Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q5 Pricing Starts at $38,025, Hits Dealers Next Week

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 06:10 AM
LexFather

Post Audi Q5 Pricing Starts at $38,025, Hits Dealers Next Week

I really like how this looks (though I'm unsure is it b/c it looks good or everything else in its class looks horrid) but that pricing is not going to help it sell at all.

When it hits showrooms next week, Audi's all-new Q5 compact luxury crossover will carry a starting price tag of $38,025. Though distinct in amenities, the three available trim levels -- Premium, Premium Plus $42,325 and Prestige $49,825 -- are powered by the same 3.2L V-6 engine sending 270 hp and 242 lb-ft of torque to all four-wheels. All prices include a standard $825 destination charge.
Standard on the model are a three-zone climate control, folding and reclinable 40/20/40 rear seats, LED taillights and roof rails for extra cargo capacity. Additionally, enthroning front passengers are twelve-way power seats, while leather and wood lines the cabin. A third-generation Multi-Media Interface (MMI) Navigation plus manages entertainment, communication and navigation duties while on the fly. Customers inclined to pulling trailers will find a standard issue hitch package rated at a segment-leading 4,400 lbs capacity.

Source: Audi USA

Starting Prices:

1. X3 - $39,700
2. Q5 - $38,025
3. XC60 - $37,200
4. LR2 - $36,225
5. GLK - $35,900
6. EX - $35,450
7. RDX - $33,895

Old 02-07-09, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Mike.

I've got review requests for the Q5, so I'm going to give it a full review ASAP. Around here, it should be out in a few weeks. I saw one at the D.C. Auto Show, but it was not out on the floor.

I hope it gets the superb DSG transmission, but I won't hold my breath on that.......Audi seeems to be limiting the DSG, in the American market, to just the A3 and TT, to keep costs down (it is complex and expensive to produce, though more widely available in Europe).

BTW, to avoid confusion, Audi has renamed the DSG the S-Tronic, as differentiated from the conventional Tiptronic...that caused some confusion at the D.C. Auto Show Thursday when I was talking to the Audi people...I didn't know the DSG had been renamed until they told me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 06:43 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLK pricing is a "bit misleading"... like all MB "options" when you get it with what you want, it tops $50K.. as did the one I saw in the showroom Thursday... sweet, but was $55K if I remember correctly... but wow, what a sound system!!!! 4 sales guys sitting in it watching a movie with 3 others around the outside... sounded like a theater!!!

I like the way the Q5 looks as well but for our family Q7 is the way to go... and for a new 08 on the showroom floor loaded at $46K, MUCH better deal
Old 02-07-09, 06:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is pretty pricey...especially for something this size, but I guess the rest of the competition is all right there too. These mini lux suvs, IMO, should be priced from like 32-33K. 36-38 is too much for a BASE price.

Truthfully I'd probably rather buy a Rav4 Sport V6 4X4 and pocket the change, or spend about the same money and buy a new RX. I have seen and sat in plenty of RDXs, EXs, and X3s and judging by the reviews on the GLK, XC60, and Q5...I don't know how people buy any of these over an RX

Not the RX is some fantastic godsend but I think it's a bit bigger than all of them, offers class leading power and technology and is priced smiliarly.

Different strokes for different folks...
Old 02-07-09, 07:11 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The prices seem kind of steep if you ask me in a market that isn't doing so well at the moment. Good luck Audi! I'll take a new 09 RX350.
Old 02-07-09, 07:47 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife likes this ride but for the price, we just start thinking about other ideas...
Old 02-07-09, 08:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J.P.
Wife likes this ride but for the price, we just start thinking about other ideas...
SUV sales are starving right now... you can be very "aggressive" in your "negotiations"...
Old 02-07-09, 10:35 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Not that the current Audi vehicles don't look good, they do look good, but all of them look the same from the front end and I couldn't distinguish what Audi it is from my rearview mirror. Audi is using one formula for all of its vehicles. The two newcomers, Q5 and GLK, are the best looking ones in this class imo. Price-wise Lexus RX also belongs to this class.
Old 02-07-09, 10:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Can get an MDX for that price.
Old 02-07-09, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That is pretty pricey...especially for something this size, but I guess the rest of the competition is all right there too. These mini lux suvs, IMO, should be priced from like 32-33K. 36-38 is too much for a BASE price.

Truthfully I'd probably rather buy a Rav4 Sport V6 4X4 and pocket the change, or spend about the same money and buy a new RX. I have seen and sat in plenty of RDXs, EXs, and X3s and judging by the reviews on the GLK, XC60, and Q5...I don't know how people buy any of these over an RX
Well, as far as the difference between the 32-33K SUVs and the 36-38K ones, you also have to take into account that some small SUV's (and even some larger ones) don't come with AWD standard.....you have to pay extra to get it (which, for an SUV, is silly, IMO). You can bet the monthly rent that the Q5 will have Quattro AWD standard......I can't imaging Audi doing a FWD SUV.
Old 02-07-09, 01:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Not the RX is some fantastic godsend but I think it's a bit bigger than all of them, offers class leading power and technology and is priced smiliarly.

My thoughts exactly. I like the looks of the Q5 and may test it when available, but with MRSP's of $42.3k-$49.8k for the various trim levels, I too would take a RAV4 Sport with a base of $26.5k before options. My guess is the 3.5 in the RAV would be more than competitive in both performance and fuel economy.
Old 02-07-09, 02:24 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

let's clear one thing up that has been peddled off here before as fact:

The Q5 is not related to the VW Tiguan in any way. The Q5 is a derived from the B8 architecture which underpins the A4/A5. The Tiguan is riding on a modified Golf (mkV) platform.

Pricing looks right in line with the X3, which incidently is the most successfull entrant to the class. The Japanese immitations stalled (Acura/Infiniti).
Old 02-07-09, 02:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The RX rides & drives like a hovercraft. Male driving enthusiasts like myself and others seek a more involving drive with a planted feel... The Audi looks fantastic but will it still have the famous Audi body roll? That is the one down side to Audi vehicles imo.. The smaller Audi Q3 is on the way to compete with the BMW X1 & Mercedes GLK, Acura RDX.. http://www.motorauthority.com/previe...-q3-suv-2.html
Old 02-07-09, 04:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
let's clear one thing up that has been peddled off here before as fact:

The Q5 is not related to the VW Tiguan in any way. The Q5 is a derived from the B8 architecture which underpins the A4/A5. The Tiguan is riding on a modified Golf (mkV) platform.

Pricing looks right in line with the X3, which incidently is the most successfull entrant to the class. The Japanese immitations stalled (Acura/Infiniti).
January sales:

GLK 1,300 (new)
RDX 801
EX 776
X3 394
RX 6,520 (just for comparison since it's been mentioned in this discussion)
Old 02-07-09, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a car that i'd really pay close attention to if i have to get a suv

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 Pricing Starts at $38,025, Hits Dealers Next Week