Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Lexus LS (With a 3.5 V6 ?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 06:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope those are chops because I don't like the changes. Tail lights look too busy and the head lights look crowded.
Old 02-02-09, 08:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I see nothing wrong with producing a V6 version of this car in the states. The 3.5L V6 delivers 306hp and will get this car moving. Heck, the 2009 Jaguar XJ sedan churns out 300hp from its V8..
Old 02-02-09, 08:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I see nothing wrong with producing a V6 version of this car in the states. The 3.5L V6 delivers 306hp and will get this car moving. Heck, the 2009 Jaguar XJ sedan churns out 300hp from its V8..
+1. Todays V6's are just as strong as Yesterdays V8's. If they do it though, then a sportier GS is necessary.
Old 02-02-09, 08:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can understand that, for most owners of the LS (a good majority of comfy slow riders, not most of the members on CL), a V6 would suffice.

However, it does pose a problem regarding prestige and exclusivity. I don't want the LS(350) to have the same image problem the Acura RL or Infiniti M. If the LS wants to cut costs, it should do so by making the base model less tech-savvy, instead of offering a weaker engine. What you end up with is the GS460. And there should NEVER ever be inter-brand competition by offering an LS350 similarly priced as (or lower than) the GS460.

My advice is not to water-down the LS, but to reinvent and invigorate the 4GS.

By doing so, Lexus will maintain the LS's reputation amongst the sea of luxo-limo-sedans, while the GS provides the similar amenities on a sportier chassis with the option for the V6.
Old 02-02-09, 08:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I can understand that, for most owners of the LS (a good majority of comfy slow riders, not most of the members on CL), a V6 would suffice.

However, it does pose a problem regarding prestige and exclusivity. I don't want the LS(350) to have the same image problem the Acura RL or Infiniti M. If the LS wants to cut costs, it should do so by making the base model less tech-savvy, instead of offering a weaker engine. What you end up with is the GS460. And there should NEVER ever be inter-brand competition by offering an LS350 similarly priced as (or lower than) the GS460.

My advice is not to water-down the LS, but to reinvent and invigorate the 4GS.

By doing so, Lexus will maintain the LS's reputation amongst the sea of luxo-limo-sedans, while the GS provides the similar amenities on a sportier chassis with the option for the V6.
In the current issue of C&D they test the Genesis with the 3.8 V6 and seem to prefer it over the V8. It costs less, is lighter, and matches the V8 in performance (0-60 and 1/4 mile) while getting slightly better gas mileage.

But as you said, in the LS's segment, prestige and exclusivity are very important, making a V8 seem mandatory..
Old 02-02-09, 09:12 AM
LexFather

The 3.5 V6 is strong enough for the LS. Funny but its performance will be like the old LS V-8s amazingly. Makes sense. A LS 450h would be great too.

Old 02-02-09, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
What a find. It has been a reaccuring theme in my posts. The LS is not the LS is once was as the competition has move farther upscale. The current LS is not the class leader that the LS430 once was. To move sales, Lexus either moves the LS into S class/Maybach territory or move in down class. The GS has to go. The LS is the new GS.

Acura got it right by not offering a v8
Infiniti got it right by canning the Q
BMW has confirmed no more V8 for the 7 series.
Even Cadillac got it right by not redesigning the 4.6 Northstar.

Lexus needs to get there act together. Either move Lexus farther upscale or stay behind by going down a level with a v6 for their flagship.

There are some members who will be dissappointed to read this news when they wake up this Monday morning....

I am tempted to delete your post b/c its so inaccurate and off base I pray no one reads it. That post is utterly RIDICULOUS and not even worth debating. BMW has a TWIN TURBO V-8 if you missed it and DaShocker has informed us the V-12 is indeed coming. Acura is not a luxury brand and the Q45 failed for 2 decades, let it rest.

Seriously, stop it.

Old 02-02-09, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Big deal, Mercedes has been doing V6's in top models in Europe for years.

But this thread wasted my time.
Old 02-02-09, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I am tempted to delete your post b/c its so inaccurate and off base I pray no one reads it. That post is utterly RIDICULOUS and not even worth debating. BMW has a TWIN TURBO V-8 if you missed it and DaShocker has informed us the V-12 is indeed coming. Acura is not a luxury brand and the Q45 failed for 2 decades, let it rest.

Seriously, stop it.
I also don't agree, but censorship in a non-communist nation is not necessary.
Old 02-02-09, 09:44 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Seriously, stop it.
Absolutely not. BMW is considering ditching all new v8 development and sticking only to v6 with turbo charging.

http://www.nationalpost.com/cars/sto...b16b6ecb81&p=1

As for the Q and no flagship for Acura. Flagships like the current LS are done. The LS is a $75k car. Move it more upscale not down with a v6. Lexus can do so much more with the GS V6 and V8 if they move the LS into super flagship status.
Old 02-02-09, 09:45 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Goodness, someone please confirm this to be a photoshop because that looks horrible. The Camry Hybrid-like tails on this car totally kill the look. Can lie with the front end, but not too excited about it. Don't agree with a V-6 in these cars, but understand that it may be needed in order to keep sales bolstered. Just nothing like having this big car and having the power of a V-8 on hand when needed; not that us LS owners really push the car that hard.
Old 02-02-09, 09:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-02-09, 10:22 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Absolutely not. BMW is considering ditching all new v8 development and sticking only to v6 with turbo charging.

http://www.nationalpost.com/cars/sto...b16b6ecb81&p=1

As for the Q and no flagship for Acura. Flagships like the current LS are done. The LS is a $75k car. Move it more upscale not down with a v6. Lexus can do so much more with the GS V6 and V8 if they move the LS into super flagship status.

The BMW 750i has a 4.4 V8 twin turbo...... care to explain that?

Last edited by LexFather; 02-02-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 10:26 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1

The BMW 750i has a 4.4 V8 twin turbo...... care to explain that?

Retard.
Reread what I posted from the National post. BMW is considering cancelling all new V8 development and only going with turbo charged engines. BMW clearly sees that current 7 series is going slightly down market. As for the LS, move it up to $100,000 territory.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/02/b...avor-of-fours/

This is older news from Autoblog.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-02-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 10:29 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
hahahahaha, yup

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus LS (With a 3.5 V6 ?)