Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 12:14 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm liking that Toureg, when I look to replace the Sienna it's gonna get a hard look along with the Q7...
Old 02-09-09, 12:24 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Touareg looks kind of dated to me
Old 02-09-09, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

After reading this, the new Venza V6 is looking better and better.
Old 02-09-09, 01:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone explain to me how the 2.5 mpg advantage the Lexus has over the VW is downplayed because the VW has a bigger gas tank? Do that many people need to max out the cruising range? And--if I have a diesel, of course I want a bigger tank--not every station has diesel.

Then there's the range factor. With only 19.2 gallons onboard, the RX 450h's fuel sipping strategy is effectively negated when matched up against the diesels' large tanks. Using the EPA highway numbers, the Touareg could theoretically cover 660 miles on its 26.2-gallon tank. Our real-world mileage ended up significantly lower, but our calculations still suggested the VW could go approximately 100 miles farther on a fill-up than the Lexus (442 versus 542 miles-the longest range of the group).
MT didn't even ACTUALLY test it out--their "calculations" show it.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-09-09 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 02:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I have to admit that I've never been a fan of the RX so I hope this doesn't come across as a swipe.

I actually liked the new RX's futuristic, swoopy interior in previous photos but compared to the others in this test it looks, well, almost cheap. When did that ever happen to a Lexus?

X5

ML

RX

Toureg

Last edited by speedflex; 02-09-09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 02:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Someone explain to me how the 2.5 mpg advantage the Lexus has over the VW is downplayed because the VW has a bigger gas tank? Do that many people need to max out the cruising range? And--if I have a diesel, of course I want a bigger tank--not every station has diesel.

MT didn't even ACTUALLY test it out--their "calculations" show it.
I agree. MT was really grasping for straws on this one. Since when has cruising range ever been a point of conflict in an auto review?
Old 02-09-09, 02:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I do have to say, however, that IMO the Touareg and X5 are the best looking vehicles in this test.

When I saw the new RX in person (did a somewhat extensive write up) I was very impressed with the amount of technology that they crammed into the car. Sitting inside and touching, feeling, and playing with the interior you can tell that Lexus obviously had to make concessions to pay for things like remote touch and all of the other goodies. The RX cabin, while unique and futuristic, does not really appeal to me. I wish they had used more wood and done something more interesting with the door panels and center stack. The word box shape of the center stack, while cool, does not really appeal to me personally.

Maybe I am a Lexus traditionalist but I would have greatly invited more wood and more attention to detail in the design of the cabin The execution of the RX and all of the technology that it packs is very impressive, I just don't care for the shell that it is wrapped in. The Touareg has a beautiful interior, IMO, and I also really like that of the X5.

The exterior of the RX also looks like a swollen Lima bean to me. Again, having seen it in person I can say that it does look better in real life than in some pictures but it tries to look sleek in some areas but just looks bloated in others. The front end and rear and are particularly chisled, but the sides are all bubbly They could have come up with something cleaner and more aggressive. The L-Finessed sedans all look very clean and crisp...the RX looks like a water logged lima bean.

All of that said, as I noted before the RX is in a somewhat different league than these utes IMO. All are a bit larger and offer bigger engines with more off road capability. Of this trio I would have to take the VW as well, just because I think it's extremely handsome inside and out...and then I'd have to cross my fingers about quality issues. Truth be told, I think the GX is a better competitor to these vehicles and I would take it over any of them in a heart beat.

Oh well...
Old 02-09-09, 03:29 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
When I saw the new RX in person (did a somewhat extensive write up) I was very impressed with the amount of technology that they crammed into the car. Sitting inside and touching, feeling, and playing with the interior you can tell that Lexus obviously had to make concessions to pay for things like remote touch and all of the other goodies. The RX cabin, while unique and futuristic, does not really appeal to me. I wish they had used more wood and done something more interesting with the door panels and center stack.
In all fairness there is a photo of a more wood-laden interior at the RX preview site. The one in this test looks kind of spartan. I have to see it in person but in this comparison what you would think would be one of the RX's greatest strengths turns out to be one of its weaknesses.

Old 02-09-09, 03:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't like motor trend.

in the last 20 something years, they've consistently picked unreliable crap cars as their top choices.

the VW Toe Rag? come on..... that thing is the least reliable in the bunch
Old 02-09-09, 03:47 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Volkswagen Touareg is essentially a Porsche Cayenne, with an even more premium interior. It's been around the blocks a few times since 2003, and is a very capable offroader.
Old 02-09-09, 04:43 PM
LexFather

I like all the interiors actually. Its clear the Germans are very "old world" in appearance and the RX is very adventurous and futuristic. The RX's lack of wood makes it look more "cheap" but I think more wood would look out of place in such an interior. After sitting in it, its the best RX interior ever.

Old 02-09-09, 04:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

The RX interior looks a lot better in the two-tone version with the tan leather than the all black version.
Old 02-09-09, 05:53 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking the same thing as well
Old 02-09-09, 06:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
In all fairness there is a photo of a more wood-laden interior at the RX preview site. The one in this test looks kind of spartan. I have to see it in person but in this comparison what you would think would be one of the RX's greatest strengths turns out to be one of its weaknesses.

I find it ironic that you describe the interior of the RX as being spartan. Imo, both the MB and BMW are spartan in comparison to the RX. I haven't had a chance to look at a Touareg yet, but that's more due to it's reliability issues. If you look at JD Power or Consumer Report the Touareg has been, pretty much, a disaster as far as reliabity is concerned.

I do wonder why Lexus is so stuck on the deep reddish wood that they continue to use? I am one of those people that doesn't equate more wood with luxury. I have never quite understood that concept. I guess it's the same in our home design preferences. We prefer the more modern look. Give me an RX with a leather steering wheel and no wood with some brushed nickelish accents and I would be all good.

If Lexus were to offer a black wood like the MB's black birds eye maple it might be a different discussion. At least the black wood can be blended in nicely with the chrome/brushed nickel accents. Just my opinion, but it would be nice to have a few more interior options from Lexus.
Old 02-09-09, 08:00 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Lexus does offer black birds eye maple in the IS, and the current RX. on the lexus of japan's website, it is also offered in the new RX

http://lexus.jp/models/rx/design/color/interior.html

Quick Reply: MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D