Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09 | 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsavo
That's all good and well, but that's the world we live in, sorry.

From what I've seen in your posts, you seem to want the world to operate in some manner other than the way things actually work. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's going to give you a heck of a lot of unrealistic expectations.
Well, that's just it, tsavo. Things don't always work the way they seem to, or the way that the we've been conditoned by the media to believe. A lot of people believe things that simply aren't so, especially in the automotive world.....images like Buicks only being for old people, or minivans only for soccer moms and wimps, or sports cars for only young males and mid-life-crisis guys, or Saabs and Subarus being for Lesbians. That is the picture the automotive press and media gives, and a lot of people believe it. But that doesn't make it so. I try to post things based on common sense and what experience has actually taught, not media images.....and I have been reviewing cars for some 40 years, so I do have some experience.

Why do you think people pay 15k for a Rolex and not a nicer time piece of equal price? It's because people recognize Rolex as being an expensive watch, that's why they sell. A person who truly appreciates a great time piece would not purchase a Rolex. It's all about image.
A Rolex is more than just image. It is probably the finest hand-made watch in the world, quality-wise. My late father had one that he got in Europe in the early 1950's.....it was still running perfectly 25 years later.

Cars are no different. This is reality, the sooner you accept that the easier it will be to understand why, in this country, this car is overpriced.

A Ford is a Ford, you can't price it based on its stats alone. If that were true, a new ZR1 Vette would be a lot more than 105k. You know why it isn't, because nobody is going to pay 250k for a CHEVY.
OK.....back to the Taurus SHO, and the issue of whether it is overpriced, before the mods get us for getting off-topic. 35-40K is about my upper limit on what I myself would spend for a new car. Any more than 40K, IMO, is just too much for a new car......but that is, admittedly, my personal view, and not necessarily that of others. The real issue of whether the SHO is overpriced will be determined by how much the public responds to it......and, of clurse, by how much Ford dealerships are willing to discount it.

In the meantime, I agree with 1SICKLEX (who is usually correct on car-market issues, even though he and I sometimes disagree on the Acura RL)....the Taurus SHO, at least on the surface, looks like a pretty nice package for 37-38K, and there isn't much that can offer the same package for under 40K. The AWD Charger R/T can, but it has poor build quality, and doesn't quite equal the SHO's power in non-SRT form.
Old 02-12-09 | 01:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

ECOboost doesnt sound that badass.
Old 02-12-09 | 01:54 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

A Rolex is more than just image. It is probably the finest hand-made watch in the world, quality-wise.
There are timepieces MUCH nicer than Rolex. A Rolex is usually purchased by people with more money than style, and those who have little understanding of a truly fine timepiece.

Saying a Rolex makes finest watch is like saying Hugo Boss makes the world's finest suits.

"Rolex is the nicest watch made" is something you would hear from Joe Schmo who doesn't know anything about watches. It's ironic you don't understand this when just a few posts previous to this you said...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that's just it, tsavo. Things don't always work the way they seem to, or the way that the we've been conditoned by the media to believe.That is the picture the automotive press and media gives, and a lot of people believe it. But that doesn't make it so.
Same goes for the watch industry. The truly fine timepieces, your average person has never heard of, just as they have never heard of Kiton, Brioni or John Lobb-but I can guarantee you they have heard of Gucci, Versace and Prada, despite the fact that these brands are not near the level of the first 3 I mentioned.

GM and Ford, as well as other car companies have positioned themselves in a place where they have a very hard time convincing people to buy some of their vehicles, hence the bailout. Their image, it is what it is, it's much too late to change it.

Last edited by tsavo; 02-12-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-12-09 | 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There are time pieces MUCH nicer than Rolex. A Rolex is usually purchased by people with more money than style, and those who have little understanding of a truly fine time piece.

Saying a Rolex makes finest watch is like saying Hugo Boss makes the world's finest suits.

"Rolex is the nicest watch made" is something you would hear from Joe Schmo who doesn't know anything about watches.

"Nicest" doesn't necessarily mean the finest quality.

The term "Built like a Swiss watch" didn't just pop out of thin air for nothing. It meant something......born from experience. And Roles is the dean of Swiss watches. They run almost forever if you don't abuse them.

However, I agree with you that people don't need to spend Rolex money to get a decent everyday timepiece. I've got a $120 Brut battery-operated analog watch that I bought new for $19.95 at a Giant grocery-store Christmas clearance sale....it's lasted for 10 years with no problem, and still going strong.

