Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Canadian Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Korean technology ROCKS! So does the Genesis LOL!
My last 2 cell phones have been Korean, above average batteries made the difference. LOL
Old 02-21-09, 07:56 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
Again - you are mixing "luxury product" w/ "luxury brand".

Based on your premise, a $30k diamond necklace from Costco isn't "luxury."
I am not, you just aren't comprehending what I am writing. Luxury brand begets luxury product, what is so hard to understand?? Hyundai /= Luxury brand, therefore, Genesis /= Luxury vehicle. How else must I say it?

Seriously what are you talking about? Costco ISN'T going to sell a 30k "luxury diamond necklace". You are totally missing the point. How does this analogy make any sense at all???? Are you saying price is the criteria for luxury?

Originally Posted by YEH
Uhh, what's the issue here?

Hyundai isn't looking to be seen as a luxury brand.

They just happen to put forth a more upscale product as their "halo" model.
Just trying to explain something to you that you seem to not understand.

So Hyundai wants to sell a "luxury" vehicle but isn't looking to be seen as a luxury brand?? So why go the extra mile and release the Equus here as the Genesis Prestige then??? So by your own logic are you not saying that the Genesis is not a luxury vehicle since Hyundai isn't looking to be seen as a luxury brand?
Or are you saying Hyundai doesn't need to be seen as a luxury brand to release luxury products? Does that make any sense????

Did you just not prove my point that the Genesis is not a luxury vehicle??? Or b/c the Genesis is their halo model that's why it is luxury? What are you trying to say?

Originally Posted by YEH
Gee, wasn't that the original LS's main selling point?
Yes but at least it was released under a dedicated luxury nameplate.

Originally Posted by YEH
Look at it this way.

There isn't that much of a difference btwn a fully load Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX (esp. the first 2 generations).

Are you going to tell me that a fully loaded Land Cruiser isn't "luxurious", but yet simply rebadging it as the LX makes it so?
Yes MAN, that is what I have been trying to tell you for the past 10000 replies. As shallow as it may seem it's the truth and a fact of life, BRAND is extremely important when it comes to the luxury market. Geez man have I not been saying this??? It's life man EVERYWHERE, not just the US but EVERYWHERE. Like it or not that little nameplate WILL make a difference, to say it doesn't is just being naive. In this same world where brand doesn't matter I'm sure there is peace on earth, no taxes, justice for all etc etc etc. If you know of such a place please tell me I would like to go.

Let me put it as simple as possible-

When it comes to the luxury market BRAND MATTERS no matter the quality of the product.

And please do not bring up some ridiculous comparison like costco selling a 30k necklace, at least think of one that might make sense.

Like I said, luxury is MORE than just a product, it's a concept you just aren't able to grasp for some reason, it's the service, it's the experience and the whole nine etc etc etc.

Like I said before as well, I am fully aware of a luxury brand and product, but you seem to be unable to grasp this concept which I have been trying to explain to you.

What is it you're trying to say? Half your arguments don't make sense the other half are all over the place or contradictory.
Old 02-21-09, 08:16 PM
Epik151
Driver

If the Genesis isn't a game-changer I don't know what is.
Old 02-22-09, 11:12 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I didn't make the point, you did. You started the whole idea that more expensive = luxury. You said that the Genesis is a real luxury car because it is more expensive in China, so I was simply telling you that cars in China are just more expensive by default. So now you think you don't have a point anymore, I'm fine with that.
You need to comprehend a little better.

I didn't not say equate "more expensive" = luxury.

You, however, were the one to equate the Genesis' lower price (in the US) to being "cheap."

I was merely pointing out that the Genesis sells for less in the US, (in comparison to China and Korea) since Hyundai is willing to take a hit in profit margins, since the value equation is an important part in garnering sales of a new product (just like what Toyota did w/ the LS - except that Toyota was willing to take a loss at the start).

So you're whole point about the Genesis not being as good merely b/c it is being offered here in the US for less is moot.

VW is the best selling brand because they're cheaper since some models are built in China. And why bring up VW anyways?
Uhh, pretty much all of VWs and Buicks sold in China are built in China.

I brought up VW to show that the Chinese are hardly beholden to the past, and like consumers everywhere, buy what they consider is a good value and a good product, as well as the brand name.

Buick-China made some missteps which is why VW sales surpassed them (and why Buick sales dropped significantly even while Chevy and Cadillac sales went up).

right, i'm sure the younger, urban Chinese downing via the net is the vast majority of population in the US. If you don't see the difference between me describing the general trend of internet users researching contents online vs you finding young generations of DLers downloading movies then that's too bad.
For someone who purportedly lives in China, you have awfully little understanding of the Chinese, particularly, the urban, educated folk who are the ones buying autos (as well as other consumer products).

Yeah, I guess these Chinese consumers don't read reviews on cellphones (or other electronics equipment) and just buy any ol' cellphone - lol.

fyi the number 1 foreign brand does NOT mean it outsells domestic cars.
Uhh, when did I say that?

The point is - Honda is now the no.1 import brand in Korea since it makes good products.

And gee, I wonder how ever Koreans got that info.?

