Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

e92 m3 or 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 08:39 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e92 m3 or 996 turbo

in my relentless search for a boxster s, i started to notice that there are some 996 turbos out there that cost around the price of a faily new boxster s. the only problem is those 996 turbos have no warranty but still the thought of owning one anyways... then i thought about the new m3 and there are some used ones out there that cost around the same as a used 996 turbo. if you compare the specs, they are pretty similar. the m3 would be the more logical choice being that it would practically be brand new and it would have plenty of warranty left. but then again... porsche, there is no substitute
Old 02-15-09, 08:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flipspeed
in my relentless search for a boxster s, i started to notice that there are some 996 turbos out there that cost around the price of a faily new boxster s. the only problem is those 996 turbos have no warranty but still the thought of owning one anyways... then i thought about the new m3 and there are some used ones out there that cost around the same as a used 996 turbo. if you compare the specs, they are pretty similar. the m3 would be the more logical choice being that it would practically be brand new and it would have plenty of warranty left. but then again... porsche, there is no substitute
Did you test drive both cars?
Old 02-15-09, 10:39 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Did you test drive both cars?
i havent driven either one yet. im hoping someone in this forum has and can share their input. ive driven the boxster s and im leaning more towards that because it's a roadster and i like that whole go kart feel. im not really diggin the m3 convertible and that's going to cost more than the coupe. i saw a 996turbo cabriolet for around the same price as a m3 coupe so when i think about those 3 cars, the decision gets complicated. im really looking for a roadster but then to choose a boxster s over a m3 coupe may seem weird for some.
Old 02-15-09, 11:54 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Go for the Porshce its a better car in many respects. Its a fantastic all rounder. The ride is very good for a sports car, its luxurious, the numbers that it puts down are hard to beat and you can not forget about the exclusivity of the Porsche. In my opinion the BMW should be in this comparison.
Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDs6rm6uUPQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3Bw...eature=related
Old 02-15-09, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you talk about performance and the driving experience, the turbo will be a far superior car over the e92. that car is something else. however the out of warranty part is really something to think about, all the cost can add up big time. the e92 will be like brand new, no maintenance cost during warranty, quite different
Old 02-15-09, 04:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

911 is going to be more fun to drive, but the M3 will be more resonable to own
Old 02-15-09, 06:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

as said above
911 > M3 in performance hands down
but M3 will be more reasonable to own

of course 911 being an everyday supercar, it isnt unreasonable to own too
just be aware of transmission and clutch problems
extended warranty is a good to have for 911s
Old 02-15-09, 06:27 PM
LexFather

The 996 Turbo new is a 120k car, the M3 a 60k car (base MSRPs). The Turbo clearly is one of the greatest all around supercar performance cars around. The M3 is considered on of the best all around performance cars around.

The 2's execution is so different its not funny. Both however are massaged from cheaper cars (320 and standard 911).

Of course when you see prices as new, the 911 Turbo gets the nod. However used vs new M3 it gets more difficult. Both have pros and cons and you are going to have to drive both.

M3 is a front engine V-8, with either 2 or 4 doors. 911 T is a rear engine flat 6 turbo with 4 seats, 2 are basically parcel shelves. M3 is a car you need to really rev to get in peak HP. 911 T is so fast you can put it in any gear and the engine will make it move.

Good luck

Old 02-15-09, 07:52 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

thanks for the responses everyone. i find it interesting that no one had anything to say about the boxster s. my reason for considering the 996 turbo and e92 m3 is that the monthly payments would be the same if i did it 60 mo finance for either one and 36mo for the boxster s. i would have to save up a little bit longer to put a substantial downpayment on a 996 turbo with additional warranty and perhaps lower mileage.
Old 02-15-09, 09:52 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the boxster S is not in the same league as the 996 or the e92 in terms of performance, so it depends on your priorities and whether you are willing to give up some of the performance for a convertible. I always prefer a newer car, so for me the e92 gets the nod. Plus you get 4 years of free maintenance. The 996 turbo could get pricey due to maintenance and/or problems.
Old 02-15-09, 09:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am starting to see the insane value in buying a slightly used car. I dont know if I will get myself to take the plunge, but you sure can get a deal.
Old 02-15-09, 10:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the responses everyone. i find it interesting that no one had anything to say about the boxster s. my reason for considering the 996 turbo and e92 m3 is that the monthly payments would be the same if i did it 60 mo finance for either one and 36mo for the boxster s. i would have to save up a little bit longer to put a substantial downpayment on a 996 turbo with additional warranty and perhaps lower mileage.
What are your questions about the Boxster S?

The Boxster and Caymen are the best handling Porsches with superb balance and relatively attractive prices considering the amount of hardware shared with the 911's. They are a bit of a price-leader subsidized by the higher margin various 911 cars. Maintenance costs are a little cheaper as Porsche tries to keep service a bit more affordable.

All of the Porsches depreciate heavily in this market, making CPO cars with warranties a good safer bet.
Old 02-15-09, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am starting to see the insane value in buying a slightly used car. I dont know if I will get myself to take the plunge, but you sure can get a deal.
Your observations on low mileage premium cars are valid, the values are tremendous especially with high-end premium cars losing half their value in 3 years even with low mileage.
Old 02-16-09, 01:23 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Having driven all 3 I chose my Boxster S 6 years ago because it is the funest car I have ever driven. The Turbo is more thrilling but you must risk your drivers license to experience the upgrade over the turbo. I love the ease of rotation from the Boxster much better than what the AWD Turbo gives you.

Old 02-16-09, 01:49 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Unless you have to have a convertible for some odd reason, cayman is the way to go.

In terms of performance - road course mainly but also traffic light racetrack, those 3 you mentioned E92, 996TT, and 987 are in three different leagues. 996TT's advantage will be that it is the top dog any situation. E92 is newer and has adult human usable back seats. 987 is the slowest of the three and like I mentioned above, if you are thinking I have to have the mid-engine handling, you should look at cayman not boxter.

And I'm sure some would agree with me and some would call me a flame thrower for saying this, but that porsche slogan is kinda out-dated. There is a substitute - a better one at that - and it called GT-R

Quick Reply: e92 m3 or 996 turbo