Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09 | 12:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Default Lexus Certified Pre-Owned

So I have a situation here that I am trying to gain some insight on.

My brother has an '01 IS300 that he's had since '06. It's Lexus CPO. Since it is so worthless in winter weather he is looking to get a new car. So he went to a used car dealer to look at cars and get a trade in value on the IS. So apparently this car was in an accident in '02. It has extensive frame damage, so bad that this particular dealer wouldn't even take it.

So here is what I am wondering:
1. What does Lexus CPO do? Shouldn't the whole car be inspected?
2. What would you do in the situation?
3. Go back to the Lexus dealer the IS was purchased from or go straight to coporate Lexus?

I told him consult another dealer and see what they say about the car. I also instructed him to call Lexus of America and complain. My family has had a number of Lexuses and Toyotas over the years and plan to continue to do so. It would be ashame to sour a customer. I know that my mom has had good luck calling Lexus when complaining about things that simply shouldn't go wrong on a Lexus, especially when you have followed their maintence schedule, etc. I guess I just expect more from Lexus. However, in this case they are no better Subaru who we once bought a car from with a bent frame.
Old 02-15-09 | 01:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Go to Lexus dealership that sold car first, Lexus corporate next if necessary.

Am I reading this right? This 2001 IS300 was purchased as a Lexus CPO in 2006?
Old 02-15-09 | 01:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

He needs to look at the CPO documentation. I wonder if this other dealer is giving a line of BS. A car in that condition shouldn't have been qualified as a CPO. If it was, there's a legitimate beef vs Lexus.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/pdf/CPO_161_Checklist.pdf

Certification Standards
In order to meet the rigorous standards of the CPO program, specially-trained Lexus technicians put each vehicle through an exhaustive series of examinations, assuring reliability, quality and customer confidence.

Inspection
Every detail is inspected by Lexus-trained technicians, right down to first aid kits and spare tires. A small squeak or faint odor is enough to disqualify a vehicle.

- Technicians perform a mechanical inspection and computer diagnosis of the engine
- The exterior is checked for dings, dents and scratches
- The upholstery, audio systems, power windows and locks are part of the interior inspection
- The safety and security of airbags, seatbelts, brake pads and rotors, plus tire tread depth is assessed
- The undercarriage is checked, including wheel alignment, chassis, frame rails and subframe
- The upholstery in the luggage compartment is evaluated, along with the spare tire and first aid kit
- A road test is performed to check for engine noises, handling issues, interior squeaks, rattles and vibrations
Old 02-15-09 | 07:31 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So I'm told that he went back to the dealer he got and with my dad present. The service guys took a look at it with him. It seems that the frame is okay, which makes sense to me as I've done oil changes on this car and didn't notice any mismatching paint. It seems as if the damage that was done was done to front bumper. Which, I was reminded that the bumper was repainted by Lexus after he bought the car as part of the purchasing agreement.
Old 02-15-09 | 09:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Now the story is making more sense, false alarm.

I do know of a heavily repaired Porsche that slipped through the Porsche CPO process, but as expected Porsche bought it back at full purchase price.
Old 02-15-09 | 09:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
He needs to look at the CPO documentation..
Exactly, the CPO guidelines are there in writing for all to see/print/read.
Old 02-15-09 | 09:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It seems as if the damage that was done was done to front bumper. Which, I was reminded that the bumper was repainted by Lexus after he bought the car as part of the purchasing agreement.
Therefore no sheet metal repair, probably bumper cap repaired or replaced and repainted, very common.
Old 02-15-09 | 10:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I know many members may frown upon this but I would say call your Lawyer quickly. If you want to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt you can try to discuss it with the deakership manager, but they will probably deny you considering they are probably on the edge financially right now
Old 02-16-09 | 06:31 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know many members may frown upon this but I would say call your Lawyer quickly. If you want to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt you can try to discuss it with the deakership manager, but they will probably deny you considering they are probably on the edge financially right now
LOL.

Do you have any idea how much PROFIT an average Lexus store makes in a month?

There's a reason why people beat down the door whenever Lexus decides to allow another franchise.
Old 05-28-09 | 02:46 PM
T0manyT0ys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, the CPO guidelines are there in writing for all to see/print/read.
Guidelines is probably the key word in this phrase. Do you have any idea how much previous damage is allowed during a CPO checklist inspection?

1.) Dealer, 2.) Corporate then 3.) Attorney
Old 05-28-09 | 02:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0manyT0ys
Guidelines is probably the key word in this phrase. Do you have any idea how much previous damage is allowed during a CPO checklist inspection?

Yes I do not that it means anything, but as I stated they are "guidelines".
Old 05-29-09 | 04:14 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Yes, do you? A potential CPO candidate can have nothing more than "slight cosmetic repair". That usually means front bumper re-paint to correct rock chip damage. Replacement of general wear and tear parts are also allowed. It must be less than 5 years old, and must not have more than 60k on the clock. If the car has been in any kind of accident, even if no frame damage results, it's rejected immediately.
Old 05-29-09 | 04:51 PM
T0manyT0ys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes I do not that it means anything, but as I stated they are "guidelines".

And would you like to share the guideline figure on allowable previous damage to a potential CPO car?
Old 05-29-09 | 05:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And would you like to share the guideline figure on allowable previous damage to a potential CPO car?
No thanks. No point in it.