Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Showing Itself To Be A Brand For The Times

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 01:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hyundai Showing Itself To Be A Brand For The Times

Originally Posted by BusinessWeek
Hyundai Motor America is having as difficult a time as most automakers these days coping with the dramatic drop in demand in autos. But one has to admire how the company is going about its business under the leadership of acting CEO John Krafcik.

Hyundai had an uptick in sales, by 14%, in January when just about every other company tanked with further double digit declines. But hang on. Hyundai sales are compared with a particularly bad month a year ago. And it not only tripled its incentives in January, but it also sent 7,000 out of 24,000-plus sales into fleets.

Hyundai sales chief Dave Zuchowski says that Hyundai is clearing out excess inventory, and that the company has taken down production at its Alabama assembly plant that makes santa Fe SUVs and Sonata sedans. Even Zuchowski admits that fleet sales above 30% is a “danger zone,” that will harm the company’s residuals. By year end, he says, the fleet percentage should be around 15%.

That aside, Hyundai, it’s worth pointing out, has been acting like a solid corporate citizen. Unlike other carmakers like Nissan and Suzuki, it did not pass up the Detroit Auto Show last month. True, it had a viable candidate for the North American Car of the Year award with its Genesis sedan, which it wound up winning at the show. But executives were making their case to Korean ownership to be in Detroit even without the award factoring in to the decision.

It would have been “bad form,” Krafcik told me at the show, before he knew the Genesis sedan won the award, to not come to the show when Detroit and Michigan are hurting so much. “It didn’t feel right not to come,” he said.

In a keynote speech at the Chicago Auto Show this week, Krafcik acquitted himself nicely, saying the industry must lead the way instead of dragging its feet on the issues of environment, safety and good business practices.

Check out these comments from his speech, and it makes me wonder if Ford didn’t make a huge mistake letting him go to Hyundai back in 2004.

“Let’s face it: Our reputation as an industry is horrible. In the U.S., we are viewed for the most part as a slow, dimwitted industry that is typically unresponsive to consumer and environmental needs,” he said. “If that weren’t bad enough, our executives are criticized for lavish compensation, abundant perks and unnecessary entitlements.

"We consistently damage our own brand reputations by resorting to costly discounts, rebates and desperate sales tactics to keep our plants running and to cover our fixed costs."

Krafcik called for ideas, such as a voluntary cap on executive compensation that uses a multiple of the average employee salary.
"What if our industry was the first to exercise a more inclusive form of capitalism that voluntarily restrained executive compensation to a reasonable multiple of average employee salary? And what if our industry adopted a uniform code of conduct regarding gifts, meals and business entertainment?

"It's time we exercised more discipline and more sensitivity in our approach to business. It's time to say goodbye to the days of overindulgence in auto shows, media launches, gift-giving, employee and dealer rewards, and executive compensation.

"There's a better way, a more modest and humble approach, that will help us move forward together through these revolutionary times."
I’m also impressed with the way Hyundai is handling its advertising and media. The company bought two iin-game ads in the Super Bowl this month. It actually looked more like three because they bought the last ad in the pre-game show, which had a 30 share, which means 30% of the TV’s on in America saw the extra ad for a lot less money than the in-game ads.

In last summer’s Olympics, it was Hyundai that had the first ad following Michael Phelps’ eighth Gold medal. The automaker made a major ad commitment to CNN during the third and fourth quarter to take advantage of the heightened audiences during the historic Presidential campaign. It had the first ad position coming out of President Obama’s victory speech on Election night, as well as the first ads out of Sarah Palin’s, Joe Biden’s and John McCain’s convention speeches.

Hyundai marketing chief Joel Ewanick says those were hard-won media placements and in line with the company’s brand strategy and customer targeting. “Hyundai buyers have high education levels and do a lot of research on the Net before they choose us,” says Ewanick. “They are very thoughtful and mindful people, and we try to reflect that in out media choices.”

During the week President Obama was inaugurated, the History Channel re-ran a multi-part series on the American Presidents. A geek for such programming, I was momentarily taken aback when I saw that the sponsoring brand for the series was Hyundai, not Ford or Chevy. “I’m glad to hear that,” says Ewanick.

