay do.....and their work and charges is usually based by the hour.
Old 02-02-09, 06:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So--I took a look on the VW website. It looks like, if you opt for the back up camera, that the camera lens pops out of the VW emblem on the trunk. I realize that VW is going for sleek styling, but does this really make sense? With a recent history of reliability issues, why would you want to add complexity and more mechanical parts to a system like that. I predict that the VW reliability improvements will be short lived.
Old 02-02-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So--I took a look on the VW website. It looks like, if you opt for the back up camera, that the camera lens pops out of the VW emblem on the trunk. I realize that VW is going for sleek styling, but does this really make sense? With a recent history of reliability issues, why would you want to add complexity and more mechanical parts to a system like that. I predict that the VW reliability improvements will be short lived.
I agree with you to some extent, but back-up cameras, no matter where you actually place the camera lens itself, have come to be expected by much of the auto-buying as a "necessity", and they do, in fact, help guard against back-up accidents with children, pets, and other objects.

This shows just how addicted we have become today to automotive gadgets. When I was growing up with cars, air-conditioning, power windows, doors, mirrors, keyless entry/exit, etc...were considered luxuries. Now they are standard equipment on all but the absolute bargain-basement entry-level cars.

But complexity alone does not necessarily equal unreliability. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura all make relatively complex but reliable vehicles. The Europeans, however, have not followed suit, though there is some evidence that they are finally catching up in reliability.
Old 02-02-09, 06:45 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

great review as usual

Dallas Auto Show is later this month, and the CC will be a car I definitely spend some time looking at. I really like the styling, but the rear seat head and leg room issues may be a deal breaker for my family. I'm 6'3, and my wife is 6 foot, so the chances that our 2 boys (5 and 7 right now) are going to be shorter than me are pretty slim. My 7 year old is already close to 5 feet tall

Thanks again!
Old 02-02-09, 07:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Coming, as I do from the automotive generation that offered two options, radio (AM band only) and heater in most new cars, I am also amazed at the length of today's option lists. The idea is to allow a buyer to customize his new car very specifically to his tastes, but it wreaks havoc with the inventory. Most dealers order common options for most of their vehicles, plus a few "loaded" examples for their showrooms.

If you doubt the wisdom of such a catholic array options, look at almost any Porsche options list - where you can tick off not only which interior components you want swathed in leather, but also the color, type of finish, and stitching on it. All of this is available at considerable extra cost, elevating a mid-line 911 to Bentley prices by injudicious use of your pen.

A friend recently purchased a gently used V-8 Phaeton, and that is one amazing ride. I think he paid something like $23K, and so far it looks like an outstanding deal. I'm hoping for his sake that it hangs together, because with a new home and two daughters about to enter college in a couple of years, he doesn't need any nasty surprises. Thanks for another fine review, Mike.
Old 02-02-09, 07:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Farfegnugen!

What a beautiful interior this car has. Best in class imo.. Good review Marshall
Old 02-02-09, 08:11 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VW and Audi used to offer it on most of their American-spec models. Now they don't.
What American-spec models outside of the GTI/GLI and now TDI, R32, EOS, and Audi TT and A3 offered the DSG?

Last edited by pbm317; 02-02-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 09:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps. But only time will tell, as it did with Hyundai....one or two years is not necessarily the whole story. U.S.-market VWs have a well-deserved reputation for below-average reliability, especially electronics and hardware. That's why I said in the review that, especially with the CC being a new design, there is some measure of rolling the dice with it.
Even a company with the cache of Mercedes has a similar situation where it needs to prove a reliability trend over a period of years.

In today's marketplace it is not acceptable to have 1st year production runs equating to trouble for the buyer. Robust reliability and quality comes as the result of proper testing before release to production. Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus have done an excellent job at this for the most part and even Mercedes touts the pre-release testing of its new C-class which had good results for early buyers.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC