Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen GS should roll out two versions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 11:46 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, any time I think about the line up of cars (just the sedans) for Lexus long enough it gets all fuzzy.

LS - clearly the top end, big deal car
IS - entry level aimed at the kids (like the parents-bought-you-a-car kinds of kids)

but then you come to the ES and GS ...

ES - luxury seriously non-sporting sedan, but is it entry level or mid level? I see this car for the middle aged non-car-enthusiast people. Same guy that would buy a Camry but has more money (low and behold, they kinda look the same too, so I'm sure that doesn't help too much)
GS - it's supposed to be sportier rite? but is it a sporty ES? or just a bigger deal IS ... oa\r maybe it's not sporty and it's a watered down LS ... but a watered down LS is supposed to be the ES isn't it?

It seems like maybe Lexus has a little too much over lap going on & I can see how someone might get confused if they just walked into a Lexus dealership and didn't really know what they wanted.

edit: oh dear, I was just on Lexus.com and looking at the GS, one of the taglines under one of the pictures in the slide show says: "because some corners are meant to be cut" . I know what they were getting at here, but it sounds like they're cheeping out on something and just not telling you.

Last edited by Faymester; 02-15-09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 12:15 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
So, any time I think about the line up of cars (just the sedans) for Lexus long enough it gets all fuzzy.

LS - clearly the top end, big deal car
IS - entry level aimed at the kids (like the parents-bought-you-a-car kinds of kids)

but then you come to the ES and GS ...

ES - luxury seriously non-sporting sedan, but is it entry level or mid level? I see this car for the middle aged non-car-enthusiast people. Same guy that would buy a Camry but has more money (low and behold, they kinda look the same too, so I'm sure that doesn't help too much)
GS - it's supposed to be sportier rite? but is it a sporty ES? or just a bigger deal IS ... oa\r maybe it's not sporty and it's a watered down LS ... but a watered down LS is supposed to be the ES isn't it?

It seems like maybe Lexus has a little too much over lap going on & I can see how someone might get confused if they just walked into a Lexus dealership and didn't really know what they wanted.

edit: oh dear, I was just on Lexus.com and looking at the GS, one of the taglines under one of the pictures in the slide show says: "because some corners are meant to be cut" . I know what they were getting at here, but it sounds like they're cheeping out on something and just not telling you.

I always considered the GS has a mix of an IS and LS, sport + Luxury!

The Tagline cracks me up though!

Maybe I'll wait before selling the GS350 for a E60 M5 but I hope its worth the 2 year wait!

Last edited by valgs350; 02-16-09 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 06:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
rofl - can't believe they did that. nice rig shot though.
Attached Thumbnails Next Gen GS should roll out two versions-gs-ad1.jpg  
Old 02-16-09, 09:55 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
My vote would be a GS coupe. That would be sexy.
I always thought of the 1SC and 2SC coue variants on the 1GS and 2GS
Old 02-16-09, 11:51 AM
ren495
Pole Position

I don't think there will be a GS coupe and I don't think there should. Lexus needs the IS coupe, LS coupe (SC), LF-A and then at some point maybe a small roadster to compete with the Z4, SLK, Audi TT crowd. Toyota needs a new AE86, new Supra to compete with the GT-R and a new MR2

Man I can't wait for next year, we should have lots of info on the next GS, LFA and hopefully a next SC by then. my next car will probably be either the next GS or SC
Old 02-16-09, 03:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally like to see an IS coupe and hardtop convertible, GS coupe and hard top convertible, a repositioned SC as a GT type car positioned more directly against the SL, and then the LFA.

Pretty please, Lexus?