Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 05:00 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate you die BMW
Old 02-13-09, 05:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the study hall set should be able to keep themselves giggling for weeks because the 5GT is to be out this fall and the 3GT will follow about six months later. Same concept, taller 3 with more room and more upright driving position than the standard 3 but no where near as tall as a spute or crossover.
Old 02-13-09, 05:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taller and more upright BMW's, no thanks.
Old 02-13-09, 05:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The Venza isn't the problem here.

Whatever these BMW/Aztec things are, they are going to end up stacking up in the back lot with the surplus X6's.
Old 02-13-09, 05:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

These are articles from December. Both from Autocar.

BMW 5-series hatch confirmed
31 December 2008

BMW is set to take a huge risk by pressing ahead with the launch of the Progressive Activity Sedan (PAS) executive hatchback, a ‘5-series GT’.

The controversial BMW PAS is due to be unveiled in late 2009. One senior company source has told Autocar that the 5-series GT is “one of the bravest designs ever signed off by BMW”. But insiders describe the car as a ‘modern grand tourer with a luxury cabin and interior flexibility’.

The BMW PAS expected to be priced between the BMW 5-series and BMW 7-series and pitched at drivers who like a higher driving position but are not keen on full-scale SUVs.

One source has suggested that BMW is aware of an ageing population who now find conventional saloons’ seat positions too low for comfort.

Those who have seen the 5-series GT in the metal describe the BMW PAS as more of a ‘tall 7-series hatchback than a low-rise X6’.

The car is based on the latest version of BMW’s large rear-drive platform, first seen under the recently launched BMW 7-series.

Although the precise dimensions are not yet known, the PAS is slightly longer than a 5-series saloon and just shorter than a 7-series. It also rides slightly higher on its wheels than a normal road car.

The car’s overall height is pitched almost exactly between a 5-series and an X6, with higher than normal seating positions.

Insiders say this layout allows the PAS to offer the same rear leg room as a new long-wheelbase 7-series. Despite the sloping roof line, head room is said to be more than adequate.

The cabin is based on the same flowing theme revealed in the new Z4, with a wide centre console. Sources say front passengers get a “relaxing, semi-raised position”.

Although the 5-series GT gets a lower body similar to that of a saloon, the roof line and rear hatch are pure X6.

The car’s front end has more of a ‘nose cone’ look, rather like the recently cancelled CS concept. It also gets frameless doors, though there are no plans for a convertible spin-off.

The gently sloping roof line curves into an X6-style ‘fastback’ tailgate. The rear of the car is also said to be like the X6, with a lip at the base of the hatch window and a flat rear panel underneath it, between the rear light clusters.

Sources say the tailgate works in a similar way to the Skoda Superb’s, either as a hatch or with a saloon-style boot lid. But in the BMW it’s the upright rear panel that flips up, offering a letter box-shaped opening.

No definitive details have emerged about the 5-series GT’s technical specification, but it’s thought most European models will get a 3.0-litre turbodiesel engine and most US cars will use a 3.0-litre turbocharged petrol.

And the 3 series that will follow:

BMW confirms 3-series hatch
02 January 2009

BMW chairman Norbert Reithofer has confirmed that the firm remains committed to launching a smaller, more affordable luxury crossover to accompany next year’s 5-series GT.

The new smaller BMW Progressive Activity Sedan (PAS) will be based on the facelifted 3-series, due in 2010. As such, it will further bolster the burgeoning ranks of models based on the 3-series platform, slotting into the line-up between the Touring and the next X3.

As with the 5-series-based BMW PAS, the 3-series crossover will come with rear-wheel drive as standard, but four-wheel drive will be offered as an option.

Designed to offer a slightly higher seating position than the BMW 3-series Touring, the five-seater should also adopt its larger sibling’s two-piece liftback for added versatility.

To help streamline production, the engines are likely to be drawn from the rest of the BMW 3-series range, with a future line-up of turbocharged four and six-cylinder petrol and diesel units mated to standard manual or optional dual-clutch gearboxes.

Earlier this year BMW stopped work on a project to develop a large SUV that would have given the firm a rival for the Range Rover. It blamed the collapse in SUV sales in North America for the decision.

BMW has also postponed plans for a future 8-series based on the CS concept, although there is a chance this car will still make production in the future.

