Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Post MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D

Equally striking is the conspicuous lack of traditional diesel clatter. That's to be expected of the fourth member of our quartet, the brand-new, eerily quiet 2010 Lexus RX 450h. It is a hybrid after all, but what about the BMW X5 xDrive 35d, Mercedes-Benz ML320 BlueTEC, and Volkswagen Touareg TDI? What does their burbling idle say about the state of modern diesels? Do they stand a chance against the latest hybrid version of the world's best-selling luxury SUV? We assemble in the mountains to find out.

Remote touch does just as its name implies, imparting a rewarding sense of feel and touch as you swirl the 'mouse' over the screen. Locks neatly into the various menu buttons, and generally works intuitively," says St. Antoine. Williams is equally impressed, "If every vehicle gets something like this in 10 years I won't be surprised."

In comparison, both the BMW and Benz feel low-tech and spare. The X5's austere, all-black cabin incites the most complaints: "Somber cockpit and I still hate the iDrive interface, especially when controlling the nav, a deal-breaker in my book," says Kiino. St. Antoine gently backhands the Benz cabin, "Perhaps not as chic as the VW's, but this is a nice room, too. Some of the controls work deftly-the climate system, for instance-but others are simply horrible."

At decision time, both the Mercedes-Benz and BMW seem to slip by the wayside. Though the X5 xDrive 35d delivers the best diesel fuel economy and an exhilarating drive, it also shows glaring incongruities. Those sticky Michelins that felt so grippy on the street prove useless off-road, as does BMW's clearly street-tuned all-wheel-drive system. We managed to get our X5 stuck three times, which is three more times than either the Lexus or VW became mired. We expect more utility from a luxury SUV-especially one that costs $65,000. "Bags of fun to drive in the dry, and I really dig the motor, but the cockpit leaves me cold, the lack of off-road prowess gives me pause, and the pricetag induces heart palpitations," says St. Antoine.

http://www.motortrend.com/road....html

1ST PLACE - VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG TDI
Offers the most traditional SUV functionality of the bunch, with stellar looks and just the right combination of high-tech and off-road features.

2ND PLACE - LEXUS RX 450H
Perfect for the iPhone-loving city-stomper, but if long/heavy hauls and more than light off-roading figure into the equation, you'll find it too compromised.

3RD PLACE - MERCEDES-BENZ ML320 BLUETEC
Reassuringly solid on-road and off, but there's no spark or sizzle to the one that started this genre.

4TH PLACE - BMW X5 XDRIVE 35D
Best diesel mileage and clearly the driver's choice but stratospheric cost and narrow bandwidth bar it from the podium.

Old 02-08-09, 09:21 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its good to see Lexus finishing in the top two for the first time a long time.

The LS, GS were last place finishers in the last Lexus MT comparo and the RX350 couldn't even beat the Hyudnai Varacruz.

I say way to go Toyota on the latest RX redesign.

I like it!
Old 02-08-09, 09:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Touareg. It'd be the SUV I'd buy if I were in the market (or a Volvo XC90). Such an understated car...which I love about it
Old 02-08-09, 10:07 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Interesting...Touareg is the oldest design.
Old 02-08-09, 10:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
Interesting...Touareg is the oldest design.
They are actually reviewing the new upcoming 2009 Touareg that has been redesigned. It isn't out yet.
Old 02-08-09, 10:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

video was posted in the stickied RX thread. i see no reason why the RX didnt win. it didnt have enough "suv feel?" wtf is that! thats the entire point. its not suppose to be an SUV, its a crossover for that family that wants a sedan with more cargo room.

Last edited by RXSF; 02-08-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 11:01 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
They are actually reviewing the new upcoming 2009 Touareg that has been redesigned. It isn't out yet.
...................wat?
Old 02-08-09, 11:11 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
...................wat?
The Touareg TDI Clean Diesel. The fuel-efficient SUV from Volkswagen. Equipped with AdBlue® Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology to meet current emissions standards, this vehicle is as fuel efficient as they come in this category.

An impressive 3.0L V6 engine delivers over 50% more torque. Just the right turbocharged performance you need when climbing a steep hill or exploring unknown terrain − though the luxurious interior could easily make you forget you’re doing just that. With so many benefits, we had to put it in writing for you to believe it. Keep your eyes peeled for the Touareg TDI Clean Diesel in 2009.

It's not out here in Canada yet and I assume they had a pre-launch version for this comparo.
Old 02-08-09, 11:14 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

you mean the engine is new, the actual Touareg isn't.
Old 02-08-09, 11:22 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
you mean the engine is new, the actual Touareg isn't.
Well it's a little more than just a new engine...kinda like how the new RX450h changes from the older version.

If you are suggesting that I was saying that the Touareg was a brand new vehicle....well no...of course not.

All of the vehicles in the comparison are new versions of existing platforms.

This is an extremely competitive segment. I had test drives last Monday of the X5 35d and ML 320 Bluetec. Both are fantastic vehicles but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the additional $15-20K (Can.) over a '10 RX350. (I know the real comparison is to the 450h, but they won't be available until summer and I need a new vehicle before then).
Old 02-09-09, 12:44 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The Touareg "2" dropped in 2008 (released in Europe a year earlier). Volkswagen describes the vehicle has having "2300 redesigned parts", and added more features (radar cruise, blindspot mitigation, new seats, a new 620 watt Dynaudio). You can spot it most obviously by it's face lifted front end and darkened tail-lamps. If you remember, there was a big marketing push alongside the Bourne Ultimatum in 2007 for the Touareg 2. The new 09 TDI just has the new engine.
Old 02-09-09, 01:10 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I love this article. The RX was the fastest and got the best fuel economy. That's what I love about this car. And also with the most modern interior.
Old 02-09-09, 07:03 AM
wmb
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex
I love this article. The RX was the fastest and got the best fuel economy. That's what I love about this car. And also with the most modern interior.
I agreed with you

It said "1ST PLACE - VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG TDI
Offers the most traditional SUV functionality of the bunch, with stellar looks and just the right combination of high-tech and off-road features."

I doubt any would take any of these "SUV" off-road.
Old 02-09-09, 07:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I personally don't care about placings in these reviews, never have. The testers have their biases and favorites as well. They're just normal people in the end.

All four SUVs compared here have their pluses and minuses. I guess in the end it really comes down to what you need, want and of course brand loyalty (and money, of course).

If I were to buy an SUV I would be interested in off-roading ability, which automatically eliminates the X5 and RX450h. I was never a fan of the last generation RX and the new one doesn't do anything for me either. The X5 looks too brutish for my tastes and probably isn't that comfortable too because of its sports and handling biased setup.

I find the ML and Touareg to be a very appealing vehicles. Comfortable, very capable off-road and with great diesel engines. Between these two, it is a little hard to decide since I feel both of them are excellent family vehicles and would fulfill my needs to the fullest.

Thankfully I live in the city and don't need an SUV!
Old 02-09-09, 09:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting article. I see the Touareg and RX as "different" rather than one really being better than the other. The GX is a better competitor to the Touareg, IMO, but obviously without a non-gas powertrain it was omitted. RX is more of an on roader while the VW is more of an all-arounder/mild off roader.

Cool article none the less.

Quick Reply: MT Comparo: Touareg TDI vs. RX450h vs. ML320 BLUETEC vs. X5 XDRIVE 35D