Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good review Mike. I don't mind it not being sporty b/c its a SUV, they seem to get the Utility part of the equation.
Thanks. Though it is a little too monotone for my tastes, the Q5's interior is anything BUT "utility". It is typical Audi first-rate trim and fit-finish inside.

42k is not that bad as tested but its pricey compared to the new RX. Audi is late to the SUV game here. Not a game changer but seems to be a welcome addition. I for one am thankful for its styling and it doesn't look like a shot and stabbed transformer on the way to the crap heap like the other cute-utes in this class.
True.....I mentioned in the review I thought the Q5 a little pricey, especially with the package-options. But you mention the RX....I'd take the RX in a heartbeat, for daily driving, over the Q5, though the Q5 does, admittedly, have a strong V6. But the RX, in general, has the kind of refinement that I like.....one of the best I've seen in the SUV class. It will be one of the top ten contenders, along with several Subarus, the BMW 335xi, a few new GM products such as the Malibu/Saturn Aura, and the Lexus IS250 AWD (though the IS250/350 rides pretty stiff), when I'm ready to go new-car shopping.....which, BTW, may not be far off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks for the Q5 review. I'm going to the Chicago Auto Show tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing the GLK and Q5 at the same time. I've already seen the '10 RX at the dealership.
Have fun and enjoy the show. Let us know if Subaru brings the 2010 Legacy/Outback there. I was hoping they would have it at the D.C. show but they didn't.

So, if you're spending your own hard earned $40k+, would you choose the RX, GLK or Q5?
As of right now, a complete no-brainer for me...........the RX, hands-down. But, to be honest, I haven't reviewed the GLK yet (I may in the future). However, I can't imagine it being more refined and relaxing than the LX. Mercedes, though, DOES know how to combine good ride with good handling, perhaps better than any other automaker except BMW......so I will keep an open mind on the GLK until I review it..

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, having seen the GLK and Q5 up close, the Q5 looks the best, but that's just exterior styling.
No arguments there. The Q5's looks is definitely one of its better features, but it would probably look even better if Audi would go back to the older grilles they had 5-6 years ago before they started using those oversize squares.
Old 02-16-09, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
I am confident that this thing has got at least one thing going against the GLK:

Interior material quality.
The Q5's interior is typical Audi. There is very little difference between the interior materials in the Q5 and that of its corporate sisters and brothers. Many of them come out of the same parts-bin.

I sat in the GLK in last year's LA autoshow and that thing has the worst interior material quality out of all MBs, including the current C-class which is already not something to write home about.
What did you dislike about the interior? The 2 GLKs at the D.C. shop a couple of weeks ago seemed pretty well-done inside, or at least not chintzy and cheap.

Exterior styling is another one that the Q5 got the GLK beat but that really depends on personal preference.
I happen to agree with you on that one.
Old 02-16-09, 07:50 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike, great review as usual.

We will certainly have a peek at this if they get one in this week. I would, with only having seen it in pics so far, easily say that the Q5 is nicer than the GLK or X3 from the outside. As I've mentioned previously, I was extremely disappointed with the GLK. Sure it drove ok, but it's flat out ugly and the interior quality, as somebody else already mentioned, is not befitting the MB logo.

As far as your wanting a diesel, I did speak to a sales guy last week when I picked up the pricing package, and he did state that they will be bringing one to the market for this and the Q7. (Of course you never know how much truth these guys are telling you...lol.)
Old 02-16-09, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Thanks Mike, great review as usual.
Sure. Anytime.

We will certainly have a peek at this if they get one in this week. I would, with only having seen it in pics so far, easily say that the Q5 is nicer than the GLK or X3 from the outside. As I've mentioned previously, I was extremely disappointed with the GLK. Sure it drove ok, but it's flat out ugly and the interior quality, as somebody else already mentioned, is not befitting the MB logo.
I'll agree that the GLK doesn't have the Q5's exterior looks. But I'll ask you the same question I asked him.......what did you dislike about the GLK's interior? The ones I saw at the D.C. Auto Show seemed pretty well done inside, or at least not chintzy and cheap.

