Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Camaro Thread - Merged threads (2011 V-6 now has 312hp)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 10:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=pagemaster;4236365

The Camaro is a disaster waiting to happen. Brilliant GM. Make a 2 door V8 coupe right when the economy is in a recession.[/QUOTE]

btw, Didn't I read in one of the car magazines that there would be a direct-injected V6 putting out a smooth 300 horsepower. If so that would be the volume model and pretty quick too.
Old 02-08-09, 10:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will be happy to rent one and beat the shizz out of it on my next vacation.
I plan to do just that.
Old 02-09-09, 02:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by s.car
those body style camaros are slow as ****..
Well, it's not supposed to be a blindingly fast exotic like the Ferrari Enzo or McClaren F1. Like the Mustang and Challenger, It's basically a retro design for F-Body fans and people like me who grew up 40 years ago with the original cars.

And the standard V6, in the RS, will top 300 HP. That should give a pretty good 0-60 time for a base model. In fact, that's more power than a stock V8 Mustang GT of just a few years ago.
Old 02-09-09, 02:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Way too late to cancel the camaro. The tooling, suppliers, plants are all ready to go. Way too much money to lose by cancelling the Camaro.

GM should and take the loss.

The Camaro is a disaster waiting to happen. Brilliant GM. Make a 2 door V8 coupe right when the economy is in a recession.

Though only time will tell, I don't think that it will be a loss. Granted, we are in an auto-buying recession right now, but, nevertheless, there are a fair number of F-Body fans waiting for it. GM's real mistake was in cancelling the old one........it caused a storm of protest, and that (along with the new Mustang's success) led to the new model we now see. In fact, I hope we see a new Firebird with it....there are a lot of Firebird fans out there, too, especially for the Trans-Am.
Old 02-09-09, 05:04 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
W
So, unlike Mitsubishi, GM at least acknowledged their error in dropping the F-bodies, and is rectifying it.
Dropping the line was not a mistake, it was a perfectly sound financial decision. The mustang was outselling the firebired, trans-am and camaro combined. The car had no market. There were some die hard fans who were disappointed, so what? That doesn't change the numbers. Bringing the car back is a bad decision coming from a company that should be bankrupt as of right now.
Old 02-09-09, 05:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tsavo
Dropping the line was not a mistake, it was a perfectly sound financial decision. The mustang was outselling the firebired, trans-am and camaro combined. The car had no market. There were some die hard fans who were disappointed, so what? That doesn't change the numbers. Bringing the car back is a bad decision coming from a company that should be bankrupt as of right now.
x-Z28 owner here....

not a bad looking car, but I have to agree with you....stupid to bring it back....how exactly have conditions changed to where they think this will be a success????????????
Old 02-09-09, 08:12 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MMARSHALL, when/if possible, please review the V8 version, preferably L99 with auto tranny. People on camaro board mentioned this car stock will be capable of 12s in 1/4 mile and around 4.7 sec 0-60.
Old 02-09-09, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsavo
Well, time will tell. Chevy already has a fair number of advance orders, and production hasn't even started yet.....it won't for over a month.

I agree that it probably won't equal the Mustang's sales numbers, but to say that it will be a failure is, I think, stretching it a bit.
Old 02-09-09, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
MMARSHALL, when/if possible, please review the V8 version, preferably L99 with auto tranny. People on camaro board mentioned this car stock will be capable of 12s in 1/4 mile and around 4.7 sec 0-60.
Yes, I'll do an automatic SS, if possible. It might take awhile to find an unsold one, though.
Old 02-09-09, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
x-Z28 owner here....

not a bad looking car, but I have to agree with you....stupid to bring it back....how exactly have conditions changed to where they think this will be a success????????????
IMHO, I agree with GM's decision to drop the old, overweight, crude, inefficient, dated, Firebirds/Camaro's.

I think the new Camara is a much more contemporary car with the direct injection 300hp V6 as the volume seller. I give a to GM on this decision.
Old 02-09-09, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, I agree with GM's decision to drop the old, overweight, crude, inefficient, dated, Firebirds/Camaro's.

I think the new Camara is a much more contemporary car with the direct injection 300hp V6 as the volume seller. I give a to GM on this decision.

And the new Camaro, IMHO, blows the former Camaro away in looks. The old car was too wedge-shaped and pointy in the front end....it looked like a 3500-lb. door stop.
Old 02-09-09, 11:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And the new Camaro, IMHO, blows the former Camaro away in looks. The old car was too wedge-shaped and pointy in the front end....it looked like a 3500-lb. door stop.
I agree 100%, the new Camaro looks very good in person, proportions are excellent too. I might need to buy one of these later.
Old 02-09-09, 11:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

If I were out to get a V6 American coupe, I'd definitely choose the Camaro over the anemic Mustang. If I wanted a V8 I'd have to look at the Vette
Old 02-09-09, 12:26 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro update- Build & delivery update + plant picture

From a GM dealer to prospective Camaro buyers:

2010 CAMARO
NO ORDERS have been released for production yet. March 16th begins build, the tagging and pull process begins shortly. Watch for our reports here every Thursday. What is interesting though THIS WEEK, is that the 2010 Camaro ordering allocation release tab is NOW visible to us.

It shows no constraints and Estimated production weeks of 2/16-2/22 but most certainly the GM system was already pre-set with this data and has not been adjusted for the recent delay in production start.
TOMORROW, dealers get their 1st months of allocation order quantity for release. IE: If a dealer has 10 orders waiting and GM gives him 4…..4 orders only will be built by that dealer for the 1st month of allocation releases…more as we move forward.

Actual plant picture (no date confirmed):
Attached Thumbnails Official  Camaro Thread - Merged threads (2011 V-6 now has 312hp)-camaro.jpg  

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-09-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 12:56 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe there are 3 other threads already made for this topic.

Quick Reply: Official Camaro Thread - Merged threads (2011 V-6 now has 312hp)