GM and Ford, as well as other car companies have positioned themselves in a place where they have a very hard time convincing people to buy some of their vehicles, hence the bailout. Their image, it is what it is, it's much too late to change it.
It's hard to sit in or drive a new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Cadillac CTS,
Ford Fusion, or Ford Taurus without seeing how much progress Ford and GM have made, at least in some of their vehicles, if not all.

The sales figures for the Malibu, especially, show that the public does seem to be responding.....the Malibu now appeals to more than just rental-car companies.

It was the same way with Hyundai and Kia. People didn't believe that they could make good vehicles.....until they saw for themselves. I myself was one of the biggest skeptics....until I saw for myself.

One picture says a thouand words.......

Old 02-12-09 | 02:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

For me, the SHO is more a question of value and not so much a question of badge, looks, build quality, performance, appeal etc.

On paper and in pictures, it looks great and interesting. It's different with each buyer, but I buy my cars and would hesitate to spend $40k on one at this time - Same with a $50k MKS.

I'm sure there will be buyers for the SHO and hope that Ford gives it time to ride out the tough new car market and establish itself.
Old 02-12-09 | 03:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I wouldn't overlook a $35k Fusion SHO, with a 6MT. I don't think it would need all 365 horses though.
Old 02-12-09 | 03:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For me, the SHO is more a question of value and not so much a question of badge, looks, build quality, performance, appeal etc.

On paper and in pictures, it looks great and interesting. It's different with each buyer, but I buy my cars and would hesitate to spend $40k on one at this time - Same with a $50k MKS.

I'm sure there will be buyers for the SHO and hope that Ford gives it time to ride out the tough new car market and establish itself.
I actually enjoyed driving the previous gen SHO, sweet engine/good fun.

That's where I'm coming from on this car. We all can certainly give some valued opinions on this car, but how much of this will convert to sales? I for one buy a lot of cars and would be an ideal candidate. My track record shows a history of owning many premium cars. On top of that I get Z-plan pricing/deep discount on Ford products. The car is cool enough for me to test drive, but it's very unlikely I'll buy one.

The fact is that buying/owning higher-end premium cars is very expensive, so you can't blame the buyer for preferring the established and proven brands like Lexus/Bmw/Benz, etc. Buyers in this category are not big risk takers with these purchases.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-12-09 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-12-09 | 03:38 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Let me put it this way...

$38k is perfectly fine for this CAR.

$38k is too much for a FORD.
Old 02-12-09 | 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Let me put it this way...

$38k is too much for a FORD.
Especially if it's my $38K that I have to put on the line...

Not likely.
Old 02-13-09 | 05:22 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by STIG
ECOboost doesnt sound that badass.
ECOboost > N/A
Old 02-13-09 | 05:24 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it's the best looking ford ever!
Old 02-13-09 | 02:32 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Why do you think people pay 15k for a Rolex and not a nicer time piece of equal price? It's because people recognize Rolex as being an expensive watch, that's why they sell. A person who truly appreciates a great time piece would not purchase a Rolex. It's all about image.
People spend 15K or more on a Rolex, not because they are regarded as fine watches. They buy them because they have been proven again, and again, to be the longest lasting, most indestructible watch on earth. Neil Armstrong wore one when he first stepped on the moon in 1969. Sir Edmund Hillery, also, was wearing a Rolex when he became the first man to reach the top of Mt Everest. It's the only watch Jacque Cousteau EVER wore. Rolex stands for something. Rolex has history. It's NOT just a name.
Sorry about the rant.
Old 02-13-09 | 03:05 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by IS350jet
People spend 15K or more on a Rolex, not because they are regarded as fine watches. They buy them because they have been proven again, and again, to be the longest lasting, most indestructible watch on earth. Neil Armstrong wore one when he first stepped on the moon in 1969. Sir Edmund Hillery, also, was wearing a Rolex when he became the first man to reach the top of Mt Everest. It's the only watch Jacque Cousteau EVER wore. Rolex stands for something. Rolex has history. It's NOT just a name.
Sorry about the rant.
It is also 2009.......
Old 02-13-09 | 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
It is also 2009.......
Yes but I enjoyed the history lesson.

A good brand name backed up by a good product is a winning combo.
Old 02-13-09 | 04:03 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes but I enjoyed the history lesson.

A good brand name backed up by a good product is a winning combo.
Free shot, I had to take it.

Quick Reply: Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO will start at $37,995