Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Zigen Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 5 Zigen Civic Type R

For those of you who have even piloted a race spec civic on a race track you will probably appreciate the beauty of this car.

Back in 2007, 5Zigen built and groomed this FD-2 with the intent of dominating the NA unlimited class in The Super Lap Battle finale. No stranger to Motorsports, 5Zigen relied on their years of experience in JGTC and the Formula Nippon series to complete this ground up build in less than two months, an impressive feat for any team. With 5Zigen team driver Ryo Michigami behind the wheel, they achieved their goals of securing the win at Buttonwillow Raceway. Check the specs of this time attack champion below.

2007 Honda Civic Type-R

Engine
Engine Code: K20
Type: 2400cc (est.), in-line four, aluminum block and head, DOHC, iVTEC variable valve timing
Internal Modifications: Honda Step Wagon K24 short block, stock Civic Type-R cylinder head, Toda Racing camshafts

External Modifications: 5Zigen ProRacer exhaust header, Miracle Fireball exhaust, custom intake, oil catch tank, engine mounts, crossmember mounts, ARC radiator, Odyssey LB680 battery
Engine Management Modifications: Motec M800 ECU
Drivetrain Modifications: ORC clutch kit

Suspension
Front: Ohlins DFV coilovers, H&R springs (20kg/mm), 5Zigen custom six-point chassis brace
Rear: Ohlins DFV coilovers, H&R springs (22kg/mm)
Brakes
Front: Endless Micro-6 brake kit, 330mm two-piece slotted brake rotors, six-piston fixed calipers, CC-R brake pads
Rear: Endless CC-R brake pads

Exterior
Wheels: ProRacer FN01R-C, 18×8.5
Tires: Falken Azenis RT-615, 235/40/18
Body: 5Zigen front carbon fiber undertray, Ings+1 body kit,
Honda Veni rear carbon fiber wing

Interior: Custom roll cage, seam-welded chassis, carbon Kevlar Bride bucket seats, Takata four-point harnesses, Defi gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure), Momo steering wheel, Works Bell steering boss, 5Zigen custom switch panel, pedal box, fire extinguisher, brake bias adjustment ****
Attached Thumbnails 5 Zigen Civic Type R-lead-9.jpg  
Old 02-15-09, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

here is another shot of this true pocket rocket
Attached Thumbnails 5 Zigen Civic Type R-05.jpg  
Old 02-15-09, 10:15 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a little too much for me. I just couldn't turn a Civic into a Track car, let alone buy one.
Old 02-15-09, 11:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

real time acura has destroyed the bimmers, mustangs, mazda 626's, and even some GT mustangs in their little TSX's and RSX's. I am not a fan of fwd race cars, but they can be made , and made to win
Old 02-16-09, 02:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even a stock Si can be a fun to drive car, despite FWD. The K series motor is one of Honda's most versatile motors as well.
Old 02-16-09, 09:12 AM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss my 07 SI sometimes, it was an awesome car...I had the same rims as the 5Zigen car lol
Old 02-16-09, 10:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The K-series engines are very responsive to mods. This car has no problem taking out most RWD cars on the track. A lot of people hate civics, but this car is an example of one that will take your butt to the track, man handle it, twist it around, and throw you back to where you belong. The suspension parts on that car cost more than most used Lexus on this board. Truly an amazing machine if you want to take it around the track.
Old 02-16-09, 11:12 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

As a Civic owner, I simply CANNOT understand the hatred so many people have for these cars. I LOVE mine. 40mpg+ and all. It has the build quality that is second only to lexus, and being that I cant find a lexus where I am to suit my needs/wants, Its the next best thing to a Lexus I can get up here.

That said, look at my sig. WHAT is so wrong with a tastefully modded Civic? Really? I want to know. Come for a ride in mine. It isnt the fastest, but at 80 mph with a blindfold on, i challenge you to tell me whether or not you are moving. It rides smooth and quiet as any GS I have ridden in, and quieter and smoother than most IS's I have ridden in/driven.

There is nothing at all wrong with a Honda Civic...ESPECIALLY when its tastefully modded. Its a different class of car than Lexus, and In its class, Its the best at what it does.
Old 02-16-09, 02:01 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

no way you get 40mpg out of a civic. my wife's 06 civic lx sedan had 24-26 city and about 32-34 highway.

and the build quality was ok. it drove like 18k car.
Old 02-16-09, 04:19 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I still miss my Civic sometimes. It was so fun to drive. I don't hate on Civics. I hate on the drivers that act like idiots and rice them out.

IIRC, a 98 or 99 Civic HX gets 44MPG on the freeway. That was all before they changed the fuel economy rating though.
Old 02-16-09, 05:46 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I think the Civic is, IMO the best car in that class. The Corolla is too sedate and cheap by Toyota standards, and the Sentra/Cobalt/Focus/Caliber are too rentalish. It's the ricers and street racers that ruined Honda's image. I think Honda makes a great car, but their sales channels blow to royal hell - don't ask how I know and their engineering isn't as good as it was.
Old 02-16-09, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
no way you get 40mpg out of a civic. my wife's 06 civic lx sedan had 24-26 city and about 32-34 highway.

and the build quality was ok. it drove like 18k car.
I think so too. Its well built for its price.
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
As a Civic owner, I simply CANNOT understand the hatred so many people have for these cars. I LOVE mine. 40mpg+ and all. It has the build quality that is second only to lexus, and being that I cant find a lexus where I am to suit my needs/wants, Its the next best thing to a Lexus I can get up here.

That said, look at my sig. WHAT is so wrong with a tastefully modded Civic? Really? I want to know. Come for a ride in mine. It isnt the fastest, but at 80 mph with a blindfold on, i challenge you to tell me whether or not you are moving. It rides smooth and quiet as any GS I have ridden in, and quieter and smoother than most IS's I have ridden in/driven.

There is nothing at all wrong with a Honda Civic...ESPECIALLY when its tastefully modded. Its a different class of car than Lexus, and In its class, Its the best at what it does.
Its rare to find a tastefully modded Civic. My iphone is FILLED with the usual crap around town, driving like knuckleheads. Of course there are some good apples but that is one bad bunch. Its like being in a gang yelling "hey I'm in a gang but I don't steal, cheat, shoot, stab or commit crimes". Case in point, the only time I got hit by another car, it was a Civic. I posted a thread WITH PICS of the clown in another riced out Civic that lost control and almost hit me and my G/F (I was saved by a stop sign and a median). If you search "civic" on most car forums, its either some silly race or something ridiculous.

Another example is our big Atlanta Varsity car meet. Well its a great meet until around 10pm every half painted Civic/Accord comes. And what they used to do is simply go and burnout in the parking lot. SOmetimes until a tire exploded. Well it got to a point where the police now have to patrol the area. I was glad they did (and I was on TV saying its great, we had a thread here too) and they continue to do so.

Are Civics good cars? Yup, otherwise they wouldn't sell so well. However a lot of people have had terrible experiences with Civic drivers/owners and seeing that most are poorly modded, you can't get to upset when people bunch it all together. Civics are clearly moddable and the "go to" car for young people b/c they are cheap (and of course one of the top stolen cars) and many are hand downs from parents. When I'm on the road as soon as I see one around, I just slow down and look the other way b/c chances are he and his car full of buds is going to try to race. Sorry, thats just my experience.

Heck, people say Lexus is an "old persons car". To some extent that is true and that is some of the stigma the brand has. Some people say BMWs are for ****** and Benz's are for snobs. Such are sterotypes in life.

My fav Civic? Clean 2001 or so Civic coupe Si's, especially in the blue color.

I've personally seen Civics at the track and yes even with FWD, they are very capable cars. Honda ALWAYS has made some if not the best FWD pocket rockets.

It is what it is.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-16-09 at 06:14 PM.

Old 02-16-09, 08:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I like the 8th gen Civic myself - although I think the coupe looks a little funky at first.