Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 08:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus does offer black birds eye maple in the IS, and the current RX. on the lexus of japan's website, it is also offered in the new RX

http://lexus.jp/models/rx/design/color/interior.html
Is it offered in North America? I've never seen one, or even seen it available as an option here in Canada.
Imho, it would be a huge upgrade....as I mentioned before, I think it looks amazing in the MB's.
Old 02-09-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i still don't like the asymmetric look here and REALLY REALLY dislike the weird wedge of silver painted plastic on the center stack.

but i'm sure functionally it's all very nice.
Old 02-09-09, 08:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 02-09-09, 08:40 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

Now that's what I'm looking for. That combo (maybe with darker leather) in the new '10 RX and we're talkin'.
Old 02-09-09, 09:17 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

oh my god, that looks old
Old 02-09-09, 09:23 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I find it ironic that you describe the interior of the RX as being spartan.

The photo I posted the preview site looks great but the one from the Motor Trend test does look spartan, like it doesn't have all the options or something. It just doesn't look as upscale as the others.
Old 02-09-09, 09:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still don't like the asymmetric look here and REALLY REALLY dislike the weird wedge of silver painted plastic on the center stack.

The new RX350 looks like what a 2010 model should look like. I like the dash, nav should be a little closer and the gear selector should be bit smaller.

Overall. A home run for Lexus.
Old 02-09-09, 10:49 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Agreed. I hate everything inside that silver painted cheese wedge. Everything inside there looks cheap and out of place.
Old 02-10-09, 05:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
When I saw the new RX in person (did a somewhat extensive write up) I was very impressed with the amount of technology that they crammed into the car. Sitting inside and touching, feeling, and playing with the interior you can tell that Lexus obviously had to make concessions to pay for things like remote touch and all of the other goodies. The RX cabin, while unique and futuristic, does not really appeal to me. I wish they had used more wood and done something more interesting with the door panels and center stack. The word box shape of the center stack, while cool, does not really appeal to me personally.
While I was a wood freak myself in the past now I find it very conservative if applied in excess and without a concept (SC430 wood application is best example how wood should be implemented while Jaguar excluding XF is example how it shouldn't). Still wood execution in RX is very poor and they could have done it without it.

I am praying for a day when lightweight ceramics show up in production cars. That would be the ultimate luxury touch that would replace wood in instance. Of course it would be even better if its combined with some super fine nubuck leather for hand touching surfaces
Old 02-10-09, 05:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too many snap on snap off plastic seams visible on the RX giving it that mass produced Toyota assembly line likeness.. Virtual twins with this vehicle below... Save the cash..

Old 02-10-09, 08:54 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Too many snap on snap off plastic seams visible on the RX giving it that mass produced Toyota assembly line likeness.. Virtual twins with this vehicle below... Save the cash..

The Venza and RX350 are built in two different plants. Venza come the US where the Avaon/Camry are built while most, but not all RX350 come from Canada....the remaining Rx350 come from Japan. The Rx350 comes from the same plant that builts Corolla's and Matrix's.

RX giving it that mass produced Toyota
Well, it is mass produced.
Old 02-10-09, 09:01 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The Venza and RX350 are built in two different plants. Venza come the US where the Avaon/Camry are built while most, but not all RX350 come from Canada....the remaining Rx350 come from Japan. The Rx350 comes from the same plant that builts Corolla's and Matrix's.

Well, it is mass produced.
I think what he's saying is that, based on these images, the RX doesn't look any more luxurious than the Venza.
Old 02-10-09, 09:07 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

X3 competes w/the RX, strange comparison. Touraeg's interior looks dated but the materials are nothing but the finest
Old 02-10-09, 09:17 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think what he's saying is that, based on these images, the RX doesn't look any more luxurious than the Venza.
Thats fine. The Venza has one of the most upscale and well put together Toyota interiors in recent years. A few little details here and there and the Venza can easily be badged a Lexus
Old 02-10-09, 09:19 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here for me. It is definitely NOT a deal breaker, but I would much rather have a more symmetrical dash layout. I thought studies have shown that the human eye likes to see symmetry as its more appealing to most? Probably why I actually like the BMW interior layout. Looks much more symmetrical and less busy. I guess I'm one of those that don't like things too abstract.

Quick Reply: MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D