Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2009 Automobile Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 11:59 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;4220443]The new RX/HS and IS-C can't come fast enough. It might help end of the year. I already predicted Infiniti would be under 100k but I didn't expect Acura to do the same.
QUOTE]

I can't see the RX and IS helping but not by a lot. Lexus won't sell more RXs than they did last year.

IC wont pick up sales at all until at least the summer. By then 200k will be way to late.

Its horrific, !!![/
what is disturbing is how bad the LS is doing. 2010 is the 4th model year and the LS is really down.

Lexus needs HS, IS, ES, LS..no need for a GS

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-03-09 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 01:00 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus sold as much as Acura and Infiniti combined. Jeez. As a matter of fact the RX alone nearly sold as much as their entire lineups!!!
Not surprising. The same happens even on good days.
Old 02-03-09, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Subaru reports 8 pct increase in Jan. sales
Associated Press, 02.03.09, 12:06 PM EST
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/...ap6001465.html
Subaru of America Inc. on Tuesday said its U.S. sales rose 8 percent in January as sharply higher volumes of its Forester sport utility vehicle offset weaker demand for the rest of its lineup.

Total January sales rose to 12,194 from 11,289 in January last year, according to the Japanese automaker's U.S. division. Last month, the company was the only major automaker to report an improvement in annual sales.

Yahoo! BuzzSales of its top-selling Forester model more than doubled to 5,162 from 2,402. That improvement more than offset reduced demand for its Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Tribeca models.
I don't know why so many people are being suckered in by that new Forester (and I say that, honestly, as a Subaru fan myself). Sure, it's larger inside, and now has a gas-struts for the hood instead of a prop-rod, but, outside of that, IMO, it's a joke. It has been radically cheapened, inside and out....MANY features that used to be standard are either options or no longer available at all. Its new electronically-based AWD system, though now incorporating VSC for the first time, is, according to some reviews, actually LESS effective on slick roads than the old mechanically-based systems....Subaru uses the electronic AWD system instead of an LSD now on Foresters and Imprezas because of (what else?) cost-cutting...it is lighter and cheaper to produce.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-09 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 02:06 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know why so many people are being suckered in by that new Forester (and I say that, honestly, as a Subaru fan myself). Sure, it's larger inside, and now has a gas-struts for the hood instead of a prop-rod, but, outside of that, IMO, it's a joke. It has been radically cheapened, inside and out....MANY features that used to be standard are either options or no longer available at all. Its new electronically-based AWD system, though now incorporating VSC for the first time, is, according to some reviews, actually LESS effective on slick roads than the old mechanically-based systems....Subaru uses the electronic AWD system instead of an LSD now on Foresters and Imprezas because of (what else?) cost-cutting...it is lighter and cheaper to produce.

It's bigger..period
Old 02-03-09, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus sold as much as Acura and Infiniti combined. Jeez. As a matter of fact the RX alone nearly sold as much as their entire lineups!!!
There's a reason for that. The RX is a NICE vehicle. It combines a plush interior, a SMOOTH ride (something not often seen in SUV's), excellent reliability, all-weather traction, and reasonable carrying capacity in a package that, while not cheap, is not outrageously expensive either. Its big sales numbers, though down from last year, show that the public generally agrees.
Old 02-03-09, 02:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked the old Forester anyway. Often when a thoroughly redesigned version comes out, sales improve significantly, an example is the Toyota Sequoia. Let's see if the RX has that type of new model bump, but I kind of doubt it.
Old 02-03-09, 02:32 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I never liked the old Forester anyway. Often when a thoroughly redesigned version comes out, sales improve significantly, an example is the Toyota Sequoia. Let's see if the RX has that type of new model bump, but I kind of doubt it.

i think the new RX looks much better.
especially the interior design.
should be a boost, at least get sale number flat in this bad economy.
Old 02-03-09, 02:32 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

anyone knows sale numbers from BMW and Audi?
I can't find it~
Old 02-03-09, 02:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Its cheaper and more fuel efficient than larger crossovers. I don't think I have to tell you of all people that the 2.5L is a proven engine. Powerful, efficient, and with the HG problems a thing of the best, well I hope it turns into the unstopable tank that the 2.2L was (and still is). I can only imagine where sales will go once Subaru teams the 2.5L up with an auto transmission, be it 5 gears, 6 gears, or even a CVT, that will put the cranky old 4 speed to shame. I hated the 4 speed auto when I had one.

Kudos to Subaru.
Old 02-03-09, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Its cheaper and more fuel efficient than larger crossovers. I don't think I have to tell you of all people that the 2.5L is a proven engine. Powerful, efficient, and with the HG problems a thing of the best, well I hope it turns into the unstopable tank that the 2.2L was (and still is). I can only imagine where sales will go once Subaru teams the 2.5L up with an auto transmission, be it 5 gears, 6 gears, or even a CVT, that will put the cranky old 4 speed to shame. I hated the 4 speed auto when I had one.

Kudos to Subaru.
Subaru offers 5-speed automatics on a number of 2.5's, but, in most cases, only the turbos.

I agree the new 2.5's, especially HGs, are better than 5-10 years ago, but that, IMO, is still no excuse for excessive cost-cutting. Subaru, though, bet the farm on the new Forester that they could radically cheapen the car in side and out, and most people wouldn't notice. They were correct......but I am not most people. I noticed.

Now, that's not to say that the new Forester is necessarily a poor vehicle. Far from it...it's a Subaru, after all. But, today, it is a decontened and cost-cutting one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 02:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
i think the new RX looks much better.
especially the interior design.
should be a boost, at least get sale number flat in this bad economy.
I agree new RX looks somewhat better, mostly on the interior. The exterior is okay, but didn't attract much attention at the last car show I attended in January. Doubt if it will get a Forrester-like bump in sales numbers.
Old 02-03-09, 02:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Kudos to Subaru.
Does the 4 cylinder still have that flat 4 drone, or has that been isolated in newer vehicles? That would sound especially bad with a CVT tranny, but hopefully they will go with a 6 speed at some point.
Old 02-03-09, 03:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Does the 4 cylinder still have that flat 4 drone, or has that been isolated in newer vehicles? That would sound especially bad with a CVT tranny, but hopefully they will go with a 6 speed at some point.
I don't think any of the 2.5L's "drone".

Subaru offers 5-speed automatics on a number of 2.5's, but, in most cases, only the turbos.
I think it's a bit absurd that they have had the 5EAT since 2005 and only utilize it in the turbo Legacy and H6 vehicles. How does the turbo Forester and Impreza still have the 4EAT.
Old 02-03-09, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No. While the Subaru flat-fours are still not Lexus-smooth and quiet by any means, gone are the days when they sounded and vibrated like a washing machine with a load of clothes in them.
In non-turbo form, however, especially on the heavier Outbacks, they have their work cut out for them with the weight and drag of both an automatic and AWD.
Old 02-03-09, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think any of the 2.5L's "drone".
Correct. Not any more.

I think it's a bit absurd that they have had the 5EAT since 2005 and only utilize it in the turbo Legacy and H6 vehicles. How does the turbo Forester and Impreza still have the 4EAT.
The Turbo Forester XT used to offer a 5MT and 4EAT. The 5MT was one of the things that got taken out with the 2009 cost-cutting I mentioned above. Now it is only the 4AT, although rumors are that a 5AT may be coming next year. I plan to ask the Subaru people about that this week at the D.C. Auto Show.

Quick Reply: January 2009 Automobile Sales