Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 11:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never, EVER has the Mercedes R class looked so drop-dead-gorgeous. Additionally, the designers of the Pontiac Aztek have got to be giving themselves a pat on the back right now...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 05-22-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Though I have to give credit where it's due, and admit that this interior is absolutely beautiful. As Lexus removes almost all the wood from their interiors, BMW is adding it beautifully.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 05-22-09 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:42 AM
LexFather

http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/publis..._Turismo.shtml

When you first hear the name "5 Series Gran Turismo," you might assume BMW ihas set out to mimic Mercedes with a sleek, coupe-like 5 Series sedan. But you'd be wrong. Instead of an impractical low-slung, four-door 2+2, the 2010 550i GT will be more of a fast-back station wagon when it arrives here before the end of this year. Except that it's not really a station wagon either, because BMW already makes an excellent 5 Series wagon (for now). No, the 5er GT is yet another effort by BMW to bend the rules that define vehicle classification, as it first did with the original X5 in 1999 (creating the Sport Activity Vehicle class) and more recently with the X6 (a four-door Sport Activity "Coupe").

What defines a Gran Turismo? The term has been used for decades to describe cars that combine performance, style and luxury. In some ways, those qualities seem to define the very essence of BMW anyway, so how will the 5 Series GT be different?

Performance
While the 5 Series GT will likely be offered with a variety of engine options for different markets, the US will initially get just one model, the 550i GT. Power will come from a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 that makes 400 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. The engine uses BMW's reverse-flow technology, which mounts the intake plumbing underneath and outside, while the turbochargers and exhaust plumbing sit in the valley between the cylinder heads. High-precision direct injection is employed, using piezo-electric injectors for the most precise delivery of fueling.

The same engine powers the new 750i, but in the GT it will be mated to an all-new 8-speed automatic transmission. Drive is to the rear wheels for now, but an all-wheel-drive variant is expected in the future. The combination ensures dynamic performance, with the 4938-pound 550i GT able to sprint to 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds.
On the handling front, BMW will integrate a number of recent technologies from the new X5, X6 and all-new 7 Series. Aluminum will play a major role in both front and rear suspension components. Integral active steering will provide an infinitely-variable steering ratio for the front wheels, and will also allow the rear wheels to be steered up to three degrees for better high-speed stability and improved maneuverability at low speeds. Standard wheels will measure 18 inches in diameter, with options for 19- and 20-inch wheels also available.

Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) will help the big sedan handle like a much smaller vehicle. With its offerings of Normal, Sport and Sport+, DDC tailors the throttle response, shifting parameters, damper firmness, steering assist and traction control modes to the driver's demands, ensuring a smooth ride in normal mode and the ability to engage a more sport attitude at the push of a button. Active roll stabilization promises to keep body roll in check for flat, sport sedan-like handling.

Style
It is said in the fashion world that there is fashion and then there is style, the former being more ephemeral and the latter being more permanent. The styling of the 5 Series GT, like that of the X6 that preceded it, will combine very of-the-moment lines with very timeless details. The silhouette is that of a fastback wagon, which, depending on personal perspective, is either very cool or kind of corny.

A key feature of the 5 Series GT will be its "bi-modal" rear hatch, which allows the owner to open either a small, trunk-like opening for placing groceries or similar small items, or the full hatchback opening for larger items such as luggage or much larger packages. The main structure of this rear hatch is crafted of lightweight aluminum for easy handling, though a power open-and-close feature will also be offered as an option.

The body shape is heavily contoured and largely crafted of aluminum (hood and doors) at great engineering expense. A classic coupe element is the absence of frames on the windows; the 5er GT will be the first four-door BMW to feature frameless door windows, lending a more open feel to the cabin. The standard dual-panel panoramic roof adds to the airiness. Leather seating and wood trim are standard as well, as are ceramic controls for the shifter, the iDrive controller and the audio and climate controls. BMW's Black Panel technology, which arrived first on the new 7 Series, will also be featured on the 5er GT for a clean, uncluttered look at the instrument panel.

Luxury
As one would expect of a lifestyle-oriented 5 Series derivative, the 550i GT promises to deliver first-class accommodations, particularly for the rear seat occupants. A key attribute of luxury is personal space, and the rear of the 5 Series GT offers legroom comparable to the 7 Series with headroom comparable to the X5. The rear compartment of the Gran Turismo will allow passengers the ability to adjust their seats to more personal settings. The three-passenger rear seat, divided in a 40-20-40 pattern, can be adjusted fore and aft up to 3.9 inches while rear backrest can be tweaked between 15 and 33 degrees of recline, depending on the bottom cushion's position.

