Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pink Isn't Always a Feminine Color... 1970 Challenger T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 01:26 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
I wasn't referring to the colors you see on 70 Mopars in 2009. I was referring to the colors I saw on 70 Mopars in 1970. I grew up in the "if it don't go, chrome it" gang so what regurgitates up at the current shows don't interest me. Big block vette's and Hemi Road Runners pretty much were the top tier in the stop light wars due to suspension. And you sure didn't advertise either the hp you were packing or your sexual proclivity with a hot pink body color. But even in 70 there had to be the equivalent of Paris Hilton somewhere.

Three deuces were a mess to set up and get hp out of, pretty much why you saw so few of those setups from the factories. And you needed to get to know your Uni-Syn on a first name basis. I think the Challenger and Cuda did run them in TA for at least a short time but I could be wrong. The rules changed pretty quickly to a single four barrel around this time so the dual quads that you did see in the first years disappeared. Good thing. High cornering forces were a big enough PITA keeping gas in one carb's float bowls without trying to keep multiples from starving.

Multiple carbs require constant tinkering to be sure but musclecars were bought to tinker with anyway so it's par for the course, the 3x2 setup was offered by Pontiac (389 Tri Power) from the mid sixties through 71 by Mopar with the 440 Six Pack, the double quads were on the 426 Hemi from start to finish 1966-1971 and before that on the Max Wedge 413 that had a split and staggered double quad setup, things are no different today, if you have a boosted car you are constantly tuning and tinkering, see a 413 setup on engine stand below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZVDfYXNCM
Old 02-04-09, 01:42 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a complete factory list of High Impact Colors offered by Chrysler from 1969-1971, the optional colors cost a whopping $15.05

http://www.mopar1.us/highimpact.html
Old 02-04-09, 01:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Multiple carbs require constant tinkering to be sure but musclecars were bought to tinker with anyway so it's par for the course, the 3x2 setup was offered by Pontiac (389 Tri Power) from the mid sixties through 71 by Mopar with the 440 Six Pack, the double quads were on the 426 Hemi from start to finish 1966-1971 and before that on the Max Wedge 413 that had a split and staggered double quad setup, things are no different today, if you have a boosted car you are constantly tuning and tinkering, see a 413 setup on engine stand below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZVDfYXNCM
Three deuces were never particularly good on the street. Just because they were available on this or that model is not really of much interest if you drove these things when they were in the showrooms. Pontiac is the other user of them and you can certainly tell by all the other models that the tri-power setup migrated to how successful it was. 1970 was just at the end of the muscle car era but there was still roots from the early days. Quite a few years before, you just didn't have very good carbs or the ability to flow the air and fuel needed to really make a good amount of power. The truth is that there is just too much potential in a good running four barrel to make either three two barrels or dual quads worth the "tinkering". My E type had three side draft carburetors and I could make it run reasonably well. But it definitely was not anything I would encourage anyone to do. Even in racing, we had dual four barrels on the early TA Camaro and it made a lot of power but is really was a primitive setup and we quickly exceded the power with single four barrels. You don't really care about mechanical complexity in a race car but the throttle response of the single four barrel was vastly superior to the multiple carb setups. I actually tried to buy a tunnel port mustang in 69 that is a variant that is not talked about but had the right technology for power. It became evident that unless your name was Bud Moore or Caroll Shelby, you were never going to come close to a tunnel port mustang. But a Z28 with four wheel disk brakes and factory headers in the trunk was available to anyone. Even me. And no, while I think you could get the Z in LeMans Blue and Rally Green, there was no pink. And the mustang was a bit more conservative except for that yellowy orange that you could see on the Bud Moore Mustangs that I came to really hate. But I am not sure I saw that many of the yellowy orange Boss mustangs on the street. Big block Mustangs, Camaros, and the rest couldn't get out of their own way when you got to the twisties.

Once you get out of the study hall, the notion that you run on one carburetor at lower revs but then progressively get into the other ones just doesn't match reality. Whether you use are using vacuum or mechanical linkage to open the extra carbs. Especially when road racing. Heck, getting just one 4bbl to give you smooth power application is tough enough. Now the guys that chrome these things and paint the car pink for recreation is OK by me. Everybody's should have a hobby. Pulling plugs and looking at the results of the mixture on a 3X2 is a full time job for those who don't have to work at anything else for a living. Just not what I was interested in in 1970 and definitely not today.
Old 02-04-09, 02:36 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430

Once you get out of the study hall, the notion that you run on one carburetor at lower revs but then progressively get into the other ones just doesn't match reality. Whether you use are using vacuum or mechanical linkage to open the extra carbs. Especially when road racing. Heck, getting just one 4bbl to give you smooth power application is tough enough. Now the guys that chrome these things and paint the car pink for recreation is OK by me. Everybody's should have a hobby. Pulling plugs and looking at the results of the mixture on a 3X2 is a full time job for those who don't have to work at anything else for a living. Just not what I was interested in in 1970 and definitely not today.

Of course these setups are crude based on today's technology, if you wanted your car to start right away and idle smoothly then opt for a single four barrel, but Six Packs and double quads were bought to race be it on the street or track and with proper tuning single fours were viewing taillights.

Remember unlike today's rule of any modification voids warranty these complicated setups were covered, you could go to the track on the weekend, throw the car out of tune or break parts and have it fixed under warranty on Monday, great for weekend racers while it lasted.
Old 02-04-09, 10:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

NO.... it still looks like a girls car