Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Test Driver Dies on Autobahn Testing Pre-Production 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 01:27 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
My question is why would they have a guard rail that would allow a car to get into that postion? Surely they must know that there are a lot o low profile cars using the autobahn? If the guard rail was right down to the ground he may have just bounced off the rail and maybe survived.

Anyway, anyone losing a life is tragic.
The real question is why did Porsche made the car so low with such a weak A pillar? The guard rails are designed for normal cars if it sits any lower cars and suv hitting it will become air born and fly off into the air.
Old 02-14-09, 02:20 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor guy, RIP.
Old 02-14-09, 02:27 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
The real question is why did Porsche made the car so low with such a weak A pillar? The guard rails are designed for normal cars if it sits any lower cars and suv hitting it will become air born and fly off into the air.
Read my post again, I said if the rail was to go right down to the ground it would cover both the taller cars and the lower cars. No where in my post did I say the rail should be lowered.

And porsche making a weak A piller??? That is a first for me, b/c if you think a piece of metal that thin could withstand the momentum of that car than I think you need to go back to school. Only maybe a roll cage could have prevented this in regards to the car safety.
Old 02-14-09, 05:03 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I'm pretty sure Walter Rorhl is in his 60's
haha ur right.

RIP to whoever he is =/
Old 02-14-09, 05:00 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Default no need to get your panties in a bunch.

And porsche making a weak A piller??? That is a first for me, b/c if you think a piece of metal that thin could withstand the momentum of that car than I think you need to go back to school. Only maybe a roll cage could have prevented this in regards to the car safety.
So tell me mr. school teacher if you think differently about the pillars being weak how much crushing resistance can a Porsche A, B and C pillar take before bending? Granted that a Porsche structre is much stronger than most sports cars' but it is far from being "strong". Look at the picture again and you'll see all 4 yes all 4 pillars are completely gone if at least 2 of them held up the car would have just bounce off the rails (yes bounce off - it doesn't have to stop the entire cars momentum) instead of crushing the passenger inside.

And No it doesn't have to have a roll cage to stop that kind of momentum.

Last edited by Stormwind; 02-14-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 12:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The cars are not supposed to be able to get under the gaurd rail. It defeats the purpose if you decapitate drivers
Old 02-15-09, 02:37 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

So tell me mr. school teacher if you think differently about the pillars being weak how much crushing resistance can a Porsche A, B and C pillar take before bending? Granted that a Porsche structre is much stronger than most sports cars' but it is far from being "strong". Look at the picture again and you'll see all 4 yes all 4 pillars are completely gone if at least 2 of them held up the car would have just bounce off the rails (yes bounce off - it doesn't have to stop the entire cars momentum) instead of crushing the passenger inside.

Even a roll cage could not withstand 200+ mph hit like that
Old 02-15-09, 04:26 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Sorry I am no school teacher so you will just have to go back to school an learn this kind of stuff for yourself.
Hmmm.. Sounds like someone failed at physics miserably...
So does bounce off "yes bounce off" means that all 4 pillars need to first withstand the momentum of the car before they can "yes bounce off" the guard rail. Do your homework before you make yourself look like a fool.
Old 02-15-09, 04:44 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Even at 80mph+ the humane body can't survive going from 80mph+ to 0mph, the organs will crush!
Old 02-15-09, 10:57 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Sorry I am no school teacher so you will just have to go back to school an learn this kind of stuff for yourself.
Hmmm.. Sounds like someone failed at physics miserably...
blah blah blah, fail to provide any real information. Sounds like somebody has no idea what they are talking about.

So does bounce off "yes bounce off" means that all 4 pillars need to first withstand the momentum of the car before they can "yes bounce off" the guard rail.
Ok I guess I'll take you to school. It would only take 2 pillars, in this 911 it will take it's A pillar and it's roll bar. Cabriolet means convertable there are no 4 pillars only 2 up front and roll bars in the back...got it? (Better sit down and start taking notes.) Only 1 side needs to take a hit for it to happen.

Ever watch racing events like Indy cars, nascars running the oval? Ever noticed what happens when the cars crash into the barrier at 198 Mph? Yeah they bounce off. (Are you taking notes yet?) Why? because the barriers are designed to be energy absorbing like the guard rails in Germany and the cars are designed to take advantage of that so the drivers can surive it and walk away. (You better sit down and start writing)

Why do they bounce off instead of coming to a complete stop? Because the road is straight the guard rails are to the side you don't come to a complete stop when you hit it you will likely bounce off it and keep going straight spinning, unless your car are not designed well and goes under. (Got all that? Need more paper?)

Do your homework before you make yourself look like a fool.
Sounds like a red faced, clueless individual backed into a corner like a dog with no idea of what he is talking about so he has to resort to insults.

Last edited by Stormwind; 02-15-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-15-09, 11:03 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by valgs350
Even at 80mph+ the humane body can't survive going from 80mph+ to 0mph, the organs will crush!
It's unlikely that Porsche went 80 to zero right off the bat since the picture shows both side of the car suffer damage it is very likey the car spun off hitting the guard rails a few times before stopping. sad really.
Old 02-15-09, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

grow up guys, either two of you take it to pm or time to move on. if i see anything close to personal attack again, someone will get a vacation
Old 02-15-09, 02:20 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blah blah blah, fail to provide any real information. Sounds like somebody has no idea what they are talking about.

Ok I guess I'll take you to school. It would only take 2 pillars, in this 911 it will take it's A pillar and it's roll bar. Cabriolet means convertable there are no 4 pillars only 2 up front and roll bars in the back...got it? (Better sit down and start taking notes.) Only 1 side needs to take a hit for it to happen.

Ever watch racing events like Indy cars, nascars running the oval? Ever noticed what happens when the cars crash into the barrier at 198 Mph? Yeah they bounce off. (Are you taking notes yet?) Why? because the barriers are designed to be energy absorbing like the guard rails in Germany and the cars are designed to take advantage of that so the drivers can surive it and walk away. (You better sit down and start writing)

Why do they bounce off instead of coming to a complete stop? Because the road is straight the guard rails are to the side you don't come to a complete stop when you hit it you will likely bounce off it and keep going straight spinning, unless your car are not designed well and goes under. (Got all that? Need more paper?)

Sounds like a red faced, clueless individual backed into a corner like a dog with no idea of what he is talking about so he has to resort to insults.

Wow.

Now, lets look at reality.

The Porsche design is very aerodynamic, like a wedge.

What do wedges do? Say, a wood splitting wedge.

It takes a piece of wood, and splits it, in half.

Take this guard rail. It has a space, under it. You see that space?

Now take the Porsche wedge shaped vehicle, and stuff it, at 80-100 mph, into the space between the rail and the ground. What is going to happen?

IT IS GOING TO SPLIT THE SPACE BETWEEN THE RAIL AND THE GROUND.

Exactly what happened.

If it were a concrete barrier, the car would have bounced off, or if the car were not so aerodynamic, the outcome would have been different.
Old 02-15-09, 02:30 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
grow up guys, either two of you take it to pm or time to move on. if i see anything close to personal attack again, someone will get a vacation
Fair enough. I appologize.
Old 02-15-09, 08:03 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I agree. Until there's a better explanation, didn't those civil engineers put some thought into it???

RIP to the driver.
If a gaurd rail was closeto the ground, dont you think a supercar doing 100+mph would fly right over it?

EDIT: NVM, Im stoopid, you didnt say lower it, you said make it wider. LOL like 3 feet tall from the ground up instead of 6in tall 2 ft off the ground, got ya.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-15-09 at 08:09 PM.