Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

USA Today article about Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 09:52 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA Today article about Nissan GT-R

Title of the article is:

"Nissan GT-R is impressive, but for $77,000 it should be perfect"

So for the price of a Maybach or Rolls those cars should fly right?

here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...#uslPageReturn

I don't know but it seems to me like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about and is just talking out of his ***.
Old 02-16-09, 11:51 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The writer expects every car to have a smooth comfortable ride. The TTS he tested had a relatively smoother ride because it can't do what the GT-R is capable of. He should have listed a car that is on par with the GT-R on the performance level but much better ride for daily use at the same price, he could't find one. Expecting a high performance sports car of this caliber to have a smooth ride is like expecting an astrophysicist to be able to perform a kidney transplant operation for someone: irrelevant. Buick, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota are providing cars that have smooth ride even on rough surface, he should stick with them. You don't need a racetrack to tell the difference between a 3.3 and 4.9 seconds 0-60.
Old 02-16-09, 01:12 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Meh. All the reviews that really mean anything have already been done. This guy is only just arriving at a party that ended last week.
Old 02-16-09, 02:37 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Jamres R. Healey is a bit old to be driving a GTR, his arthritis makes it difficult to push the electric window switch. The fact that he went on about the luxuries - in a GTR, doesn't exactly make sense. You don't buy a GTR because you want a ride that can adapt to all situations to create remarkable comfort for you. Yeah, I'm sure what you want when travelling 300km/h + is suspension that is more interested in your comfort than performance.
Old 02-16-09, 03:50 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

He is a numbnut... What car more less... SUPERCAR can achieve and smash the streets or circuit like the GT-R can with a plush suspension?
Old 02-16-09, 06:07 PM
LexFather

If he is worried about the ride, he clearly is driving way to slow in the GT-R Not a very good review from that aspect.

Old 02-16-09, 08:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This guy is a clown. I want to see the GT3 ride like a freakn caddy and kill the nurburgring in less than 7min 30 sec.
Old 02-16-09, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
The writer expects every car to have a smooth comfortable ride. The TTS he tested had a relatively smoother ride because it can't do what the GT-R is capable of. He should have listed a car that is on par with the GT-R on the performance level but much better ride for daily use at the same price, he could't find one. Expecting a high performance sports car of this caliber to have a smooth ride is like expecting an astrophysicist to be able to perform a kidney transplant operation for someone: irrelevant. Buick, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota are providing cars that have smooth ride even on rough surface, he should stick with them. You don't need a racetrack to tell the difference between a 3.3 and 4.9 seconds 0-60.
I agree that this guy doesn't know much about cars, and that the GT-R SHOULD be stiff-riding, considering its performance potential.....there's no question about that. But the problem with a lot of today's vehicles is that too many other cars ride stiffly as well.....cars that are supposed to be comfort-oriented, and, at one time, were. When you've got Buicks, Cadillacs, and Lincolns riding harshly over bumps, something is wrong.

Buick, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota are providing cars that have smooth ride even on rough surface
Wrong. That used to be the case, but even many of THEM are borderline-stiff riding nowadays. The difference between today's Buicks, especially, and those of 8-10 years ago is quite noticeable. So is the Cadillac CTS, compared to many of its forerunners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 07:54 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

There are plenty of cars this guy can buy that offer the luxury he's looking for, and still have super-car performance.

He could pick up a...
Bentley Continental GT - 552 HP W12 $179K
Ferrari 599 GTB - 612 HP V12 $303K
Porsche 997 GT3 - 415 HP flat-6 $106K

The Bentley and Ferrari offer the luxury he's looking for. Too bad they're twice/4 times the price (respectively).

The Porsche offers similar perfomance, and it's only $30K more expensive.

Anyone who drives a GT-R and complains about the stiff ride...is an idiot. Sorry for the name-calling but, that's life. You're just stupid. Please live with it.

P.S. I'm NOT a GT-R nut. I don't own one, I don't desire one, I won't even do a U-turn if I see one parked somewhere. But, I do respect what Nissan has done with that car. The performance/technology-per-dollar for that car is simply amazing.
Old 02-17-09, 09:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

What's up with these non-car guys/article writers getting into car reviewing???

I'm certainly not going to order fish if I walk into black angus (or another steak house of your choice).
Old 02-17-09, 01:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who needs the old soft car-sick-inducing, sloppy handing, nose diving under braking, understeering ride of the old Buicks.

GTR's around here don't attract much attention except from enthusiasts, but that stealth effect has it advantages.