An optional luxury rear seating package will replace the middle position with a a center console with cupholders and storage and will allow individual seat adjustment with a broader reclining range of 15 to 40 degrees. Power rear-seat folding will also be included with the package.

A variable partition between the rear seats and the cargo area will provide a more sedan-like climate and offer additional noise insulation from the trunk area.

The 550i GT will also be packed with electronic accessories, including standard dynamic cruise control, auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors, park distance control and xenon headlights.

The 550i will make its official market introduction at the 2009 Frankfurt International Auto Show in September and will go on sale in the US in the fourth quarter of the year as a 2010 model. Prices will be announced nearer to the launch, but base pricing is expected in the mid- to upper-$60k range. An all-wheel-drive model will likely bow in the summer of 2010, and another engine, an all-new turbo six-cylinder, will likely be added as well

Old 05-22-09, 11:48 AM
mallik727
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW is going down a hole! The X6 looks nice but is impractical. The X1 has no point and these new GT cars are retarded.
Old 05-22-09, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Old 05-22-09, 12:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I honestly predict this failing HARD in America, for two main reasons.

1) Between the 5 series sedan, 5 series wagon, X3, X5, and X6, there is simply NO reason to buy the 5GT. The sedans/wagons will obviously drive better, weigh less, and be more fuel efficient, while the X3 and X5 offer more utility with the same or greater amounts space, and the X6 is already the "non functional, 'fun'" spinoff. This really leaves no rhyme or reason to buy the 5GT, not to mention that it's uglier than all of them.

2) The recovering economy will probably not create or sustain much demand for a vehicle that really doesn't do anything that the ones mentioned above can't already do.

Maybe Sean can shed some more light on where this will fit into the lineup...
Old 05-22-09, 08:38 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus is not the only one failing these days, check out BMW

BMW 5 Series GT In Depth

Now we get the official release with full details on the upcoming BMW 5-series Gran Turismo.

We've already seen much of the design characteristics of the GT, such as the movable rear seats which can provide the legroom of a 7-series or be adjusted forward for more luggage space (to a maximum capacity of 1,700 liters) under the rear hatch with a small trap door for easy access to the trunk.

What we want to know is what is coming under the hood.

Well, BMW has announced 3 different engine variants to start with. The 3.0 liter turbo-diesel is what BMW is using to sell the GT's fuel economy and ecological credentials. The 530d Gran Turismo, with 245 hp and 540 Nm of torque, comes with a fuel consumption rating of only 6.5 liters/100 km and a CO2 emissions rating of 173 g/km.

Okay, settled that issue. Now for the fun stuff.

On the more muscular side come the 535i and the 550i variants. The 535i comes with BMW's new straight-six gasoline/petrol engine, a 3.0 liter 6-cylinder TwinPower turbo with 306 hp and 400 Nm of torque. The 550i will feature BMW's powerhouse 4.4 liter, twin-turbo V8 gasoline/petrol power plant with 407 hp and 600 Nm of road-grinding torque.

BMW has confirmed that the Gran Turismo will come with its new 8-speed automatic transmission, so far only featured in the 760i 12-cylinder variant, which will provide nothing but smooth, effortless transitions between gears, no doubt.

The GT's suspension is made mostly of aluminum, with BMW's unique Integral-V rear axle and a double track control arm for the front. Dynamic Drive Control is standard which, along with the optional Adaptive Drive, works with the air suspension at the back and the infinitely variable dampers to assure the most black-bear-climbing-a-tree-like traction and control.

Available on the GT will also be BMW's usual range of technologically marveling bells and whistles, including such greatest hits as the iDrive with a 10.2 inch screen display, BMW ConnectDrive, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, side, back and top view camera, just in case you want to turn your driving into a new style of filmmaking, and lots of other little items you will nod your head at in a gesture of impressed approval, brag to your friends about, but never really learn how to use.

See the 9 page press release below for full details. Photo album with 65 high-res images click here.
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-5261884.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 08:40 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

more pix..
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-7218787.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 08:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I just wanted to say that if Lexus had ever produced something this painful to look at and this pointless, all of the German fanboys would be laughing until the cows came home, pointing fingers and falling back in their chairs.

However because its a BMW it's unique and innovative and sporty.

Old 05-22-09, 08:48 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

barf.........
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-7267927.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 08:49 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew it. The ghost of the deceased Aztek is still lurking around on this planet.
Old 05-22-09, 08:52 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

try and guess which is the 5 GT and the X6...
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-3071216.001_1030super2.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 08:53 PM
mallik727
Driver School Candidate

I don't really like it at all.
Old 05-22-09, 08:53 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

hummmm....
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-3610991.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 08:54 PM
mallik727
Driver School Candidate

I like the X6 and its design but the 5 series GT is pushing it.

Quick Reply: BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)