Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Nissan 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 08:51 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.
And (some) dealers are willing to discount on the 370Z, though......almost unheard of on a just-introduced new sports car.
not unheard of. checking over at 370z forums, guys that know how to haggle are getting it for under msrp and some even close to invoice.
Old 02-12-09, 04:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

..... Its 4 year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, however doesn't cover its drivetrain as well as the Nissan's 5/60, and both cars have a superb chassis and steering.
Audi's currently offering extended to 100K for $600.00, no cost if you lease...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-12-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Audi's currently offering extended to $100K for $600.00, no cost if you lease...
Thanks, Russ.....I wasn't aware of it. Sounds like a fairly good deal, but why would leasing be a factor?....I don't get that. Most lease deals are for 2-4 years, at 10,000-15,000 miles a year. You wouldn't be anywhere near 100K miles on a lease.
Old 02-12-09, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
not unheard of. checking over at 370z forums, guys that know how to haggle are getting it for under msrp and some even close to invoice.
In the sense I was using it, it IS very unusual. I was refering to the 370's present introduction, and the fact that some dealerships are letting them go for less than list...as you yourself note from the 370Z forums.

But that was not the case with many previous new 2-seaters. When the Mazda RX-7 was introduced in 1978, Honda CRX in 1984, Mazda Miata in 1989, Ford Thunderbird in 2001, the 350Z a year later, and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky in 2006, all of them except the Sky brought, in general, big mark-ups over list when they were new. The only exception was the Sky, because Saturn policy did not allow mark-ups...they had to be sold only a list. But, even then, Saturn retailers were adding factory-approved acccessories to bump the prices up, legally.

So, to see a brand new two-seater sports car like the 370Z debut with many deals under list, as far as I'm concerned, IS quite unusual.
Old 02-12-09, 06:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"Take the plastic covers off the engine, battery, and reservoirs, and toss them in the trash where they belong"

the battery cover is there for a reason....did you know that a clean battery lasts much longer than a dirty one? also keeping it away from the heat of the motor helps (better yet would be in the hatch area to give better weight dist).

I just changed the battery in my son's 350Z...lasted from 2004 until Jan 2009.

I like the trailer hitch.....

Last edited by bagwell; 02-12-09 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
"Take the plastic covers off the engine, battery, and reservoirs, and toss them in the trash where they belong"

the battery cover is there for a reason....did you know that a clean battery lasts much longer than a dirty one? also keeping it away from the heat of the motor helps (better yet would be in the hatch area to give better weight dist).
Nope. I disagree. If the battery is uncovered, you will see the corrosion and white powder building up on the terminals and be more likely to either clean it off yourself or have the shop do it. and, as far as heat is concerned, a battery (to an point) works better, and is more efficient, if it is warm or hot.

That is why battery strength is measured in what is called CCA....Cold Cranking Amps. CCA's are tested, and measured, at 0 degrees F, to determine the battery's suitability for winter starts. As it warms up, CCA's increase, and the battery accepts a charge more efficiently....to a point.

Putting the battery in the rear is something that you see for two main reasons....either for weight balance and handling, of because the hood compartment is just too stuffed with other things. It does help with weight distribution, but today's batteries aren't that heavy to start with, so it isn't that big a deal, and, of course, it requires L-O-N-G battery cables that be very difficult to replace, if necessary.
Old 02-12-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I just changed the battery in my son's 350Z...lasted from 2004 until Jan 2009.

Did you have any trouble with uneven tire wear, bad alignments, and high road noise? The 350Z was notorious for that, especially for the first couple of years....Nissan did a lot of work under warranty.

I'm not saying it was a bad car (and, of course, it was fun to drive), but it was not well-developed before Nissan first released it. It also had some flimsy parts inside, especially on the dash. Road and Track and Car and Driver magazines both had problems with their long-term test 350Zs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-09 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you have any trouble with uneven tire wear, bad alignments, and high road noise? The 350Z was notorious for that, especially for the first couple of years....Nissan did a lot of work under warranty.

