Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

e92 m3 or 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 02:18 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porsche>bmw

simple math!
Old 02-16-09, 02:45 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I prefer the steering and tranny of the M3 (or even the regular 996) over the 996tt.

People forget that the 996tt is a 4 seater too, but only small children and pets fit back there.

I'll bet you'd be perfectly happy with the E92 M3 - it's no slouch. But the 996tt is considerably faster, and with the X50 package will be just as quick as anything on the road.
Old 02-16-09, 04:17 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Unless you have to have a convertible for some odd reason, cayman is the way to go.

In terms of performance - road course mainly but also traffic light racetrack, those 3 you mentioned E92, 996TT, and 987 are in three different leagues. 996TT's advantage will be that it is the top dog any situation. E92 is newer and has adult human usable back seats. 987 is the slowest of the three and like I mentioned above, if you are thinking I have to have the mid-engine handling, you should look at cayman not boxter.

And I'm sure some would agree with me and some would call me a flame thrower for saying this, but that porsche slogan is kinda out-dated. There is a substitute - a better one at that - and it called GT-R
has to be a convertible. i never really liked the cayman for some reason. GT-R is automatic so i wouldnt even consider it.
Old 02-16-09, 04:19 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
porsche>bmw

simple math!
Did that "simple math" come from personal experience?
Old 02-16-09, 04:58 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I say if you are liking the Boxster (eww) go Caymen > 911 > M3

The thing about the Caymen is unless you get the S it is slow, an 350Z would blow it away. The midengine cars will always be more fun than any others so that is why I choose the Caymen over the 911. I've also seen Caymen's now selling for 31k!!!
Old 02-16-09, 05:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipspeed
has to be a convertible. i never really liked the cayman for some reason. GT-R is automatic so i wouldnt even consider it.
I assume this car will be a weekend toy, not a dd.
Old 02-16-09, 06:40 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I assume this car will be a weekend toy, not a dd.
not really. i would be alternating it with the es300. sometimes im in the mood to drive manual but then i start to get weary of it being that i encounter traffic going to and from work.
Old 02-16-09, 06:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

not really. i would be alternating it with the es300. sometimes im in the mood to drive manual but then i start to get weary of it being that i encounter traffic going to and from work.
That being the case (use as dd), I'd recommend a warranteed Boxster S. I've owned 2 Boxsters and used them mostly as weekend toys at reasonable overall cost. A Boxster is the best-looking/best handling convertible in the Porsche lineup.
Old 02-16-09, 06:52 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toy4two
I say if you are liking the Boxster (eww) go Caymen > 911 > M3

The thing about the Caymen is unless you get the S it is slow, an 350Z would blow it away. The midengine cars will always be more fun than any others so that is why I choose the Caymen over the 911. I've also seen Caymen's now selling for 31k!!!
gotta go top down man. it's like a roller coaster experience. sure you get the added structural rigidity with a fixed roof which relates in better performance. however, without a roof, you feel as if you're going faster than you actually are and there's no escaping the sound of the engine and exhaust.
Old 02-16-09, 06:54 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

That being the case (use as dd), I'd recommend a warranteed Boxster S. I've owned 2 Boxsters and used them mostly as weekend toys at reasonable overall cost. A Boxster is the best-looking/best handling convertible in the Porsche lineup.
i agree, only a turbo convertible comes close as far as looks. im not too crazy about how a regular 911 covertible looks.
Old 02-16-09, 06:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

i agree, only a turbo convertible comes close as far as looks. im not too crazy about how a regular 911 covertible looks.
All rear engine cabs look a bit butt heavy with the top mechanism folded up on top of all that hardware. Later if I buy a 911 it will probably be a C4S coupe.
Old 02-16-09, 07:13 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

If it's "gotta go top down" then how about Lotus Exige or Elise. Either convertible will run circles around boxter s.

gotta go top down man. it's like a roller coaster experience. sure you get the added structural rigidity with a fixed roof which relates in better performance. however, without a roof, you feel as if you're going faster than you actually are and there's no escaping the sound of the engine and exhaust.
Old 02-16-09, 07:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
If it's "gotta go top down" then how about Lotus Exige or Elise. Either convertible will run circles around boxter s.
Except that in dd use (daily driver) the Porsche will provide the superior driving experience with good safety, comfort, torque, climate control, audio systems as added bonuses. If his goal is autocrossing, well the Lotus is the way to go.

btw, is the Lotus a convertible or a lift off/targa-type top?
Old 02-16-09, 07:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpower
Did that "simple math" come from personal experience?
Technically he is right. BMW makes great cars from the 1 series to the 7 series. The majority sold are smaller engine or diesel cars. |

Porsche's value leader is still a 50k car in the Boxster and its NEVER lost any comparo to the Z4 or Z4 M since they both were sold.

Only in C&D (which notoriously makes love to BMWs fannie) did the M3 actually beat (lol) the 911 turbo. In EVO/CAR the 911 BASE is picked over the M3. I have hte issuse where they even pick the base 911 over the M3 CSL.

I've already stated my opinion of both before that ALL 3 cars are winners but Porsche> BMW is the truth. Porsche makes nothing but sports cars and SUVs and now sedans. They rarely if ever lose a comparison ANYWHERE in the world.

I didn't get into the Boxster but some regard it as the finest handling car in the world. It pushes all the right buttons. You can mod it easily. Used Boxster S models are in the low 20s. That is a lot of fun for the money (but have money to maintain). The 911 advatange is even less apparent when you involve the Cayman. The Cayman is held back by Porsche so it doesn't outdo the 911. with its mid-engine layout, surely it can.

If you go with the Porsche, maybe start with the Boxster S and then go to a 911 turbo. Again, you surely cannot go wrong with the new model M3. I'm just a fan of big V-8s in small and midsize cars.

Old 02-16-09, 07:35 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

I guess it's more a targa than a convertible, if you have to pick one.

You can get elise with a air-conditioner, audio and all the creature comfort that boxster has minus perhaps "luxury" such as leather wraped dash from factory. Not too much torque although since it's so light it's not as much minus as in 3000lbs+ sleds.

Except that in dd use (daily driver) the Porsche will provide the superior driving experience with good safety, comfort, torque, climate control, audio systems as added bonuses. If his goal is autocrossing, well the Lotus is the way to go.

btw, is the Lotus a convertible or a lift off/targa-type top?

Quick Reply: e92 m3 or 996 turbo