Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti to reveal new concept car at the Geneva with Luis Vuitton luggage

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09 | 04:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Yes, the Q has been discontinued.. for now. But that doesn't mean they won't resurrect it using a new platform. I don't think the Q was as undesirable as you seem to think it was. It sold in the 300-400 range per month at its worst, but so does the A8, the RL, and the 7 series (currently in the tens). If the Q was such an "epic fail", then so is the A8. A new Q/Infiniti flagship using the GT-R platform could easily move 500+ units/month, even in this tough economy.
What do you mean "you don't think it was as undesirable as I think it was"??THE MARKET told us the Q45 was undesirable. I didn't can the Q45, the market did. I liked the first gen Q45 (heck over the LS) and it got worse after that. It was 18 years of sales failure, PERIOD. It might might hurt to read that but thats a fact. It languished for years and did nothing for the brand. The RL isn't in this class and its failure is just as legendary. The Q45 was not mean to sell in the 300-400 range so you don't have a point there. It was a sales catastrophe. It was even mentioned in a Motor Trend editorial as one of the biggest failures ever.

The A8 might not sell well here but its
1. Not discontinued
2. Still have panache and prestige
3. Sells well overseas.

The Q45 is discontinued, has none of #2 and none of #3. The A8 is far superior and the next version soon will extend that.

You are going to say the 7 sells in the "tens" today? The 7 has stopped production. Those are old models. The new 7 is on the way. The 7 used to sell over 1000 a month EASY. While I am no fan of the old 7, it was clearly a sales hit (leases and all) and some say was the most stylish big sedan every built. The 7 destroys the Q. What on earth are you talking about, that made no sense!
Old 02-09-09 | 04:57 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The Q is a black-eye in Infiniti's history and a blow to the company's ego. So much so that they have literally been afraid, gun-shy, to reenter that market (perhaps wisely so). The first Q was a bold gesture and it knew exactly what it was and made no apologies for it. Subsequent models seemed too compromised in purpose and always came across as second rate.

If there's any optimism for Infiniti in making a new such car it's in the fact that the company seems to have gotten the performance/luxury blend down pretty well. A new sedan above the M (whatever they call it) could be a great expression of Infiniti's virtues which have been successfully established since the G35. (I think that in the public's mind Infiniti is a company that didn't even exist before the G35)

But 1SICKLEX is 100% right. Th Q has really never been successful.

Last edited by speedflex; 02-09-09 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-09-09 | 05:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
The Q is a black-eye in Infiniti's history and a blow to the company's ego. So much so that they have literally been afraid, gun-shy, to reenter that market (perhaps wisely so). The first Q was a bold gesture and it knew exactly what it was and made no apologies for it. Subsequent models seemed too compromised in purpose and always came across as second rate.

If there's any optimism for Infiniti in making a new such car it's in the fact that the company seems to have gotten the performance/luxury blend down pretty well. A new sedan above the M (whatever they call it) could be a great expression of Infiniti's virtues which have been successfully established since the G35. (I think that in the public's mind Infiniti is a company that didn't even exist before the G35)

But 1SICKLEX is 100% right. Th Q has really never been successful.
Exactly. The last Q45 was to be the car to turn the company around, instead it was their entry level G35!

I am certain any Infiniti based GT-R is going to kick a lot of "butt" around these here luxury parts. at a price undercutting just about everything.