Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 08:58 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hideous........
Attached Thumbnails BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)-2010-lexus-hs-250h-dedicated-hybrid-at-2009-naias_3.jpg  
Old 05-22-09, 10:29 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow Post #4's pic is really just horrifying
Old 05-22-09, 10:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Hideous.......

wut!!

i paid $30,000 for that?!!

looks like a cheap econocar
Old 05-22-09, 11:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

damn!!! the things designers will try for rear seat head room.

The 5 series GT.... perfect if your two sons are NBA players.

I think, like the X6, this thing is going to fall on its face
Old 05-22-09, 11:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

barf.........
Wow. BMW just takes the concept of "answer to a question nobody asked" to a whole new level.

I can actually think of some use for the X6, but this 5 GT is just completely different. Horrible practicality *combined* with ugly design. That is a double fail right there. At least the X6 has a somewhat decent design.
Old 05-22-09, 11:57 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The X6 is pretty good .... but they just ruined the 5 series....
Old 05-23-09, 12:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to keep the X6's company as they collect dust on the back of the BMW car lot.
Old 05-23-09, 12:46 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

an answer to a question no one asked.
Old 05-23-09, 03:33 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

i really don't see the point of this line up..
Old 05-23-09, 10:03 AM
LexFather

1. Nice thread title. Explain how Lexus is falling?
2. There is already a huge thread on this..merged

Old 05-23-09, 12:44 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

It seems to me BMW has many vehicles redundant....X6, X5, 5 GT, 5 Wagon? And please don't tell me this is the next generation 5-series's front end.....very ugly.
Old 05-23-09, 02:09 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW 5 Series GT In Depth

Now we get the official release with full details on the upcoming BMW 5-series Gran Turismo.

We've already seen much of the design characteristics of the GT, such as the movable rear seats which can provide the legroom of a 7-series or be adjusted forward for more luggage space (to a maximum capacity of 1,700 liters) under the rear hatch with a small trap door for easy access to the trunk.

What we want to know is what is coming under the hood.

Well, BMW has announced 3 different engine variants to start with. The 3.0 liter turbo-diesel is what BMW is using to sell the GT's fuel economy and ecological credentials. The 530d Gran Turismo, with 245 hp and 540 Nm of torque, comes with a fuel consumption rating of only 6.5 liters/100 km and a CO2 emissions rating of 173 g/km.

Okay, settled that issue. Now for the fun stuff.

On the more muscular side come the 535i and the 550i variants. The 535i comes with BMW's new straight-six gasoline/petrol engine, a 3.0 liter 6-cylinder TwinPower turbo with 306 hp and 400 Nm of torque. The 550i will feature BMW's powerhouse 4.4 liter, twin-turbo V8 gasoline/petrol power plant with 407 hp and 600 Nm of road-grinding torque.

BMW has confirmed that the Gran Turismo will come with its new 8-speed automatic transmission, so far only featured in the 760i 12-cylinder variant, which will provide nothing but smooth, effortless transitions between gears, no doubt.

The GT's suspension is made mostly of aluminum, with BMW's unique Integral-V rear axle and a double track control arm for the front. Dynamic Drive Control is standard which, along with the optional Adaptive Drive, works with the air suspension at the back and the infinitely variable dampers to assure the most black-bear-climbing-a-tree-like traction and control.

Available on the GT will also be BMW's usual range of technologically marveling bells and whistles, including such greatest hits as the iDrive with a 10.2 inch screen display, BMW ConnectDrive, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, side, back and top view camera, just in case you want to turn your driving into a new style of filmmaking, and lots of other little items you will nod your head at in a gesture of impressed approval, brag to your friends about, but never really learn how to use.

See the 9 page press release below for full details. Photo album with 65 high-res images click here.
I must say, that is one of the more flattering images of the 5GT.
Old 05-23-09, 05:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
It seems to me BMW has many vehicles redundant....X6, X5, 5 GT, 5 Wagon? And please don't tell me this is the next generation 5-series's front end.....very ugly.

fortunately, the 5 sedan won't have this ugly front end.
This is based on the plastic bumper they found in a dumpster...
Old 06-07-09, 08:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in NYC for the last few days and much to my surprise, I saw an unmarked 5 Series GT on 34th yesterday.

I was on the sidewalk beside a tour bus so I couldn't see much, but heading toward me from a distance I saw the trademark BMW angel eyes but these were HID/bright white as opposed to the off white/bright yellow of most of them. Because of this the car caught my eye and I watched as it approached- my first thought was that it was a new 7 but I have seen a few of those and they did not have headlights like this.

Since I was standing beside a tour bus I didn't get a prolonged look, but rather saw the front as it approached me and the back as it drove passed and I turned to look. I was shocked when I saw the back end and noticed that it was a de-badged 5 GT.

My overall impression is that the car is better looking in person, though this one was black with a deep tint and very large wheels. The front end is nice looking and I like the new xenon angel eyes- they look good. The side profile essentially looks like a fat X6 with less ground clearance. It's not particularly attractive, but not as bad as some of the pictures that I have seen. I am thinking that the black paint and massive wheels will do wonders for this car.

After seeing one I don't think that it is as ugly as before, but the rear end still looks pretty awkward and much like the X6 I think people will be saying, "Where were they going with this ?"

Before seeing one in person I would have given it probably 1 or 2 stars out of ten. After seeing it I would give it a 3 or 4/10.
Old 06-07-09, 11:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My overall impression is that the car is better looking in person, though this one was black with a deep tint and very large wheels. The front end is nice looking and I like the new xenon angel eyes- they look good. The side profile essentially looks like a fat X6 with less ground clearance. It's not particularly attractive, but not as bad as some of the pictures that I have seen. I am thinking that the black paint and massive wheels will do wonders for this car.

Before seeing one in person I would have given it probably 1 or 2 stars out of ten. After seeing it I would give it a 3 or 4/10.
1. black paint is cheating. it will make a pontiac asstek look 10x better.

2. "in person" means standing 5 ft away from the car? so that you don't see the whole ugly at once?

here's a black asstek looking like a Merc M class: This is your "in person" view.

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-07-09 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: BMW builds a Prius but they call it the 5 series GT (updated pics)