Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen GS should roll out two versions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 11:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Well, the 4GS should at least be two years away(current one launched Feb.2005), & given their usual "secrecy", we won't learnt anything about the next generation GS for a while yet ...
The designing and engineering for the 4GS are in high gear by now.

Hopefully, they hear our cries...
Old 02-13-09, 11:19 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
are you from Bearing point working for toyota or something? lol.

I think the two version in Japan worked b/c to own a "Crown" is a status thing in Japan and Toyota wanted an image makeover of the Crown. Hence the two versions; they go keep their older people and chauffeurs (at least it was in tokyo) to buy the Royal and they successfully appealed to the younger crowd to buy the Athlete. A GS doesn't have that status symbol image like it does in Japan.

Not quite sure what the target market of the current GS is but unless they are specifically trying to reach more demographics like the Crown is, I see no point.
GS needs to compete with BMW 5 and E haed to head.

this generation appeals a smaller population.
that's the point.
Old 02-13-09, 11:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"Sport".... "Grand Sport" should be the goal of the 4th gen GS. This needs to be spelled out on the chalk board at the next Lexus big wig board meeting in Torrence Ca..
Old 02-13-09, 11:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes, they need to make the next GS as sporty as they can, otherwise, there won't be enough differentiation between the car from the similar size ES.
Let those who want a comfy, relaxed ride choose the ES, & make the new GS a serious sports sedan, even in non-F form.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-13-09 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-13-09, 11:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 trim lines is a concept that Mercedes is using successfully with the new C-class in the US:

Sport (AMG lower body kit, star on grill, no hood ornament, slightly lowered and firmer suspension, staggered wheels, etc.)

Luxury (standup hood ornament, different grill, boring wheels, etc.)
Old 02-13-09, 11:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Here, I see the C-class in Sports vs. Luxury ratio of at least 4:1, seems like most people choose Sports ...
Old 02-13-09, 11:59 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

When I saw the thread title for the GS with two versions I immediately thought that the current GS already has two versions, the GS 350 and the GS 460. Hopefully the 4G GS will keep the GS 350 and the GS 460 and hopefully we'll get the GS F...let's wait and see what Lexus does...
Old 02-13-09, 12:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus simply needs to apply the IS formula to the 4GS, but in a more beefed up package.

IS offers a sport package- actually it has offered two: X Package and Sport suspension option. 4GS needs something similar but with bigger wheels, sway bars, stiffer shocks and springs, unique wheels, and maybe very minimal and tasteful body accents. This package should be available on both the 3X0 and 460, and even the standard suspension should be beefed up over what it is now.

At the bottom end, the ES is about the same size if not larger and makes for a compelling luxo cruiser, and same goes for the LS at the top end. So if you could spend a little less and get about the same equipment and ride in an ES, or a little more and get all of the features and prestige of an LS, would you not do it? Doh! Americans ARE doing it and the sales numbers reflect this month over month. The GS is not what people want in this segment and it's two biggest competitors are in-house. Lexus needs to distinguish this car BADLY, just like what they did with the IS and ES.

Bottom line...people aren't buying midsize luxury sedans to coast down sunset drive or to get sick to their stomach during any type of spirited driving. 5 Series and E class are both a testament to this- people want some feeling, some feedback, and some control. They want some EMOTION. The GS needs to draw something out of the driver like the competition does and it needs to be more sport focused. Period. I'm not saying that as an enthusiast, I am saying that as a consumer and someone who has spoken to several owners of E Classes, 5 Series, and Infiniti Ms who all say the GS was really not that soft, and really not that fun to drive either. It doesn't do anything particularly well and for that reason people are buying ES 350s, LS 460s, 5 Series, or E classes. GS makes too many compromises with too few rewards.

Lexus, get serious.

End Rant.
Old 02-13-09, 12:20 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to you guys, GS only needs to be a sporty car.
but Lexus may need it to compete with 5 and E worldwide in this class.
only has a sporty style will attract a smaller audience.

anyway, lexus should give us a very sexy, sporty looking car.
the front of current version is not aggressive enough, and the taillight is at least too bland.
Old 02-13-09, 12:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
to you guys, GS only needs to be a sporty car.
but Lexus may need it to compete with 5 and E worldwide in this class.
only has a sporty style will attract a smaller audience.

anyway, lexus should give us a very sexy, sporty looking car.
the front of current version is not aggressive enough, and the taillight is at least too bland.
The 5 Series and E Class are significantly sportier and more involving to drive than the GS, which is the problem. I worked in a Lexus dealership for almost a year and had the pleasure of talking to several GS owners and prospective buyers. With prospective buyers you always heard three things:

1) "The BMW and Mercedes just handle and feel so much better"
2) "My salesman offered me a great deal on an ES and showed me how much money I could save if I just got one of those so I drove both and don't see a reason to spend an extra $10,000 on the GS."
3) "My salesman showed me an LS 460 which is just a little more expensive and that is a whole different league of car. I think it would make sense to get the LS considering the minimal price difference."

Truthfully, most of the customers in my dealership who bought GSs were middle age to older people who were moving up out of older ESs and wanted to try something different, or older GS owners who had a very positive ownership experience and wanted another one. I recall ONE woman who had several problems with her Mercedes C class and traded it in on a GS.

The GS simply doesn't have the performance to significantly distinguish itself from the ES or LS, nor does it cater to people looking for a more sporting ride like the E or 5. So in effect, you have a car that is not that smooth (compared to ES and LS which are parked right next to the GS at XXX Lexus Dealership) but also not that sporty (E and 5).

So there the GS sits, collecting dust month after month. The ONLY GS model that is significantly sought out is the 450h, and that is for obvious reasons.
Old 02-13-09, 01:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Here, I see the C-class in Sports vs. Luxury ratio of at least 4:1, seems like most people choose Sports ...
Same here, mostly Sports by far in the lucrative Bay Area.

IMHO, Mercedes has done a nice job with the "Sport" version, and I'll bet Lexus execs are taking note.

The C-class Sport has the visible aggressive body work and mild suspension lowering to supplement the real hardware like firmer springs/shocks, staggered wheels, etc.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-13-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 02:41 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GS needs to compete with BMW 5 and E haed to head.

this generation appeals a smaller population.
that's the point.
with so many competitors in that segment now, going directly against the 5er and E won't differentiate the GS. Give it 3 pedals and forced induction
Old 02-13-09, 03:13 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Next Gen GS should roll out two versions
one royal saloon, one sporty.

as you may know, GS share the same platform with Crown (which is only sold in Japan and China).

they just released two versions of it.

one royal saloon, one athlete version.

take a look
I have always loved the Toyota Crown. Its too bad we do not get them in the US
Old 02-13-09, 06:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
with so many competitors in that segment now, going directly against the 5er and E won't differentiate the GS. Give it 3 pedals and forced induction
Good luck with that, plus the 5 series already have both anyway ...
Old 02-13-09, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Highly unlikely.

Right now, LF-A production has a higher probability than that of a manual IS350...

Don't forget that those cars are designed for the Asian market, not for the U.S. nor European markets, which desire a completely different style...
I guess its to tasteful. Needs giant emblems, chrome gills, ugly design and a different badge. THen the caption would be OMG "Greatest thing since bar-b-que-ribs"

Quick Reply: Next Gen GS should roll out two versions