Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Lexus LS (With a 3.5 V6 ?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 03:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Exactly. There is a point where a smaller engine is going to have to work harder to do the same amount of work which usually eats into gas mileage and performance.

Considering performance and efficiency I really see nothing wrong with the 4.6L V8...only reason I can see to add a V6 would be cost, and even then, would it really be worth it? I would venture to say no with all things considered.
Well the LS460 weighs the same as a 3.5 Toyota Sienna. However a 3.5 AWD Sienna weighs 200lbs more that a LS460. They have similar MPG although the Sienna has three less gears than the LS

The 3.5 will do fine in the LS and should get better MPG with an 8 speed transmission.
Old 02-02-09, 03:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
While I am never one to defend the in-many-ways inferior LS range
Dude, come on
Old 02-02-09, 03:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Absolutely not. BMW is considering ditching all new v8 development and sticking only to v6 with turbo charging.
BMW doesn't have V6 motors in their line up. get it right.
Old 02-02-09, 03:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
While I am never one to defend the in-many-ways inferior LS range
Do you have anything superior to the so called an "inferior" LS range?
Old 02-02-09, 03:35 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

dont really likeing the tails or wheels
Old 02-02-09, 03:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
they should put in a TT V6
a TT would cost as much/more than a V8.

there would be no point then.

and LS owners are not looking to save money on gas. usually.

Originally Posted by G2low
dont really likeing the tails or wheels
don't worry. those are fake.
Old 02-02-09, 03:39 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I think a V6 version of the LS would do fine and expand the LS line. Just because its a flagship doesnt mean it has to have big power from a big V8. People will still know that the LS in the Lexus range means flagship, its the biggest sedan Lexus makes, even in short wheelbase trim, its still bigger than the GS and ES in length and headroom, especially in the backseat.

I also think if Lexus did make the V6 version, it would be overlap between the GS 460 and GS 450h, making it a hard decision for purchasing, too many cars in the base price range between 55k-60k range, excluding the IS-F.

Mercedes brought over a S350 and it didnt make it any less luxurious. Only real difference I saw was smaller wheels and regular halogen headlamps.

Its not like Lexus would put less wood in the car or put some really cheap leather in it. I'm sure it would still be up to LS standards in terms of Luxury and be considered the big dog of the Lexus lineup.
Old 02-02-09, 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
While I am never one to defend the in-many-ways inferior LS range, it is a prudent move on Lexus's part to throw a V6 powertrain on the car. As stated, Mercedes already does this on many of their European and Asian sold S-Class models, so why it would cause such a circus is beyond me.

My guess is they are doing this to further reduce the entry point for the LS (strictly in the American market). I don't see much fuel improvment over a larger engine given the size and weight of this automobile.
Car Chat = Circus, at least when compared to many other forums. It's not just this topic. Sometimes I wonder if anybody here even owns a car. LOL

I agree about the reasoning for V6, based more on the price point and to a lessor extent on the measurable and modest improvement in gas mileage.
Old 02-02-09, 04:29 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I think some of you don't realize that a luxo-sedan (heavy) buzzing around in a V6 straining to pull the weight is not exactly efficient.
I am not an engineer but I believe those memories of the 1980s are far behind us. A modern V6 should easily be capable of hauling around an overweight car like an LS etc. You can influence the transmission gearing or tickle out a bit more torque from the engine to achieve the desired propulsion characteristics. If the LS V6 will be offered with the 8 speed transmission, then you have a wide range of gears you can modify for optimal performance-economy characteristics.

Just look at how well a V6 S class or 7 series performs: effortlessly. Besides, people going for a V6 will clearly be more interested comfort features and enjoying the car rather than enjoying pure performance. It goes without saying that most LS460 or S550 owners most likely have never really hammered their vehicle. Remember, these cars are generally bought by older consumers that drive in an elegant and relaxed manor. Most of us here are what, in their mid to late 20s (I am assuming)?

@ MPLexus: I have not been following much automotive news lately, but wasn't Lexus criticized for presenting MPG claims that weren't attainable? I know the LS600h seems to be a good example and I've heard some complaints regarding this issue with the LS460 as well.
Old 02-02-09, 04:38 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

By the way I really think this is a good decision on Lexus' part. Ok, so will automatically attract more buyers because it will be cheaper than the LS460 and most likely come with the same standard features. That basically divides the buyers who want the "LS350" because of the perceived fuel economy benefits and the buyers who are going for the LS460 because of status, power and other perceptions. I am almost positive that there are a lot of potential customers out there that want an LS firstly because of the features and comfort, not really performance. Offering a V6 will mean that you can pretty much get these people into your showroom and hopefully leaving with an "LS350".

