Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Showing Itself To Be A Brand For The Times

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 12:33 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I do agree that auto execs are overpaid (in some cases WAY overpaid), but, in general, too much attention is being focused, IMO, on how auto companies run their finances. That is more a concern for the stockholders, as I see it, than the general public. As long as we meet their credit requirements for a new or used car and keep up our auto-finance or lease payments, the auto companies don't come into our homes and tell us how to run OUR day-to-day finances and affairs......that is none of their buisness. So why should we be so concerned about how they run THEIRS? True, some companies were recently given public funds as a loan, but that part of it was a public, not private matter, and was (properly) laid out in the open, in televised Congressional hearings and debates, for everyone to see.

Some of you may not agree with me (and that is your perogative), but when I go to review a car (and especially if I BUY one that I have to live with every day), I'm far more concerned with the design, quality, competence, and potential reliability of that car than how many perks the CEO and company VIPs get.
Sorry to drag this off topic, but since you brought it up, I have to disagree with your comments about being concerned with a company's financials.

Yes, the process may have been fully televised and publicly held, but that does not negate the fact that the general public should have an opportunity to dictate to GFC through the government. Probably the greatest failing of the auto industry bailout, thus far, has been that the gov't didn't actually put stipulations on how GFC could spend the money.

If it is our tax dollars (yes, our gov't for some inexplicable reason wants to keep inevitably bankrupt companies afloat for the short term as well) being spent we should at the very least get to force them to operate in a fiscally efficient and responsible manner.

Hyundai, certainly appears to understand the basics of successful operations (though only time will solidify their position as a true competitor to the big boys) and if they stay their current course, are poised for a prosperous future.

P.S. I should quantify my comments in stating that I commend Ford for the hard work that they have put in with relevant, market driven new vehicles and their efforts to succeed on their own when clearly GM and ChryCo are incapable.