Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 07:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One would think the Venza was the second coming of Jesus browsing the intro thread Pointless, useless are the words being uttered by those who do not fit the target audience of this vehicle (watch the vid I posted in the baby X6 thread for reference).

The same argument can be made about the development of the Venza when Toyota has the Rav4, Highlander, Matrix... What is its purpose? (different thread I know) What is different here?

Anywho, more pics

Old 02-13-09, 07:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
I know that this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions but EVERY thread I read with your posts in it you're praising VW and mentioning how German's innovated things first. You realize this is a Lexus forum? You're borderline baiting everyone who's a Lexus owner or Toyota owner.
Unfortunately you are correct. He throws in a jab at every point possible even when it is completely off topic and has no relevance. He habitually stops short of negatively addressing individuals but prefers to address Toyota/Lexus owners as a group, therefore avoiding any kind of moderator action for a "personal attack". We all have our differences but as a whole I really enjoy the sense of community and respect that is present on Club Lexus, and having a member who is relentlessly tongue-in-cheek instigating almost everyone who posts on this forum seems to have gone largely without moderator recognition. Not sure why.

Back to the topic at hand, it is weird to see BMW trying to attack the SUV/CUV/SAV from so many angles. Most companies would have stopped at the X5 and X3, but their non-sedan/coupe lineup (as I am going to start calling it because I have no idea what these things are called anymore) seems quite saturated. As I said above they now have the 3 Series wagon, X3, 5 Series wagon, X5, X6, and this new concept all within just a few cubic feet of eachother serving essentially the same purpose.

As far as the Venza comment, each person is entitled to their own opinion but many different brand-dedicated forums all seem to agree that the Venza is a great looking vehicle. This BMW seems to be getting a lukewarm reaction at best. Even most of the BMW forums are saying, "Well...I like the front end!"
Old 02-13-09, 07:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The same argument can be made about the development of the Venza when Toyota has the Rav4, Highlander, Matrix... What is its purpose? (different thread I know) What is different here?
I think the difference is that Toyota doesn't offer a Camry or Corolla wagon, or a "SAV Coupe". BMW already offers three car-like wagons in the 3 and 5 wagons and X6. X3 and X5 are a bit more SUV-ish.

The only Toyota that comes close to the Venza is the Matrix which, IMO, is completely awful.

All in all, both companies probably have too many SUVs, SAVs, CUVs, SAV Coupes, MAVs, etc. Maybe they both know something we don't
Old 02-13-09, 08:09 AM
LexFather

No, the Venza is not the 2nd coming and we didn't state that. Also the "Ring" references are so 1980s at this point. No one even mentioned the ring until it became an internet ***** reference as of late. Do you HONESTLY THINK this car will be at the track?

Its okay to say "You know what, this kind of sucks". A lot of us said that about the HS and the new RX.

Old 02-13-09, 08:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No, the Venza is not the 2nd coming and we didn't state that. Also the "Ring" references are so 1980s at this point. No one even mentioned the ring until it became an internet ***** reference as of late. Do you HONESTLY THINK this car will be at the track?

Its okay to say "You know what, this kind of sucks". A lot of us said that about the HS and the new RX.
Who was it that published an article titled something like, "Why The 'Ring has ruined the modern car."? You know what I am talking about?
Old 02-13-09, 08:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys please keep this topic on the vehicle being discussed and not on the people posting in the thread.
Old 02-13-09, 09:00 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to look at this this way, at least there are some more 'interesting' car designs out there.

Also, from those pix and I to understand that the trunk/hatch can open in two different ways?
Old 02-13-09, 09:28 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Were going to screw everyone this much
Old 02-13-09, 10:09 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Another 4-seater... Really BMW? Really? This 5-series GT thingy has "dealer lot queen" written all over it...

Oh by the way, the Venza looks way better than this POC and that's not even an argument.
Old 02-13-09, 10:25 AM
Koma

I take back my remark about the hatch. That's actually pretty cool having two openings. Looks like the seats fold too along with that middle section.
I can totally understand having more headroom and cargo room. The tails are probably the ugliest part, make the tails look more like the X5 tails and not all organic-wavey and it'd look much better. I'm beginning to understand why BMW made the X6, luxury with some utility and fun driving dynamics. That's why there's only 4 seats (middle seats always sucks anyway). Overall the design isn't ugly but why make two X6s? I feel that this competes with the X6, just one is higher off the ground than the other and maybe this is only RWD?
Old 02-13-09, 12:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The 5GT is definitely not made for the study hall set kids. What has been missing so far has been more of the story about this model. The pictures mentioned are basically the same ones as already posted.

BMW 5-series GT revealed
13 February 2009

These are the first pictures of the BMW Concept 5-series Gran Turismo, released by BMW, which will go into production later this year as the BMW 5-series GT.

The BMW Concept 5-series Gran Turismo is designed to be a cross between an SUV and an estate car with a sleeker, more car-like profile than an MPV. The BMW 5-series GT is taller and longer than a 5-series, and will form a third line for the 5-series range.

See the full gallery of pics of the BMW Concept 5-series Gran Turismo

It is aimed, according to BMW, at the kind of buyer who does not want or need a vehicle the size of a BMW X5 or X6, but requires something more distinctive than a conventional estate.