I'm not saying it was a bad car (and, of course, it was fun to drive), but it was not well-developed before Nissan first released it. It also had some flimsy parts inside, especially on the dash. Road and Track and Car and Driver magazines both had problems with their long-term test 350Zs.
zero tire trouble in 40+K miles, still on its 2nd set of tires. Most sporty cars will have road noise...its not excessive IMO.

I had its 6 spd tranny replaced once...and this one grinds occasionally going into 5th.

BTW -- my point about car batteries is that they will last longer at room temp then at 120°F+ which is normal under the hood temps, so keeping them isolated from the engine and dirt prolongs their life -- simply wiping off the top and sides of the battery will prolong batt life as well.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-12-09 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:11 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great review, mmarshall, thanks for taking the time spent on such a comprehensive writeup
Old 02-12-09, 09:57 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the sense I was using it, it IS very unusual. I was refering to the 370's present introduction, and the fact that some dealerships are letting them go for less than list...as you yourself note from the 370Z forums.

But that was not the case with many previous new 2-seaters. When the Mazda RX-7 was introduced in 1978, Honda CRX in 1984, Mazda Miata in 1989, Ford Thunderbird in 2001, the 350Z a year later, and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky in 2006, all of them except the Sky brought, in general, big mark-ups over list when they were new. The only exception was the Sky, because Saturn policy did not allow mark-ups...they had to be sold only a list. But, even then, Saturn retailers were adding factory-approved acccessories to bump the prices up, legally.

So, to see a brand new two-seater sports car like the 370Z debut with many deals under list, as far as I'm concerned, IS quite unusual.
Have you read about the economy lately? Every car manufacturer is having a tough time moving vehicles; even the mighty Nissan GTR can be had without any markup.

I do applaud Nissan for persevering with the Z and bringing along the GTR to the US; they are the only Japanese manufacturer that is offering vehicles that do not put you in a coma while driving (along with the EVO and the STI).

If I was in the market for a sports car right now, the Z would be first on my list even if I could afford a Cayman or a Corvette.
Old 02-12-09, 10:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Very nicely written review as usual, marshall Thanks

I will have to go look at one, haven't seen it in person yet.
Old 02-12-09, 10:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Thanks, Russ.....I wasn't aware of it. Sounds like a fairly good deal, but why would leasing be a factor?....I don't get that. Most lease deals are for 2-4 years, at 10,000-15,000 miles a year. You wouldn't be anywhere near 100K miles on a lease.
Scratched my head a bit on that as well Mike, not a factor for me as I intend to buy outright... maybe for lease end, as you can resell it/tranferable???
Old 02-12-09, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Very nicely written review as usual, marshall Thanks
Sure. Anytime. Next planned ones coming up are the Audi Q5 and 2010 Lexus RX350.

I will have to go look at one, haven't seen it in person yet.
I'm sure there are Nissan dealerships (and car shows) in your Seattle-Vancouver area, but I'm not sure if the 370Z is offered in Canada.
Old 02-12-09, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
great review, mmarshall, thanks for taking the time spent on such a comprehensive writeup
Thanks.

Since I retired from my regular job, I now consider that my "work".
Old 02-12-09, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Have you read about the economy lately? Every car manufacturer is having a tough time moving vehicles; even the mighty Nissan GTR can be had without any markup.
Yes, no doubt the economy is a factor. I didn't say otherwise, although my area (D.C. Metro) has traditionally been strongly resistant to recessions because of all the government people here and steady jobs. Dealerships can sometimes sell here where they can nowhere else (except maybe SoCal)

I do applaud Nissan for persevering with the Z and bringing along the GTR to the US; they are the only Japanese manufacturer that is offering vehicles that do not put you in a coma while driving (along with the EVO and the STI).
In a coma while driving? Sorry....I don't follow you on that one, especially with the Evo and STI, unless you are talking about the stiff, noisy rides those two cars have that tends to keep you awake.

If I was in the market for a sports car right now, the Z would be first on my list even if I could afford a Cayman or a Corvette.
You could do a lot worse for the money, though the Corvette's torque blows it away at low RPM's. Base Corvettes can be had in today's market in the low-mid 40s....I saw one recently for 41K.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Nissan 370Z