Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I find the door weight indicitive of quality. The A4 and 3-Series are both the same way. I don't like the "light" doors that Honda and Toyota do, feels less vault like.
Chrysler products, in general, seem to have the flimsiest doors.....followed by domestically-designed GM cars (not necessarily the SUVs).

But remember that, no matter how flimsy the door sheet metal itself feels, or how it sounds when it closes, that underneath are strong, DOT-approved, steel guard beams to pass a side-impact test. If it doesn't pass, the car can't be sold in America.
Old 02-10-09, 01:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I saw my first CC on the street last weekend. I guess that justifies the millions they spent on pointless ads.
Old 02-10-09, 01:40 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But remember that, no matter how flimsy the door sheet metal itself feels, or how it sounds when it closes, that underneath are strong, DOT-approved, steel guard beams to pass a side-impact test. If it doesn't pass, the car can't be sold in America.
Bingo!

If both serve the same purpose then I'll rather take the lighter one. Why take on the additional weights when it is not necessary? The feel? I'll pass.

Also not to forget that most of the time the "heavy feel" is due to the door hinge design rather than the actually weight of the door. Some people like the heavy feeling but others like the ease of opening/closing with the lighter ones. At the end it's to each of his/her own.
Old 02-10-09, 01:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Bingo!

If both serve the same purpose then I'll rather take the lighter one. Why take on the additional weights when it is not necessary? The feel? I'll pass.

Also not to forget that most of the time the "heavy feel" is due to the door hinge design rather than the actually weight of the door. Some people like the heavy feeling but others like the ease of opening/closing with the lighter ones. At the end it's to each of his/her own.
I agree much of the feel at least concerning "heaviness" is the door hinge design.

But the sound and solidness of a Lexus and Mercedes door is above most of the competition giving a extra sense of quality. When I do door opening/closing comparisons of the Lexus IS and new Mercedes C-class in my quiet garage I can hardly tell any difference in terms of the quality feel and sound.

And I'm not a fan of car companies only doing what's required by law when it comes to side impact and door safety. It's common knowledge that side impact exposes the "weakness" in current car designs more than any other type of common collision and it's viewed as the area for increased focus on life-saving attention. So I prefer the more solid doors of the Benz/Lexus/Beemers for example for safety reasons, IMHO, not a good place to give lightness the highest priority.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-11-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 11:25 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Bingo!

This reminds me of when I read some users saying that BMW heaving is so heavy it hurts their arms, and that they want light, over boosted and numb steering becuase it "feels good".

There's nothing great about light, flibsy feeling doors. My Honda Accord, in comparison to the Volkswagen Passat, feels like they are half the weight. The strikers are less substantial, the hinge is much less substantial (plastic pull, my god), and the weather stripping is less intricate. The sound when it closes doesn't sound anywhere near the vault like doors of the Passat. It's called build quality. To each their own.
Old 02-11-09, 12:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
There's nothing great about light, flibsy feeling doors. My Honda Accord, in comparison to the Volkswagen Passat, feels like they are half the weight. The strikers are less substantial, the hinge is much less substantial (plastic pull, my god), and the weather stripping is less intricate. The sound when it closes doesn't sound anywhere near the vault like doors of the Passat. It's called build quality. To each their own.
I agree, and buyers of premium cars often demand it.