Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

China's Chery eyes Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 02:21 PM
EUBT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool China's Chery eyes Volvo

I thought it would be part of Chrysler that would be bought by the chinese, but who knows in this economy, could be anyone: http://www.wheels.ca/articlecategory/article/506307

Last edited by EUBT; 02-13-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 04:06 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who knows,, Cherry is one of the largest independant Chinese manufacturers as well as one of the fastest growing auto manufacturers in the world. I remember hearing some time ago that Malcolm Bricklin, who brought us his self titled car in the early 70's (see below for pic), was even involved with them to try to sell Cherry automobiles here in the states by a company called Visionary Vehicles LLC. Came to odds with Cherry over Hybrid inclusion in the lineup and also decided that they could not build a car up to his standards (no more 100 lb gullwing doors I guess), and parted ways in 2006.

Some of my older cl members may remember this lil gem,,, doors were 100 lbs each,,
Old 02-13-09, 04:32 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah well hopefully they can pick up a few safety features to prevent their A-pillar from buckling.
Old 02-13-09, 04:43 PM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by trukn1
Some of my older cl members may remember this lil gem,,, doors were 100 lbs each,,
Didn't know that! You wonder how much pressure the struts needed to lift those doors, how long they lasted and how the support structure could handle 200 lbs in the air!

Last edited by EUBT; 02-13-09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 07:33 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EUBT
Didn't know that! You wonder how much pressure the struts needed to lift those doors, how long they lasted and how the support structure could handle 200 lbs in the air!
Actually the car was caled the SV1(Safety Vehicle 1) and in the efforts of safety had it's body integrated with a roll cage. The doors were super heavy(100 lbs each) and even to this day is the only car to offer FACTORY POWERED gull wing doors. I used to be in love with this car as a child, b/c it was so cool looking. I used to laugh like crazy when owners got into really tight spots and could not open the doors b/c there was not enough clearance. More facts here,,, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1

Sorry bout the thread jack.
Old 02-13-09, 08:04 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
Who knows,, Cherry is one of the largest independant Chinese manufacturers as well as one of the fastest growing auto manufacturers in the world. I remember hearing some time ago that Malcolm Bricklin, who brought us his self titled car in the early 70's (see below for pic), was even involved with them to try to sell Cherry automobiles here in the states by a company called Visionary Vehicles LLC. Came to odds with Cherry over Hybrid inclusion in the lineup and also decided that they could not build a car up to his standards (no more 100 lb gullwing doors I guess), and parted ways in 2006.

I liked the Bricklin also even went to the dealer to look at one and inquire about it. The car was roped off and no one was allowed near it. Not even a potential buyer. They treated it like a museum piece. I wanted one but walked away when I was not allowed to even sit in it. No wonder they went under in a hurry. Basically you were expected to buy it then sit in it and drive it.