Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by MCV20
looks better than the new acura TL.
i was thinking the same thing, you'd have to be mad to buy a TL instead of this.
Old 02-11-09, 08:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
This car is more of a G8/300C competitor. I don’t see many cross-shopping this Taurus with the cars mentioned above. People who shop these cars want a little more than performance. I doubt this car comes anywhere close to the G37x, IS 250 AWD, TL-SHAWD, A4 Quattro, and 3 Series X in the luxury department. If performance is all you care about then put this on your list, however, 37K base is a little steep for a Taurus not matter the performance.

While I like this car (I would never buy it over an Acura or Lexus) and I’m sure it would be a blast to drive. It will probably get rave reviews like the G8, Genesis, and VW CC. Unfortunately for Ford it will probably have the same lowly sales numbers.
Did you see that interior? It seems to be on par with those cars. I do agree people will look at badges and BMW/Lexus/Benz have a big advantage here and the others to a lesser degree. I don't disagree that 37k is a lot for a "Taurus" based on image/brand.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i was thinking the same thing, you'd have to be mad to buy a TL instead of this.
I agree 100%. Insane and blind.

Old 02-12-09, 05:47 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did you see that interior? It seems to be on par with those cars. I do agree people will look at badges and BMW/Lexus/Benz have a big advantage here and the others to a lesser degree. I don't disagree that 37k is a lot for a "Taurus" based on image/brand.

I agree 100%. Insane and blind.
This is what I find funny more and more.

You can take two cars, both of the same quality, maybe one is better.

But someone will pay $15,000 more because of the badge and that badge alone convinces them it was a better car.

The interior of that car is off the charts!

TT AWD, what????

And for tuners... let’s not even go there!
Old 02-12-09, 05:58 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
This is what I find funny more and more.

You can take two cars, both of the same quality, maybe one is better.

But someone will pay $15,000 more because of the badge and that badge alone convinces them it was a better car.

The interior of that car is off the charts!

TT AWD, what????

And for tuners... let’s not even go there!
Well that attitude is to be expected. I'm very impressed with this Taurus SHO maybe it's because I like boost lol and you're right that's a very impressive interior. I'm ready to see BPU SHO vs IS350 oh wait never mind vs IS-F
Old 02-12-09, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree as far as looks go.....the TL's front and rear ends are a joke. But, under the skin, I think I'd rather have Acura quality, although, to its credit, Ford is building some good reliable vehicles these days.
Old 02-12-09, 07:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree as far as looks go.....the TL's front and rear ends are a joke. But, under the skin, I think I'd rather have Acura quality, although, to its credit, Ford is building some good reliable vehicles these days.
I tend to agree with you. Especially if I was looking at a $40k SHO. For a $30k Taurus I might think differently.
Old 02-12-09, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I tend to agree with you. Especially if I was looking at a $40k SHO. For a $30k Taurus I might think differently.
Agreed, I'm not comfortable with the rate of depreciation on a $40K Ford Taurus of any kind. But my family is entitled to Z-plan pricing and I'm still not compelled to spend the money on this vehicle.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-12-09 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 08:10 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If they put another name\brand on it would you pay a bit more for it?

So what other 360hp, AWD sedans can you buy for 30k?
Old 02-12-09, 08:45 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the G8 was coming out in AWD.
Old 02-12-09, 08:49 AM
LexFather

You can't. The G37x offers 3.7 liters, no turbos, smaller in size and more than likely an interior not matching the Taurus. It will have smaller wheels and features it seems. the G37x and Taurus SHO are around the same price. If you throw the TL SH-AWD, you are down 60hp, the interior is probably no better, smaller wheels, trunk and the TL can get to be more expensive.

This is like the CTS-V, a SEGMENT buster. Kudos to Ford.

G8 GXP has 420hp but RWD only and the interior is worse than any car mentioned here. Its not bad but nowhere near luxury or class leading.

Old 02-12-09, 08:52 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was under the impression that the G8 was coming out in AWD.
Thanks

I took a quick look at a non-awd G8 and it was about 34k

Guessing add 3k for AWD? 37k

The SHO is not over priced.

I am sure if they could sell it for 33-34k that does look better to me, but as far as cars in that market what can you get for 30k really..........
Old 02-12-09, 08:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Probably not. For me tho, there's more to it than just the 360hp and AWD, (which is nice). I could also get a 260hp Solstice but prefer a MX5 Miata, for a variety of reasons. I'll definitely look it over at the auto show, but if in the market for a new car I would think twice about a $40k Taurus SHO. That's just me.
Old 02-12-09, 09:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I am sure if they could sell it for 33-34k that does look better to me, but as far as cars in that market what can you get for 30k really..........
I would think the price tag should be more around $34k myself. Why not buy an MKS for $37k?
Old 02-12-09, 09:14 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I know there aren't if any cars in the same class as the SHO, but I'm sure there'll still be plenty of people stuck on the idea of paying 40k for a Ford.

Better than paying 30-35k for a Hyundai, but still.
Old 02-12-09, 09:14 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I would think the price tag should be more around $34k myself. Why not buy an MKS for $37k?
Ok checked those prices real quick. A basic MKS will be 42k sticker in the AWD setup and that is aout 90hp less, so that is why.

They are going to offer that SHO engine in the MKS it looks like but you can bet you will spent 6-8k more on the MKS all said and done.

So I still do not see a 40k or less AWD high HP sedan minus the G8 WHEN it comes out in AWD.

I agree with some other posts, many people spending 40k will look elsewhere but I can see where a group of buyers want something like this.

Quick Reply: Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995