Mind you, you were the one who stated that Koreans didn't have to do research since they just bought domestic. For those who didn't, how did they know that the Accord and CR-V (Honda's best sellers in Korea) are good models?

Anyway, it's not like buying domestic means that one still doesn't have to do due diligence - there are a no. of Korean manufacturers, selling a wide variety of vehicles.

next time if you get a chance to go to japan, try to use the web on their cell phone. it's not an adequate tool for researching, and i never said they don't "look up" stuff, don't change what I said.
Stop being so disingenuous.

You know full well that you were bringing up the whole "cellphone is not a good webtool" thing to try to support your position that people in Asian countries don't do their due diligence on the web.

Anyway, it's not that more difficult to read stuff from the web on a cell (heck, people in Asia post alot on various websites - aka netizens) and for those whose eyesights aren't as sharp, there is always the more traditional way to get on the web.

More and more people in the US are accessing the web thru their smartphones - does that mean Americans are utilizing less research? lol

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I am not, you just aren't comprehending what I am writing. Luxury brand begets luxury product, what is so hard to understand?? Hyundai /= Luxury brand, therefore, Genesis /= Luxury vehicle. How else must I say it?
I am comprehending what you are trying to say - what you say doesn't make much sense.

Many of your compadres here think along the same lines (as me - just to make that clear).

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It won't matter if the LX570 & GX470 are considered real Lexus or not because the Land Cruiser and Cruiser Prados are very expensive themselves already, more expensive anywhere than many of the so called "luxury brand" cars that Benz and BMW, are selling anywhere.
Even in the USA, they are selling well within the price range of any luxury car brands. It's like saying if you put a 3 point star or a propeller logo on a Land Cruiser, it's automatically a luxury car, but if you switch it back to the Toyota logo, then it isn't, because it's , well a Toyota, not a "luxury brand".

Had Mercedes and BMW made the exact same Land cruiser, it will be a bona fide Mercedes and BMW model selling well within their own price range, since it's the logo, not the car itself that matters ? Using brand to differentiate is sometimes so stupid.
The Land Cruiser is more high end in both luxury and specs. than some of the BMW and Mercedes models that they are selling even in the U.S.
, not to mention the lower end mercs and bimmers they are selling in the rest of the world that make up the vast majority of their sales.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-sales-9.html

Seriously what are you talking about? Costco ISN'T going to sell a 30k "luxury diamond necklace". You are totally missing the point. How does this analogy make any sense at all???? Are you saying price is the criteria for luxury?
No - what I'm saying is that brand isn't the sole criteria w/ regard to luxury products.

Once again, luxury product and luxury brand don't always coincide.

Is an A Class Mercedes a luxury vehicle just b/c it's a Mercedes? Of course not. It may belong to a luxury brand, but it, in itself, is not a luxury product.

Was the Toyota Celsior not a luxury product since it was merely a Toyota?

And my point about the diamond necklace is that a diamond necklace of certain quality is still a luxury product whether one buys it at Tiffany's/Cartier or Costco.

OK - you got me, Costco doesn't sell a $30k diamond necklace.

The necklace I had in mind is diamond and sapphire and retails for $35k.

And oh, Costco also has a $60k pearl necklace and an $83k ring.

Last edited by YEH; 02-23-09 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 11:41 PM
YEH
Pole Position

edit: It's probably also why MB doesn't release their Euro econo boxes over here as well for fear of ruining their brand image.
So - does that mean Mercedes in much of the rest of the world (including Canada which sells the B Class) is not a luxury make and is only so in the US? lol

The grill- derivative is putting it nicely, seriously now, just LOOK at it. The LS and GS grills don't even come close to looking like the cars they were "derived" from like the genesis.
Uhh, take a look at some of the older LS grilles - and the LS430 was very reminiscent of the S Class (esp. the roofline/greenhouse/C pillar).

And yeah, the GS grilles w/ vertical slants is really "original".

As for the gensis coupe, its a cookie cutter cutout.
Of what? The G35.

Does that mean the G35 is a cutout of the Tiburon?
Old 02-23-09, 07:33 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

You win I can't argue with you anymore. You got me, I had no clue at all that costco sold such expensive jewelery, in my defense I don't go to costco, nor would I check out the jewelery section there if I did. I'm not sure who would actually buy such an expensive piece of jewelery from them, but you're right they actually do carry items that expensive.

As for everything else we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
Old 02-23-09, 08:52 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You win I can't argue with you anymore. You got me, I had no clue at all that costco sold such expensive jewelery, in my defense I don't go to costco, nor would I check out the jewelery section there if I did. I'm not sure who would actually buy such an expensive piece of jewelery from them, but you're right they actually do carry items that expensive.

As for everything else we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
Interesting arguments...
I was at costco yesterday and looked at jewelry section. They had 60K diamond necklace.

Hyundai is NOT a luxury brand but Genesis is a luxury car and I wouldn't call it an econobox from Hyundai. You can't compare genesis to say Camry/Accord. Better comparison is with Lexus ES/GS/even LS... just much cheaper than other 'luxury' brands. I don't think any other car has Lexison sound system other than Rolls Royce.