Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 09:21 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
It is a 4 door sedan, twin turbo, 360hp ALL WHEEL DRIVE car that gets 25mpg and people want to bag on the 38k price tag?
It's a Ford Taurus.

I'm sure if the people at Men's Warehouse got together for a special project, they could order the finest materials and construct a fully canvased suit of equal quality to Brioni. Is someone going to pay $5,000 for it? No, it still says Men's Warehouse on the inside.

Regardless of how much sense it makes, we live in a world where a Ford Taurus, regardless of how improved it is, is still a Taurus. The population cares about lables and brand names, that's just the way it is. The car is priced too high.
Old 02-12-09, 09:22 AM
LexFather

Just from a Lexus perspective
IS 250 AWD 206hp-37k with NAV and other options
GS 350 AWD 303hp-52k with NAV and other options
LS 460 AWD 368hp-70k(??) with NAV and other options

Here is a Ford Taurus SHO with 365hp for 37k.

Now I am not suggesting one is better than the other, this is merely for comparisons sake.

As for the G8, It makes me do double takes every time I see it. I think its beautiful yet aggresive.

Old 02-12-09, 09:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Ok checked those prices real quick. A basic MKS will be 42k sticker in the AWD setup and that is aout 90hp less, so that is why.

They are going to offer that SHO engine in the MKS it looks like but you can bet you will spent 6-8k more on the MKS all said and done.

So I still do not see a 40k or less AWD high HP sedan minus the G8 WHEN it comes out in AWD.

I agree with some other posts, many people spending 40k will look elsewhere but I can see where a group of buyers want something like this.
I hope the SHO does well, it's an interesting car.

The MKS is off to a good start even in these tough times. Last time I looked it was outselling the Genesis nearly 2 to 1. Add in the tt and it will have even more to offer.

I think the non-tt AWD MKS that C&D tested stickered at nearly $49k. The tt model should go for over $50k.

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-12-09 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 09:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tsavo
It's a Ford Taurus.

I'm sure if the people at Men's Warehouse got together for a special project, they could order the finest materials and construct a fully canvased suit of equal quality to Brioni. Is someone going to pay $5,000 for it? No, it still says Men's Warehouse on the inside.

Regardless of how much sense it makes, we live in a world where a Ford Taurus, regardless of how improved it is, is still a Taurus. The population cares about lables and brand names, that's just the way it is. The car is priced too high.
I don't think JP, myself or others disagree. Your post makes complete sense. I for one agree with it and have said this since day 1 on this forum. "Image" is something "Everything" (excuse me Mr. Aggasi)

While the Taurus SHO seems a hit on paper the facts are
-Its 37k the same area as premium nameplates
-The Ford badge is under scrutiny from buyers b/c of financial trouble.
-Successful people want to be associated with Successful brands
-The "SHO" name has been gone for sometime now and not sure its revival means much to buyers.
-Ford 500 sounds a lot better with the specs this car has. Shame they went back to Taurus.

SO now I don't disagree. Its just a shame this car will be overlooked b/c of the badge.
Pontiac G8
Nissan Maxima
Hyundai Genesis
Taurus SHO

Are all new fantastic cars without the "badge" cred.

Old 02-12-09, 09:34 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

I agree. If this was the new ES, people would be raving about it.
Old 02-12-09, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just from a Lexus perspective
IS 250 AWD 206hp-37k with NAV and other options
GS 350 AWD 303hp-52k with NAV and other options
LS 460 AWD 368hp-70k(??) with NAV and other options

Here is a Ford Taurus SHO with 365hp for 37k.

Now I am not suggesting one is better than the other, this is merely for comparisons sake.

As for the G8, It makes me do double takes every time I see it. I think its beautiful yet aggresive.
If the SO starts at $38k, when you add nav and other options you're over $40k. That seems to be what some people are having an issue with. I can't predict the future but what will the value of the SHO be in 3-5 years vs. IS, GS and LS?
Old 02-12-09, 09:43 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think JP, myself or others disagree. Your post makes complete sense. I for one agree with it and have said this since day 1 on this forum. "Image" is something "Everything" (excuse me Mr. Aggasi)

While the Taurus SHO seems a hit on paper the facts are
-Its 37k the same area as premium nameplates
-The Ford badge is under scrutiny from buyers b/c of financial trouble.
-Successful people want to be associated with Successful brands
-The "SHO" name has been gone for sometime now and not sure its revival means much to buyers.
-Ford 500 sounds a lot better with the specs this car has. Shame they went back to Taurus.

SO now I don't disagree. Its just a shame this car will be overlooked b/c of the badge.
Pontiac G8
Nissan Maxima
Hyundai Genesis
Taurus SHO

Good post.

Myself I have been guilty of that in the past, I bought a lot of things that had a great name that I was disappointed with. When it comes down to it I am trying to take my blinders off and take a fair look at things.

Hell lets talk Benz products a while back you know?

Things are what they are regardless of badge, looking at what they have put out with this SHO it looks like a nice setup to me given the stock performance and upgrade possibilities.

Everyday I begin to care less and less what brand of anything I have.
Old 02-12-09, 10:00 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I still do not see a 40k or less AWD high HP sedan minus the G8 WHEN it comes out in AWD.
I guess Im stuck on the idea that you can get a $32k Legacy that though 243 HP isn't all that high, the car can hit 60 MPH in 5.5 seconds. And the new one is supposed to have ooodles of power for the same price.
Old 02-12-09, 10:49 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really like it. ford is suddenly doing something right, many of their interiors really appeal to me as well as exterior design. the fact that the engine is tt making lots of power is fantastic.
i would drive it for sure.
Old 02-12-09, 10:51 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If the SO starts at $38k, when you add nav and other options you're over $40k. That seems to be what some people are having an issue with. I can't predict the future but what will the value of the SHO be in 3-5 years vs. IS, GS and LS?
i dont' really have a problem with the price, after all, 365 hp and awd comes at a premium no matter what name is on the hood. forget that it says ford taurus and i think it would suddenly make sense. i've never really cared what badge is on the car; it's all about the performance/style/whatever else i care about.
i do hope they depreciate terribly though for my selfish reasons; i can pick up on cheap after it's 2 years old!
Old 02-12-09, 11:18 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great effort by Ford, this car will be a hit, for those who would pay 10-15K more for an import badge go right ahead, the image era is over, in these economic times this represents excellent value for a FULL size performance car with AWD, kudos.
Old 02-12-09, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"[B]Image" is something "Everything"
Yes, in many cases, it is, but that's only because people LET image be everything. The smart car buyer looks past the badge on the grille and looks at what he or she is getting under the skin for the money. THAT is what is important.....and, of course, why you and I both take the time to do reviews.

Pontiac G8
Nissan Maxima
Hyundai Genesis
Taurus SHO

Don't forget the Dodge Charger R/T Hemi, either..........it can be had with AWD and some 340 HP for well under 40K, even in the non-SRT version.
Old 02-12-09, 12:51 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Indio
What a great effort by Ford, this car will be a hit, for those who would pay 10-15K more for an import badge go right ahead, the image era is over, in these economic times this represents excellent value for a FULL size performance car with AWD, kudos.
I agree about the value, but the image era will NEVER end in modern society. It has existed since advanced societies have erected, and it's only non-existent in very, very primitive cultures that do not exist in this country.

Let's be honest here. If you have a nice car, it can get you laid. A Ford Taurus isn't going to get you laid. So, in theory, I'd question how much of a "value" the Taurus is to some people. Despite how you feel, there are PLENTY of people out there that buy a certain car to attract the opposite sex and to up their profile (ever been to LA?). A Taurus could have 600hp and it isn't going to be worth much to them.

Last edited by tsavo; 02-12-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tsavo
Let's be honest here. If you have a nice car, it can get you laid. A Ford Taurus isn't going to get you laid. So, in theory, I'd question how much of a "value" the Taurus is to some people. Despite how you feel, there are PLENTY of people out there that buy a certain car to attract the opposite sex and to up their profile (ever been to LA?). A Taurus could have 600hp and it isn't going to be worth much to them.
When people get to the point where they depend on a car purchase for their womanhood or manhood, or to attract a mate, then, as far as I'm concerned, it's time to go to the shrink and get some therapy.
Old 02-12-09, 01:17 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When people get to the point where they depend on a car purchase for their womanhood or manhood, or to attract a mate, then, as far as I'm concerned, it's time to go to the shrink and get some therapy.
That's all good and well, but that's the world we live in, sorry.

From what I've seen in your posts, you seem to want the world to operate in some manner other than the way things actually work. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's going to give you a heck of a lot of unrealistic expectations.

Why do you think people pay 15k for a Rolex and not a nicer time piece of equal price? It's because people recognize Rolex as being an expensive watch, that's why they sell. A person who truly appreciates a great time piece would not purchase a Rolex. It's all about image.

Cars are no different. This is reality, the sooner you accept that the easier it will be to understand why, in this country, this car is overpriced.

A Ford is a Ford, you can't price it based on its stats alone. If that were true, a new ZR1 Vette would be a lot more than 105k. You know why it isn't, because nobody is going to pay 250k for a CHEVY.

Quick Reply: Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995