The Super Bowl and being right in the middle of these historic moments being shared by Americans is all of a piece, a strategy the company is consciously pursuing in a strategic, but not overt, way. “We know times are tough, but we believe that Hyundai is a brand for the times that more people will discover…It’s important to keep our foot on the gas even in a down economy,” says Ewanick.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...i_showing.html
Old 02-13-09, 04:43 PM
Epik151
Driver

Seems like a down to earth guy. Hyundai is doing well.
Old 02-14-09, 05:08 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

cool.

now only if they would make cars that I'd buy . . .
Old 02-14-09, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
now only if they would make cars that I'd buy . . .
Old 02-14-09, 06:07 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rest of the Hyundai line follows that of the Genesis sedan and coupe, the automotive world better look out. Hyundai will be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 02-14-09, 06:27 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Not trying to put them down but,

the ads that say its more comfortable or nicer then a BMW or a Benz, it's almost complete bull.

iirc, they were comparing a hyundai car with a bmw 7. my dad got a 7 and the difference between the two cars is SO much different.

Definitely, if you have the money a benz\bimmer do feel more comfortable and are stronger then a hyundai, but they do pretty well if you cant afford the benz or bimmers.
Old 02-14-09, 06:27 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

i admit i didnt like hyundai till recently. they are doing pretty good right now. the genesis sedan and coupe kickass.
Old 02-14-09, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Hyundai has FOCUS right now but whats amazing about it is they are all over the spectrum (small econo city cars to sport coupes to SUVs to full luxury cars) and they all are hits are worth a good look. It is AMAZING how they have turned it around and CONTINUE to take their company to the next level.

Brand of the times? I tend to agree. Kudos to Hyundai.

Old 02-14-09, 06:47 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GENESIS: the origin or coming into being of something <the genesis of a new political movement>
Old 02-14-09, 11:54 AM
YEH
Pole Position

The article is probably overstating things a little bit.

Value has always been a driving proposition for many auto purchasers and in these trying times, it probably has more sway, but ultimately, it depends on whether Hyundai offers product that is at or near the top of the various segments of the auto industry.

Originally Posted by Amini9
Not trying to put them down but,

the ads that say its more comfortable or nicer then a BMW or a Benz, it's almost complete bull.

iirc, they were comparing a hyundai car with a bmw 7. my dad got a 7 and the difference between the two cars is SO much different.
I don't think the Genesis commercials say that it is more comfortable or nicer than a BMW (arguably, nicer than a 1 or 3 Series) - I've seen ads saying more room (than a 5 Series), more quiet interior, etc.

Really not much diff. from Ford Edge commercials touting certain aspects (in comparison to BMW/Lexus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbN0aaI87M8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNNdb3O2WE
Old 02-14-09, 02:04 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, its been a while since i actually payed attention to an hyundai ad, so i kinda forgot. but still, my mom has a 5 and its WAY better. sports package on a bmw is like a different world.
Old 02-14-09, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

how refreshing he offers and honest appraisal of the car industry, and offers some solutions to improve its image.
Old 02-14-09, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

“Let’s face it: Our reputation as an industry is horrible. In the U.S., we are viewed for the most part as a slow, dimwitted industry that is typically unresponsive to consumer and environmental needs,” he said. “If that weren’t bad enough, our executives are criticized for lavish compensation, abundant perks and unnecessary entitlements.
I do agree that auto execs are overpaid (in some cases WAY overpaid), but, in general, too much attention is being focused, IMO, on how auto companies run their finances. That is more a concern for the stockholders, as I see it, than the general public. As long as we meet their credit requirements for a new or used car and keep up our auto-finance or lease payments, the auto companies don't come into our homes and tell us how to run OUR day-to-day finances and affairs......that is none of their buisness. So why should we be so concerned about how they run THEIRS? True, some companies were recently given public funds as a loan, but that part of it was a public, not private matter, and was (properly) laid out in the open, in televised Congressional hearings and debates, for everyone to see.

Some of you may not agree with me (and that is your perogative), but when I go to review a car (and especially if I BUY one that I have to live with every day), I'm far more concerned with the design, quality, competence, and potential reliability of that car than how many perks the CEO and company VIPs get.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 12:05 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Amini9
Yeah, its been a while since i actually payed attention to an hyundai ad, so i kinda forgot. but still, my mom has a 5 and its WAY better. sports package on a bmw is like a different world.
Well, aside from the fact that the Genesis is more of a luxo cruiser, yeah, the 5 Series is way better - but then again, it's way better than pretty much everything else.
Old 02-15-09, 12:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

resect has to be earned. Lets see what kind of long term reliability these cars will have

Quick Reply: Hyundai Showing Itself To Be A Brand For The Times