Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Canadian Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 01:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The Genesis isn't the game changer I thought it would be - Yet. On the other hand it's been out a while now, but newly released models from familiar names (Nissan, Acura, Lincoln, VW etc.) have been outselling it month after month. I agree though, that Hyundai has the money and patience to stick it out.
Old 02-15-09, 04:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't blame then for the award. The genesis is shaking things up .
Old 02-15-09, 06:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's surprising to me that in spite of all the positive reviews and awards, the Genesis isn't selling better.

In January a miserable month for all car makers, it was outsold by Maxima, TL (2 to 1 by Max and TL) MKS and VW CC.

I wonder if the general car buying public still hasn't warmed up to a luxury model from Hyundai. My guess is that Hyundai is patient and will stick with it for the long run.

hahhahaha....as I said, I don't think the US (or world) is ready for a $35K Hyundai....especially in today's market.
Old 02-15-09, 10:13 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
it's just a matter of time hyundai becomes one of those top brands especially if they do come out with a luxury brand. just look at what samsung has done in last 10 years. and just look what hyundai has done in last 10 years. globalization helps, but it's the korean's relentless work ethic and 'small country' complex which helps them grow and achieve greatness. just read about samsung's new 8mega pixel HD phone, and solar powered phone. they are coming up with new technology and invention every month now. just 15-20 years ago, samsung was a joke of a company. now, they are laughing at sony. go back in time, what would guys thought of hyundai in 1999? it was an absolute garbage. they were a rock bottom of the food chain. none of us would've thought hyundai would be any more signicant 10 years later. i'm betting that hyundai will be a serious powerhouse by 2020. they got the money and desire to do it.

times are changing, and koreans are coming after the big boys. genesis really was the start of the new chapter. it will be as significant as lexus LS.
Exaggeration much? I'm guessing you are Korean, cuz you preach and defend Korean products fervently in every single post you make. I guess I can understand your enthusiasm. But no, Samsung is not laughing at Sony, but I'd say that they are competitive in certain products.

Anyways, until Hyundai is able to have their own design language and stop copying other carmakers, I don't think the Genesis deserves those kinds of accolades. Not to dismiss their R&D, but It's easier to undercut the cost of your competitors when you are just taking bits and pieces from different cars in terms of design. And no, Lexus did not do that with their LS. There's a difference between industry trends and copycat. And don't forget that Lexus came up with the tailights on the 1st gen IS which inspired a lot of other carmakers to follow a similar design.
Old 02-16-09, 10:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I hope they suceed and do well. Just curious as to why the Genesis, for example, isn't selling as well as I thought it would vs. other new models launched about the same time..

No hate, just curiousity. There's a difference.

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-16-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 10:30 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
Uhh, how is Hyundai "cheap" considering that it is spending billions in R&D (Hyundai is only one of 4 automakers to develop an in-house 6 spd auto tranny - the other 3 being Toyota and GM/Ford via a joint venture and will be one of the few to offer an 8-spd; not to mention developing a V-8 that made Ward Auto's Ten Best Engines list for 2009).
huh? The V6 6AT is made by Aishin, and the V8 6AT is made by ZF.
Old 02-16-09, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Actually, this is not true. Countries in Asia, especially Taiwan, HongKong, Singapore, and China, are ultimate brandwh*res. If you live there for a while you will see that most consumers there consider Mercedes and BMWs to be far more superior than any other car makers. They would rather buy Mercedes C200 (C-class with a 1.8 liter 4-cyl engine) over a fully-loaded w/NAV IS250 or a ES350 with the same price. The Genesis, if sold in those countries, can only attract people who really can not afford a Mercedes or a BMW. They will NOT think of it as a luxury car, because even Corollas can be equipped with lots of wood and leather in those places. Brand is everything there.

In contrast, consumers in the US are much less brandwh*res, because they are much more well-informed, with the highest degree of internet data usage and autoshows that are open to the public.
100% correct Ray and thanks for posting. Europe is worst than us as well, they would rather drive a 320 BMW with 120hp than an IS 250 for the same price. Lexus has tons of trouble on its own HOME TURF in Japan as imported Germans are just seen as "superior" with image.

Old 02-16-09, 06:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I hope they suceed and do well. Just curious as to why the Genesis, for example, isn't selling as well as I thought it would vs. other new models launched about the same time..

No hate, just curiousity. There's a difference.
I believe sales goals were 20-25k the first year and this was before the economic hit the dump in the summer. In contrast Acura in the fall stated they still want to sel 70k TLs a year and they are not close.

Old 02-16-09, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents please
1. No personal jabs or insults
2. No "you must be Korean" comments or jabs at Koreans, I mean seriously.....

I think we can agree/disagree about this car and award. Some will love it, some won't and everyone is completely entitled to their opinion once they follow the rules.

For me Genesis>Acura

Old 02-17-09, 02:06 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to post these..

Just another Hyundai to me

Old 02-17-09, 03:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I sat in a Genesis for the 1st time today at the Chicago Auto Show. Very nice. I was impressed. There was nothing not to like. Now this is just me, but if I'm I'm laying out the $42k MRSP of the car I was in, I need more convincing. No matter how much I like it, it just seems high to me. I don't know why.

Now the Sonata and Elantra that I looked at as a possible DD made a lot of sense to me. No more convincing necessary.
Old 02-17-09, 04:36 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm impressed.

Last edited by Epik151; 02-17-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 06:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Nice. Now THAT wasn't at the show today....
Old 02-17-09, 10:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Epik151
I'm impressed.

What version is that?
Old 02-17-09, 10:46 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV