Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2009 Automobile Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 09:56 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's only January 2009 though^^, the GS has always been the third best selling in it's class since it was launched in 2005, we can only speculate whether that would still hold in the coming years before the 4GS ...

it's difficult. b/c infiniti M is doing pretty well here.
Old 02-04-09, 10:02 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Worldwide there is only two tier 3 brands. BMW and Mercedes.

Tier 3...BMW and MB
Tier 2...Lexus, Audi, Cadillac
Tier 1...Acura, Inifiniti, Lincoln.
you forgot volvo...it's not doing well in America. but worldwide, it sells cars more than cadillac, lincoln, acura and infinit. (400,000 something 2008)

the tier 1, BMW and MB, not stable here~~ needs one more brand to fit in.
in terms of sale numbers, audi could fit here.(audi sells a lot small cars though). but in terms of many other things (reputation, etc), audi is in the 2 tier.
I think Lexus has a chance to get into the first Tier as long as they keep doing their job right, expand into more countries and make more models and variants.

so I think in future. it could be

tier 1: MB, BMW, Lexus(or audi)
tier 2: audi, vovlo, cadillac(or infiniti)
tier 3: acura, infinit and lincoln.
Old 02-04-09, 10:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We both know Audis and love them but its becoming clear they just won't ever sell better in America. For years I've said there is only room for 3 Tier 1 brands. BMW/Benz/Lexus. Its not like any of those 3 are losing sight of the game so that continues to make it tougher for Audi. The 3 series outsold Audi!!! That is crazy!!! Sad b/c they make a great product.

BMW raised prices and they have changed the strategy from trying to beat Lexus in sales with leases. So sales should go down as they try to create more profit.

You see times like these are a great time for someone to sneak in. I think Hyundai with the Genesis really is perfect. Its a fantastic luxury vehicle without the badge, which is what many people want now. I was really rooting for Infiniti here but they missed the boat.

We will only see consolidation in the future. Saab might be gone. Sadly maybe even Volvo. Lincoln is hanging on.

With the economic climate not changing and consumer confidence in the toilet, I really don't expect much to change at all.

One thing is CPO cars are selling like hotcakes!
although hard, i still think the US market can take another tier 1. audi is at a close position, we will see how they do. infiniti is going the wrong direction, and you do bring up a great point about hyundai, they are really doing it

[QUOTE=kpmg2007;4222912]
Originally Posted by rominl

i really think audi is the new star here, and so far i love what they have done. the r8, the a5, the updated a4, now the new a6 and q5. they are attacking the market pretty well so far and we can see it on their positive sales trend. they are so "fresh" to everyone out there, imho that's part of the reason why they are selling well. this translates to potentially short term effect, they need something more than the led DRL and the slick body lines in order to grow further, especially to take on mb and bmw further. one thing i really like about audi is their finance structure. they control their quantity, keep up the rates, and make sure they are profitable. they don't just go after numbers blindly like bmw and mb. i admire them for that, that's the right way to do business in the long term.

========================

so do u think new A4 is stealing market share from the BMW 3 or from lexus IS?
i actually do think so. in my eyes the new a4 suddenly become a very good contender. bigger, roomier, fresh, cool factor. it depends on their execution

Toyota should also move the ES to rwd while they are at it. Make it a bit bigger as well
terrible idea.... you totally missed the idea behind the ES and why they are selling so many of them
Old 02-04-09, 10:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Gs

I know I have pointed this out before & it looks to have already been said but I do not understand why people keep picking on the GS. Sure it has never cracked the strangle hold of the 5 Series or E Class but it has up until recently sold 3rd best in the class. This year looks like it might turn out to be 4th or 5th but its sales are still very respectable.
Old 02-04-09, 11:03 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb M & amg

There is no other way to put it – 2008 was a terrible year for new car sales. Most manufactures saw double-digit percentage declines, with even the most prestigious brands feeling the squeeze of the slumping economy. But despite the downward trend, BMW and Mercedes-Benz actually saw an uptick in their performance vehicle sales.

