Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson tests the VW CC. 3 out of 5 stars

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 05:38 PM
LexFather

Post Clarkson tests the VW CC. 3 out of 5 stars

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...ffset=0&page=1

Well it’s simple, really. You can dress a VW Passat up in whatever you like in the same way that you can dress me up in whatever you like. But underneath I’m still the same clod-hopping, fat, wheezing, middle-aged man.

Old 02-01-09, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I reviewed a CC today myself, by CL request. His car had the VR6, AWD, DSG, and an adjustable suspension...mine didn't.

His review verified that the DSG is still available in Europe....something that the VW people told me today. Here in America, VW is generally replacing it with the Tiptronic.

Looks like he agreed with me on the low roof banging heads, the well-finished trunk, the restricted back seat, and the eye-opening interior. He doesn't seem quite as enamored with the DSG, though, as I was on the previous ones I've tested. Most of the rest of what he says, though, seems to be mostly about image.
Old 02-01-09, 07:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to see what he has to say about a Japanese camry or accord if he thinks the passat is fat and wheezing!!
Old 02-01-09, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I'd love to see what he has to say about a Japanese camry or accord if he thinks the passat is fat and wheezing!!
I'm not sure about the Camry, but the non-U.S. market Accord is substantially smaller than the American-spec version. The smaller, overseas-market Accord is actually marketed here as the Acura TSX.
Old 02-01-09, 11:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the design. usually the low roof lines that look sporty and slek result in a roof line that will not allow comfortable commuting for the fat and tall americans its trying to make its customers
Old 02-02-09, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like the design. usually the low roof lines that look sporty and slek result in a roof line that will not allow comfortable commuting for the fat and tall americans its trying to make its customers
While it is true that people usually CAN control their weight if they try hard enough, they have little or no control over their height.

That is why I note headroom and ease of entry/exit for taller persons in my reviews (and apparantly, so does Clarkson, if it is an issue). This is an important consideration for people considering the vehicle purchase...or carrying tall people in the back seat.
Old 02-02-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An attractive, sleek and low roofline has a price to pay, as owners of sports cars are very familiar with. Of course it needs to fit (the owner).
Old 02-02-09, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Further back still, we find a boot that is vast, and as we slam it we’re left scratching our heads. Cavernous, well priced, good looking and nicely trimmed. So where’s the catch? Apart from the municipal golf club handle.
Clarkson is correct here that the boot (a British term for trunk) is good-sized and nicely-finished, but the small trunk opening itself is shrunk way down by the slope of the rear roofline.
Old 02-02-09, 01:19 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That is why I note headroom and ease of entry/exit for taller persons in my reviews (and apparantly, so does Clarkson, if it is an issue). This is an important consideration for people considering the vehicle purchase...or carrying tall people in the back seat.
FYI mmarshall, Clarkson is 6'5"
Old 02-02-09, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
FYI mmarshall, Clarkson is 6'5"
So is 1SICKLEX, I believe. I know he's taller than I am, 6' 2".