Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pink Isn't Always a Feminine Color... 1970 Challenger T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 10:21 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pink Isn't Always a Feminine Color... 1970 Challenger T/A

Complete Set:
http://the-perfect-exposure.blogspot...lenger-ta.html
Old 02-03-09, 12:42 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Chrysler Corp. was known for offering some really bright colors back in the days.

Just look up: Plum Crazy and Lime Green.
Old 02-03-09, 01:28 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That ride is bad@$$
Old 02-03-09, 02:58 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn. that's a mean machine.

too bad it was yellor/black or red/black
Old 02-03-09, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
damn. that's a mean machine.

too bad it was yellor/black or red/black
Yellow and red were options that year. I remember this car well.....I was a senior in high school. Also closely related was the Challenger R/T....practically the same car except for some minor trim differences.

Only a few pink models were made....and into 1971. It was not a widely-bought color. Far more common ws the optional purple (Plum Crazy) color....that is still a favorite today with restorers.
Old 02-03-09, 07:15 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The color is called Moulin Rouge/Panther Pink. I'd drive it!

Go figure, there's a following for Mopars in this color:

http://pantherpink.com/
Old 02-03-09, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Like a colorful flashback...
Old 02-03-09, 03:58 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

This Panther Pink Challenger T/A is one the rarest models made, offered only in 70-71 they were street versions of the cars built for the Trans Am road racing series, Plymouth offered a sister car in the AAR Cuda, in addition to the wild colors and stripes the cars offered potent performance with 340 cubic inch motors and Six Pack intakes (3 two barrel carbs) as standard equipment and exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels, very cool and big dollars to own.
Old 02-03-09, 06:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes rare models are ugly or slow, or both. I will take everybody else's word that that was a factory color. I never saw one on the street especially a T/A or Cuda. But I was in the Midwest at that time and if this abomination existed, it has the look of a Cali, NoCali, car. Can't say Trans Am followers spent a lot of time getting in touch with their feminine side back then.
Old 02-04-09, 12:35 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yellow and red were options that year. I remember this car well.....I was a senior in high school. Also closely related was the Challenger R/T....practically the same car except for some minor trim differences.
The R/T had a 383 standard in 1970 and could be had with a 440, 440 Six Pack or Hemi, the T/A and AAR Cuda were only available with the 340 Six Pack, this was the only small block to offer the 3x2 Holley carb setup, ac was not available.
Old 02-04-09, 12:55 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
Sometimes rare models are ugly or slow, or both. I will take everybody else's word that that was a factory color. I never saw one on the street especially a T/A or Cuda. But I was in the Midwest at that time and if this abomination existed, it has the look of a Cali, NoCali, car. Can't say Trans Am followers spent a lot of time getting in touch with their feminine side back then.

Moulin Rouge (Plymouth) and Panther Pink (Dodge) were factory colors, the T/A and AAR Cuda were available in twenty colors, most of them wild, see link to the AAR Cuda registry with colors offered, breakdown of cars ordered in each color and links to see each one in the flesh, I have been to many Mopar meets in the Midwest and there are plenty of these wild colors to be seen on everything from Chargers to Road Runners.

Scroll down the left column to Cuda FAQ, second link to T/A registry pics.

http://www.aarcuda.com/

http://www.challengertaregistry.com/...ry_photos.html
Old 02-04-09, 01:06 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

That's so cool.

No one buys the interesting colored cars anymore; everyone buys some shade of grey.
Old 02-04-09, 03:17 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
That's so cool.

No one buys the interesting colored cars anymore; everyone buys some shade of grey.
the porsche crowd still buys tangerine orange, and that sick shade of green on the GT3
Old 02-04-09, 11:30 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
Moulin Rouge (Plymouth) and Panther Pink (Dodge) were factory colors, the T/A and AAR Cuda were available in twenty colors, most of them wild, see link to the AAR Cuda registry with colors offered, breakdown of cars ordered in each color and links to see each one in the flesh, I have been to many Mopar meets in the Midwest and there are plenty of these wild colors to be seen on everything from Chargers to Road Runners.

Scroll down the left column to Cuda FAQ, second link to T/A registry pics.

http://www.aarcuda.com/

http://www.challengertaregistry.com/...ry_photos.html
I wasn't referring to the colors you see on 70 Mopars in 2009. I was referring to the colors I saw on 70 Mopars in 1970. I grew up in the "if it don't go, chrome it" gang so what regurgitates up at the current shows don't interest me. Big block vette's and Hemi Road Runners pretty much were the top tier in the stop light wars due to suspension. And you sure didn't advertise either the hp you were packing or your sexual proclivity with a hot pink body color. But even in 70 there had to be the equivalent of Paris Hilton somewhere.

Three deuces were a mess to set up and get hp out of, pretty much why you saw so few of those setups from the factories. And you needed to get to know your Uni-Syn on a first name basis. I think the Challenger and Cuda did run them in TA for at least a short time but I could be wrong. The rules changed pretty quickly to a single four barrel around this time so the dual quads that you did see in the first years disappeared. Good thing. High cornering forces were a big enough PITA keeping gas in one carb's float bowls without trying to keep multiples from starving.
Old 02-04-09, 12:25 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nabbun
the porsche crowd still buys tangerine orange, and that sick shade of green on the GT3
Don't forget Lambos. They come in several loud colors as well. Orange, Green, Yellow.

Quick Reply: Pink Isn't Always a Feminine Color... 1970 Challenger T/A