Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Camaro Thread - Merged threads (2011 V-6 now has 312hp)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 05:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As rdgdawg said earlier, though (and he is correct on this), you can't really compare the Camaro to a CLS, even aside from price. The Camaro is a classic American 2+2 pony car. The CLS is a 4-door sedan with a low, Humpty-Dumpty roofline, styled to look like a coupe. And I know that some people will disagree with me on this, but, IMO, the CLS is a butt-ugly car, especially in the rear end and its slit-like, peep-hole windows, which is not the case with the Camaro.

Of course, the CLS, being a Mercedes product, has far more safety features than the Camaro does, and its unibody frame, like that of most M-B products, is as solid as a rock. But, also like many M-B products, it has a below-average reliabilty history.
not only that, but lets talk straight line speed...

the V6 RS Camaro will SMOKE the CLS 500. Hell, even in the twisties im sure it would have it for breakfast. Even though the camaro isnt light, the CLS has AT LEAST a half a ton on the Camaro.
Old 02-11-09, 04:35 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
+1 MM and IS-SV... positive, FACTUAL, and sensible, as always....points made without angst... did I mention positive... and opinions are like... well.. you know...
The only fact in this thread that can be proven is that the Camaro was dropped because it wasn't selling. This fact supports my claim that the car is done, it doesn't do much to support anything else.

Sensible, right...coming from a person who claims Camaro owners wouldn't want to own a Corvette. Go onto a car lot and poll 10,000 people buying Camaros. If you asked each and everyone one if they would trade their new Camaro for a new Corvette, you'd be lucky to find a single one of them who would say no.

This is where he comes back into the thread claiming he never said this, and will revert to his original idea and twist it around to avoid owning up to the ridiculous statement he made.

I assume he will probably claim that "if we are talking about an even trade then of course the Camaro owners would take the Corvette". Despite the fact that he said...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Camaro owners, seeking a pony car, are not likely to want a Corvette

Last edited by tsavo; 02-11-09 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 07:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... I tried to be kind...

Originally Posted by tsavo
The only fact in this thread that can be proven is that the Camaro was dropped because it wasn't selling. This fact supports my claim that the car is done, it doesn't do much to support anything else.
Really... if it's coming back, then it wasn't and isn't done. Are you saying dropping it was smart? Okay, then WHY BRING IT BACK??? Or are you replacing Waggoner???....

Sensible, right...coming from a person who claims Camaro owners wouldn't want to own a Corvette. Go onto a car lot and poll 10,000 people buying Camaros. If you asked each and everyone one if they would trade their new Camaro for a new Corvette, you'd be lucky to find a single one of them who would say no.

This is where he comes back into the thread claiming he never said this, and will revert to his original idea and twist it around to avoid owning up to the ridiculous statement he made.

I assume he will probably claim that "if we are talking about an even trade then of course the Camaro owners would take the Corvette". Despite the fact that he said...
FACT- I myself have been looking at a Corvette and have spent a great deal of time at the 3rd largest GM dealership in the US. I have spoken to at least FIVE people who have NO INTEREST in the Vette and the ONLY GM product they have any interest in is the new Camaro. I didn't need 10,000, it only took 5 out of 20... that's it... so you are WRONG.

As far as defending MM, there is no need... the number of posts (25,000+) and his insight and understanding of the industry are beyond repproach. I believe the consensus on CL will be the same.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine and yours included. CL is a great place for debate (often heated) and input. However, becoming derogatory and defensive is not contructive and this seems to be a pattern based on historical posts. Taking a stand is one thing... being perpetually confrontational, while amusing, becomes boring rather quickly. This is the last I'll post on this thread as I've had my say...
Old 02-11-09, 08:09 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsavo
... The interior is crappy, the styling is questionable, and it's overpriced IMO.
Camaro overpriced? Really? Getting over 400 HP and over 400 TQ for $31K today while all the competitors are good $10K over with the same specs is overpriced? man, you're really way off the reality...
Old 02-11-09, 08:39 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Okay... I tried to be kind...

Really... if it's coming back, then it wasn't and isn't done. Are you saying dropping it was smart? Okay, then WHY BRING IT BACK??? Or are you replacing Waggoner???....
Because GM has made horrible decisions in the past. Have you watched the news in the last 6 months, or are you just that dense?

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Camaro overpriced? Really? Getting over 400 HP and over 400 TQ for $31K today while all the competitors are good $10K over with the same specs is overpriced? man, you're really way off the reality...
The price to power ratio when the car was in production before was nearly identical, and it WAS NOT SELLING. So apparently the majority of consumers didn't think it was a good deal, because it was dropped resulting from low sales.

You believe the price to power is good, so what? If everyone agreed with you, the car would have been in production the last 7 years, but it wasn't. That price to power was not translating into sales, period.

Last edited by tsavo; 02-11-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Here's the highlights of the 2011 Camaro!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75962
* new HP rating of 312 horsepowers on the V6 (3.6L SIDI V6)
* Synergy Green will be offered on ALL models for a limited time
* Heads-up-display (HUD) will be offered as standard equipment on the 2LT and 2SS models

Old 04-09-10, 08:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good info!

I've seen that green - really looks cool in the sun

Old 04-09-10, 08:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

btw....these cars looks much better lowered a bit....

stock height...

dropped

dropped
Old 04-09-10, 08:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That green is really nice! I hope they have gotten all of thr quality issues worked out on this car.
Old 04-09-10, 02:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some great numbers from their V6 . Good job GM with that V6.
Old 04-09-10, 02:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

did they finally fix the million teething issues this vehicle had when it was released. I have a patient who just bought one and he loves it but says he has had to take it in for issues with a window motor and a lot of rattling. He says they fixed it though.

I love the way this car looks. It always catches my eye on the freeway. I want to see one dumped with huge wheels