Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ArmyofOne's How-to Shop...feeler.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 09:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default ArmyofOne's How-to Shop...feeler.

I have a bunch of automotive how-to's and DIY's that i could go through and post, in various forums where they are applicable, but i want to see if there is a demand for such a thing before i go wasting hours upon hours for something noone is going to use. How to's would include things like:

DIY Front End Alingments

DIY Tire rotation (yes i realize this is silly but not everyone knows how to do it properly...you cant go in a circle.)

DIY Brakes (except for hybrid systems that use the regenerative braking, i havent educated myself enough on these yet)

TB cleaning/Seafoaming

DIY tire selection (i realize there is a wealth of info on it already, but alot of people again, dont know what it all means)

DIY Paint/car exterior care.

DIY Maintenance (oil changes and such)

thoughts? My hope is that like Mmarshall's car reviews and 1sicklex's opinions ( ) this will become somewhat of an institution here on CL. I have been here for awhile, and can now give something back. I have training (5 years in the army as a mechanic, plus 10 years in the civilian field, was working on cars/trucks long before i could legally drive) and the skills and I think i could help alot, but i want y'all's opinion.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-03-09 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 11:08 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I say go for it.

That's some good info. there that's sure to help allot of folks.
Old 02-03-09, 11:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
I say go for it.

That's some good info. there that's sure to help allot of folks.
+2...
Old 02-03-09, 12:57 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeh J has a lot of skills ... he could even include that DIY BHG for the ES300 that he was suppost to do for me 3 years ago =P
Old 02-03-09, 01:13 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
yeh J has a lot of skills ... he could even include that DIY BHG for the ES300 that he was suppost to do for me 3 years ago =P
shutup derek You got rid of the car before i could get to it. LOL
Old 02-03-09, 01:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The seafoam one could be great
Old 02-03-09, 02:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a great idea there, Josh! If your post has an auto hobby shop (and most do), you might talk it up with your friends there to let you get procedures and pictures on a variety of cars in addition to your own. There is a huge need for basic maintenance instruction, particularly for projects that don't require a lot of diagnostic equipment and special tools; good common-sense help on brake overhauls, front end alignments and oil changes. Saturday morning projects like tire rotation, TB cleaning, battery maintenance and replacement, headlights, brake and running lights, etc. There are a lot of items that could be covered that you already have a wealth of experience on, and you could start with those.

You might try writing these up and getting photos to demonstrate your steps, filing them away on your computer until you are ready to launch your service. You might consider something like an inexpensive blogsite to start, and just link to it here when you are ready to roll out your new enterprise. In time you could build it into a larger effort. It could be a nice hobby, and a big help to a lot of automotive novices. You'd get a lot of appreciation from us OG's too. Besides, you might turn that hobby into a profitable little home business one day.
Old 02-03-09, 03:44 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it.

And it depends on the hybrid too. You can do a brake pad replacement on the Toyota/Lexus hybrids and the Honda hybrids. But to do a proper brake job on Toyota ones - I consider a proper brake job as swapping the pads, machining or replacing rotors if needed, lubricating the sliding ledges and slide pins and flushing the brake fluid, you need the TIS TechStream or the Toyota program card for the Mastertech 3100 to place the braking system into "service" mode and also to safely allow you to discharge the brake bomb so that the fluid can be flushed out.

On the Honda hybrids, you might be able to forgo the Honda HDS to flush the system out.
Old 02-03-09, 09:48 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure everyone in the detailing section can help you on the exterior care. I even have a spare Jag bootlid if we need detailed pics of brillo pad or normal scratches
Old 02-04-09, 04:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

good stuff guys, thanks.
Old 03-13-09, 08:32 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

*BUMP*...

COMING VERY SOON, to CL near you...

ArmyofOne's DIY Workshop-Brake pads and rotors.

Check it out in the maintenance section tomorrow: Sat, 3-12-09
Old 03-13-09, 08:35 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id like to see the alignment..
Old 03-13-09, 08:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

We will get there, it really isnt as difficult as y'all might think. its when you get into camber it gets complicated. on a stock car, camber is controlled by the ball joints...if you get a kit, it gets hairy. soon to come, probably tomorrow as well, if I get the approval from Dave GS4 for my own sub-forum in the maint section it would be even better.

EDIT: the first one is up. Its an auto-trans drain & fill w/ filter change...enjoy!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-13-09 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Go to it, Josh. It's probably a good idea.....if the moderators agree, since CL already has some specific forums relating to car care.

I have some experience at minor stuff like oil/filter changes, wheel balance problems, washing/finish care, etc.... and can help out a little here.

Much of what is required in paint care (besides regular washings, of course) can be summed up in one product..........

or a similiar light abrasive/scratch remover. It will take out many surface (not deep)problems in the paint. I highly recommend SCRATCH-OUT, use it myself, and often give away bottles of it as new-car gifts to people.
Old 03-14-09, 07:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great idea. I know alot of members including myself appreciate DIYs to help guide us through something we need help with. I know in the 2GS forum that DIYs are very helpful and I have used countless numbers of them to get through various problems. I think a lot of people would be very grateful if you went through with it

Quick Reply: ArmyofOne's How-to Shop...feeler.