One thing I have been wondering about is how this V6 LS may sell in Europe. Truth be told, an S350/730i/A8 3.2 is pretty rare here. What you do see are the respective diesel versions, the S320 CDI/730d/A8 3.0 TDI. Lexus has nothing to compete in this class, the bestseller upper luxury class in Europe. The 2.2 diesel from the IS220d lacks the refinement of its European rivals and is way to underpowered to be moving a fullsize like the LS around. What Lexus really needs a specially designed V6 diesel for this very specific niche of the upper luxury class in Europe.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-09, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This should lay to rest, once and for all, the oft-quoted notion that luxury-car flagships HAVE to have a V8. If Lexus can put a V6 in its LS flagship, then anybody can.

(yes, including Acura...though I'll concede that Acura, unlike Lexus, still doesn't have a V8 to upgrade to)

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 04:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You guys bring up some good points about a strong modern V6 being capable in a heavy luxury car.

A recent real example was the Mercedes ML350 that I used to own. It had a 3.5L 268 hp DOHC V6 with a 7 speed tranny. This chubby SUV weighed 4800 pounds+ and had mediocre aerodynamics when compared to a car. It was plenty quick with 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and top speed of over 135mph (governed), per C&D. Sure the V8 version was faster but the gas mileage difference and purchase cost difference was significant.
Old 02-02-09, 05:00 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I can understand that, for most owners of the LS (a good majority of comfy slow riders, not most of the members on CL), a V6 would suffice.

However, it does pose a problem regarding prestige and exclusivity. I don't want the LS(350) to have the same image problem the Acura RL or Infiniti M. If the LS wants to cut costs, it should do so by making the base model less tech-savvy, instead of offering a weaker engine. What you end up with is the GS460. And there should NEVER ever be inter-brand competition by offering an LS350 similarly priced as (or lower than) the GS460.
I don't think they need to make the base LS350 less tech-savvy. The base MSRP for the GS350 is around 45k. The base MSRP for the GS460 is around 53k (about 8k difference in price). The base MSRP for the LS460 is almost 64k. So the base MSRP difference between the GS460 and LS460 is about 11k. If they could undercut the base MSRP of the LS460 by even 6k using the V6 in the LS350, they could fill in the price gap between the base MSRP of the GS460 and the LS460. A base MSRP of 58k for the LS350 could potentially attract many new buyers who may have previously felt the the LS was out of their price range. I think it's a good idea
Old 02-02-09, 05:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV

@ MPLexus: I have not been following much automotive news lately, but wasn't Lexus criticized for presenting MPG claims that weren't attainable? I know the LS600h seems to be a good example and I've heard some complaints regarding this issue with the LS460 as well.
Most of those MPG criticisms that I read were about Priuses- I have not read any about the newer Lexus models. If anything it seems to me like the revised EPA ratings have really hurt Lexus because when I worked at a dealership I saw several of their cars on a regular basis with numbers above the sticker.

Just as a few examples...

A lot of the GS 350 and IS 350 owners can do 27-28mpg on the highway when cruising. When I drove a 2006 GS 300 over the summer I averaged 33mpg on the highway at 70mph. Average combined mileage for GS350s that I have seen in customer cars is probably about 22-23MPG.

Many IS 250 owners average 27-28MPG combined, sometimes over 30MPG on the highway.

It's pretty common to see an LS460 do 28-31MPG on the highway at 75MPH. Most of the LS 460s that I have driven average around 24mpg combined.

RX400hs average 26-27mpg in combined driving.

ISF owners are getting 26-27mpg in highway driving and most are getting high teens/low 20s in nonaggressive combined driving.

I was really pretty shocked when I started seeing such high numbers on some of these cars regularly. The new direct injection V6s and V8s are wonderfully efficient engines...much more so than the window sticker would suggest.
Old 02-02-09, 06:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Current mileage EPA numbers/estimates are closer to reality. The earlier EPA numbers were unrealistic especially for hybrids.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus LS (With a 3.5 V6 ?)