When he was asked if the worldwide financial crisis had affected plans for the 3-series GT, Reithofer said, “We haven’t cancelled the development project for a crossover off the 3-series because it is considered a volume builder with which we can earn good money.”

BMW first rubber-stamped plans for the smaller PAS over 18 months ago, but a definitive production date has yet to be fixed. Reithofer has been studying proposals to build the new car at BMW’s Spartanburg factory in the US state of South Carolina, or the company’s Rosslyn plant in South Africa, the source of the majority of 3-series saloons sold in the UK.

The 3-series GT won’t go on sale until 2011. It should cost around £27,000 in the UK, at today’s prices.

Probably not for the study hall set. And maybe it won't do very well. But my wife is very interested in the 3GT and I am definitely interested in the 5GT. I think I first mentioned these in the Panamera thread and while I am sure that Porsche will sell all the Panamera's it makes, if they want to appeal to the older set, they should follow what bimmer is doing here. A 4 door 911 will be a wonderful car but not for me.
Old 02-13-09, 06:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

While I realize that I am in the minority in my like for the X6, I have been cross-shopping a few BMW products and have to say that this is probably the worst recent design I've seen out of them.

Many of their owners on their forums agree with several posters on this site....it seems that they have lost their focus and need to figure out who they are trying to be again. Everyone knows that they make great driving machines, but some of their recent designs are highly questionable.
Old 02-14-09, 06:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

One senior company source has told Autocar that the 5-series GT is “one of the bravest designs ever signed off by BMW”.

Put him on the layoff list that's surely being worked right now.
Old 02-14-09, 06:35 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Wow... it truely is just like a prius, but you have to admit prius is ugly.. just like a lunch box
Old 02-14-09, 10:45 PM
LexFather

I don't hate SUVs but its another excuse for either a silly idea or b/c of SUVs. The reasoning is "people want to sit higher b/c they can't see". Well thank the SUVs for that. Thank the fact cars each year get bigger and bigger where you can't see around them. Trunk lines are so high now you need to sit on telephone books to see around a 300C, let alone a Sequoia. The guy in the sports car or the dropped sedan is in even worse shape. So BMW figures, lets build our new generation of cars on tilts.

I am 100% with "Car" magazine in Europe where they lost the plot when the new "M" chief decided to not make a M3 CSL, cancel the 7 series M cars but go forward with the X5 and X6 M. They lost the plot for sales. Is it a good business decision? Not sure sure as reports of X6 sales are mixed. Seems pro X6 people claim its selling well while others point the exact opposite.

Its not a new idea either.

Its like a cross-over sedan?

Old 02-14-09, 11:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
One senior company source has told Autocar that the 5-series GT is “one of the bravest designs ever signed off by BMW”.

Put him on the layoff list that's surely being worked right now.
Bangle doesn't work for the company anymore....so when he makes comments like this it really no longer matters.

Originally Posted by Gytis123
Wow... it truely is just like a prius, but you have to admit prius is ugly.. just like a lunch box
I saw one this afternoon (don't see many in the snowy mountains...lol), and completely agree with you. The concept is great, but really, come on, they could have come up with a better looking car.
Old 02-14-09, 11:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"One source has suggested that BMW is aware of an ageing population who now find conventional saloons’ seat positions too low for comfort."

That's some marketing strategy, lol. Just how fat, unfit, inflexible, do they think people are (in the US I assume, no hope in European market)...
Old 02-15-09, 12:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldnt put it past them. They created the X6 for gods sake
Old 02-15-09, 12:56 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wouldnt put it past them. They created the X6 for gods sake
I still don't understand why this is the prevailing opinion on CL?

I've seen a couple new ones this week, after driving it the week previous.
Imo, it is a beautiful vehicle and drives unlike any SUV I'v been in. It is luxurious and fun to drive.

It may be pointless as far as an offroader or heavy duty hauler, but for those that need an SUV due to weather/road conditions there aren't many that drive better than the X6.

Again, I guess this is why they don't make just one model of each vehicle segment.
Old 02-15-09, 06:01 AM
Emarati_K
Lead Lap

BMW is not going to look good since the release of the all new 750i series which looks like LS from the back...
Old 02-15-09, 08:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Taller and more upright BMW's, no thanks.
Your right.. They drive terrible & no one would dare take a taller more upright BMW to the track.. Useless, slow vehicles.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVl9wUEhkjs

Quick Reply: BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)