Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rosso Corsa : Italian racing red

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Rosso Corsa : Italian racing red

International racing is a very nationalistic enterprise, with European nations struggling to establish supremacy not only based on the skills of their drivers, but also the industrial faculties of their carmakers. After World War I, the governing body of the sport wanted to implement global standards to make the game more accessible to spectators. As such, each country was given their own color to paint their racers. England was a Kelly green, France a blue, Germany white or silver, and Italy, home of the hot-blooded Ferrari, was a bold red. That red, called the rosso corsa, quickly became a trademark not just of Ferrari but also of Alfa Romeo and Maserati.
To be given the right to paint your car in the rosso corsa, the team that sponsors the car must hail from the represented country, no matter where the actual car itself was built. In the early days of Formula 1 racing, those were usually one and the same, but as the globalization of sponsorship and team composition evolved, the cars became more variegated in color. In modern racing, the color scheme of most cars is determined by the sponsor's wishes, not the desires of the team or the driver. But one company has steadfastly clung to the old ways, making sure that every racer they field is clad in the rosso corsa: Ferrari. No matter how advanced their cars get, or who is paying the bills for them, every new Ferrari model that hits the show floor is painted in that trademark red, proudly announcing its 80-year heritage.
Attached Thumbnails Rosso Corsa : Italian racing red-dsc03298.jpg  
Old 02-11-09, 09:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Famous Ferrari red
Attached Thumbnails Rosso Corsa : Italian racing red-rossa-corsa.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 03:16 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly they sold out when the Formula 1 team changed from Ferrari red to Marlboro red a few years ago. Something about the Ferrari Rosso Corsa not being the right shade to match in with Marlboro's marketing materials. I do hope that, one day, they go back to Rosso Corsa because it's a much deeper red and has so much history.

The Scuderia moved away from their tradtional colour when Marlboro came on board in 1996, along with Michael Schumacher et al, and the red was brightened up a bit. Although Malrboro are only into the second year of a five year deal, it was hoped that Ferrari might return to their original fighting paint - Ferrari red. But, Marlboro are keeping part of their logo on the car. In order to circumnavigate the new rules, Marlboro will display the bar code on the engine cover - just as they did at races that had already banned cigarette advertising. And apparently, in a hope to add even more of a subliminal message, the red is moving even further away from Ferrari red and closer to Marlboro red. In other words, even brighter.

I was personally hoping the car would return to its traditional colours, but I guess Ferrari need the money, despite allegedly not paying Kimi Raikkonen as much as Michael Schumacher. Also sponsoring the team for 2007 will be Mubadala Abu Dhabi. an arab company owned by the government of Abu Dhabi. The company recently purchased a 5% stake on the Ferrari company for $138m, and will now appear on the team caps and on the car as well.
http://blogf1.co.uk/2007/01/13/ferra...-marlboro-red/

Last edited by Big Andy; 02-12-09 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:14 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info guys. Both posts were very informative.
Old 02-12-09, 07:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe that's why Ducati likes red too...

Old 02-12-09, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The red is historically an Italian racing color