During 2008, BMW’s M performance division managed to sell 24,186 vehicles – the second highest tally in the division’s thirty year history. In fact, that’s nearly a 50 percent increase over 2007’s sales figures.

That rather unexpected success can be attributed to the company’s new M3. Available in coupe, sedan and convertible body styles, the M3 accounted for roughly 18,000 of the M division’s sales in 2008.

BMW’s cross-country rival, Mercedes-Benz, also saw a significant jump in the sales of its performance models during 2008. Mercedes’ AMG performance division sold 24,200 vehicles in 2008, marking a 19 percent increase over 2007’s final numbers.

Like BMW’s M brand, one particular model carried the sales torch for AMG – the C 63 AMG. Available as sedan or wagon, the C 63 managed 8,100 sales – which is actually the single year sales record for any AMG model.

However, with January’s sales results officially in, we don’t see either marque achieving the same successes in 2009.

Old 02-04-09, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
I dare to disagree.
Lexus ES is going down to 2900. not that impressive number either.both of them are not performing well.
both ES and TL are Lexus and acura's bread and butter.
ES used to sell much more than BMW 5 and Mercede's E class.
and now there is not too much difference here.
seriously, I think ES should get a facelift as soon as possible.

lexus IS targets a differnt market, you can not simply add ES and IS together and compre the number with ACURA TL.
Since the current gen ES came out in late-April '06, they've sold over 200,000of them. After nearly three years on the market and with increased competition, it does need an update. Obviously the current new car situation isn't helping either.

I expect it will just get minor tweaks (as in the past) until the next gen comes out (2010 or 2011?).
Old 02-04-09, 12:04 PM
ferdinan
Rookie

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
GS has been never in par with the 5 and the E, right?
hope the next generation will give us an exciting look and boost in sales.
In terms of technology, features, quality, price, the GS is on par with MB and BMW; I just don't understand why the numbers are relatively low for such a nice car in its segment. I know many board members don't find the design appealing, but I like the GS a lot. I would like to see the GS selling as many 5s or Es in the future . In the other hand the LS blew MB and BMW out of the water in January .
Old 02-04-09, 12:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

9.6M annual sales rate. Impressive. So much for F not taking bailout money if it stays anywhere near this rate. Cost cutting, new models, and previous credit arrangements won't do it at that rate. And we have had gas back down pretty cheap for a while here so you have to wonder how many sales there are to be gotten with increased EPA mileage numbers?
Old 02-04-09, 12:23 PM
ferdinan
Rookie

From a current Infiniti and Acura owner, how Acura and Infiniti are tier 1 worldwide? Infiniti was just introduced in some parts of Europe, Acura does not sell in Europe. Lexus does not sell in the same quantities BWM and MB sell worldwide but it is positioned better than Infiniti and Acura.

Worldwide there is only two tier 3 brands. BMW and Mercedes.

Tier 3...BMW and MB
Tier 2...Lexus, Audi, Cadillac
Tier 1...Acura, Inifiniti, Lincoln.

Last edited by ferdinan; 02-04-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tier 1/2/3 system is too simple-Simon to be useful anyway.
Old 02-04-09, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

having cadilac and lincoln in a higher tier over bmw and mb, that just makes zero sense
Old 02-04-09, 12:46 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I understand the desire to make the tiers but I agree. Here in the US, Infiniti started with Lexus. And this will probably not earn me many friends, but the original Q45 was more desirable than the original LS IMO. But what Lexus has done since then compared to what Infiniti has done is a whole different story.
Old 02-04-09, 02:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree. It's too subjective. One persons tier 1, is another persons tier 2, and so on...
Old 02-04-09, 02:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. It's too subjective. One persons tier 1, is another persons tier 2, and so on...
Yep and it ends up being worthless. Especially for us automotive enthusiasts who tend to appreciate factual information.
Old 02-04-09, 02:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

lol...im sure pagemasters list is a typo. If not.....

Quick Reply: January 2009 Automobile Sales