BMW’s new design boss, Adrian van Hooydonk, has said that part of the reason for its creation was a BMW study revealing an ageing customer base who find the traditional seating position of the BMW 5-series saloon too sporting but at the same time consider the elevated seating in the X6 too imposing.

“We discovered a group of BMW buyers we were failing to reach out to at a sales level,” said van Hooydonk. “We want to build a car to suit their everyday needs.”

So the BMW 5-Series GT has the same leg and knee room as a BMW 7-series, combined with a slightly raised seating position. And unlike the X6, headroom is not compromised by the car’s roofline – it’s a match for an X5.

The upper half of the body, the glasshouse, is very similar to the X6 and the lower half is heavily influenced by the new 7-series – the new 5-series will share the BMW GT’s lower styling and front end.

All four doors are frameless (the first time BMW has ever done this), which helps to cut the amount of metal visible and increase the area of glass. This lightens the look of the car and stops it from becoming too top-heavy.

At the rear the BMW 5-Series GT has very high boot deck, with a two-part hatch in the style of the Skoda Superb. The bottom half of the hatch opens like a saloon’s boot, or the whole thing can be opened like a conventional hatchback.

Inside there’s a bespoke cabin developed specifically for the BMW 5-series GT. The concept is a four-seater, but the production car will have five seats, losing the centre console in the rear that divides the seats.

Those rear seats fold, and slide forward and backward by 100mm. There is also a folding bulkhead behind the rear seats so they can be folded and the boot kept separate; BMW claims this partition also improves sound insulation.

Despite these neat details and the car’s overall size, luggage capacity with the seats up and fully back is less than a 5-series saloon, at 420 litres. Slide them forward and you get 570 litres, flip them down and it grows to 1650 litres, a match for a 5-series Touring.

The production version will stay faithful to the concept’s external styling and interior design. Underneath it will use 7-series-derived double wishbone suspension, with optional air suspension on higher-spec models. The 5-series GT will also get the 7-series’ four-wheel steering system.

Petrol engines include the 268bhp naturally aspirated straight six, along with a twin-turbo six putting out 322bhp, 20bhp more than the current unit thanks to new turbos.

Diesels will include the 232bhp and 282bhp 3.0-litre straight sixes. And the GT will be available with four-wheel drive and with ZF’s new eight-speed automatic gearbox, which will eventually be fitted with stop-start technology.

This Concept 5-series GT will be unveiled at the Geneva motor show next month, with production cars following in May.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/238160/

I have been reading about this vehicle for some time in the european press. The first thing that was surprising to them about this model was that it existed at all. Many mfrs, Lexus included, are making new models and replacing old models on a glacial time frame. Bimmer is about the only mfr that seems to be working on speeding that up. Considerably.

According to what I have read elsewhere, the 5GT is actually larger than a current 5 (because it is really built on the new 7 platform pieces) but not as large externally as the 7. It is taller than the 5 but nowhere near as any of the crossovers or sputes. The seating position is more upright due to the higher headroom. So does this sound like it is going to appeal to the CLS crowd? Nope.

I am one of those old farts with a big checkbook and a bunch of hardware in my back so yep, I am very, very interested in this thing. Do I think there is a big market for it? No. But it could be a surprisingly bigger seller than people think. When I get in a SWB LS or 7 or A8 I am always impressed by how little room there is inside, relative speaking, to the outside dimensions. I am not saying they are small but they aren't much different than my second gen GS. When you go LWB, of course the back seats are different. But the 5GT has about the right external size to appeal to me and I don't need to kid myself that I will ever carry more than four people. I am not crazy about hatchbacks but I will admit that they have an annoying habit of being really useful.

I also want performance, ride, and handling. I know crossovers and sputes have improved considerably but they just don't appeal to me. Maybe there won't be a great demand for these things and maybe they will sit on the dealer lots. But as Lexus stretches its new model intros to ten year cycles, I applaud bimmer for taking the risk. I just hope it makes it here, and soon, I am ready for something new. A 322 bhp 535GT looks awfully good to me.

Last edited by RON430; 02-13-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 12:49 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

This actually is not so bad to me now that I've sobered up a little bit. The interior is absolutely gorgeous and I see a great looking 5er underneath this concept. Even this concept itself is pretty nice, though the bubbly roof is regretful. The roofline should be pushed back more like the sketch.
Old 02-13-09, 12:57 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
I like to look at this this way, at least there are some more 'interesting' car designs out there.

Also, from those pix and I to understand that the trunk/hatch can open in two different ways?
Yes, from what I have read it has the two-way opening hatch as shown in the photos.
Old 02-13-09, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Problem is that in profile, this car does not look like Venza... it looks like Prius - large 5 door hatchback profile with steep front windshield.
Old 02-13-09, 03:19 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The other designer scares me too. Hold your kids hands...

You know one of the "old" appeals to me about BMW was it was manual shift anti-luxury car. It really appealed to my ***** side. These new thingie majigithinies really don't help image at all (with me).

To think the moniker "GT" was totally wasted on this BMW Prius. I think "GT" I think badass, cool, coupe, or just tough. Not this at all.

OMG the rear is disgusting

Quick Reply: BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)