As far as your wanting a diesel, I did speak to a sales guy last week when I picked up the pricing package, and he did state that they will be bringing one to the market for this and the Q7. (Of course you never know how much truth these guys are telling you...lol.)
It's not that I necessarily want the TDI diesel myself, but VW has proved that there is a market in this country for diesels, in spite of the high cost of the low-fuel diesel fuel required for the new-generation TDI/BlueTec diesels.

Diesel-vehicle purchases, in many areas, also qualify for alternative-fuel tax credits. Don't ask me why , as diesel fuel is made from petroleum, just as gasoline is. But, that's the tax law.....it qualifies for a credit.
Old 02-16-09, 08:30 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll agree that the GLK doesn't have the Q5's exterior looks. But I'll ask you the same question I asked him.......what did you dislike about the GLK's interior? The ones I saw at the D.C. Auto Show seemed pretty well done inside, or at least not chintzy and cheap.
Cheap is a relative term in this class of vehicle, as we all know they are anything but. I drove the GLK before the ML Bluetec and found the seats to be very uncomfortable. The leather (artico actually) seemed to be thin and not really luxurious (read:soft). I didn't like the two stalks on the left, like you mention in several of your reviews. Materials didn't feel solid like it does in the ML.

I need to pay more attention to details so that I can comment in more detail on them here. When I drove the Bluetec, immediately after I felt much more comfortable. The materials felt better, but that may just be my perception.

I took an X3, X5 and X6 out right after the MB and was more impressed with the X3's interior than the GLK. Spartan seems to be a word that is regularly used to describe MB and BMW interiors and it's the best word that I can think of at the moment.

I guess part of this is, of course, subjective. I don't think any of the 5 SUV's that I drove that day even come remotely close to either of my Lexus', but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-16-09, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The leather (artico actually) seemed to be thin and not really luxurious (read:soft). I didn't like the two stalks on the left, like you mention in several of your reviews. Materials didn't feel solid like it does in the ML.
You may have a point with leather.....there has been some cost-cutting in seat leather, as in many parts of the auto industry. I've distinctly noticed that, to get really smooth leather like luxury cars USED to have, you have to get the most expensive models now.......AMG Mercedes, S-class Audis, supercharged R Jaguars, etc...... Lower-line cars, even in the luxury class, now, often, have rough, grainy leather that, IMO, is not nery nice-looking. I specifically note the general look and feel of the leather in cars I review.

That column-stalk problem has become endemic in German cars.....I don't now why the companies persist with them. German companies, though, are well-known for at least a touch of arrogance, and for not being receptive to customers' desires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 12:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO, I think BMW/Audi/Mercedes are carving up this small SUV business segment to the point where they might all post relatively small sales numbers. (I'm referring to the new X3/GLK/Q5). But they all want a piece of this business that BMW has dominated with via the current mediocre X3.

We will know by later this year.
Old 02-17-09, 03:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review Marshall.. Looks like the famous Audi body roll has been passed down to this new vehicle.. Nice looking vehicle though. Hey, Audi stole the cargo area design from BMW!

Audi Q5

BMW X3 (excuse my suitcase)

BMW X5
Old 02-17-09, 03:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice and fair review Mike and thx for the time invested!! I will add to the growing consensus that Audi continues to offer more and more options for the public while not oversaturating just to make sales numbers.

Your review seems to support opinion that the new RX is the player to beat in the 5-seat luxury SUV segment. Curious that some of the Q7 quirks remain but there have been marked improvements. I have read TDI next year on Audi blogs??? Certainly would jump the Q5 up the charts... Q7 still seems better bet for our needs

Great review (we should make a stamp of that ) thx again!!
Old 02-17-09, 05:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, I think BMW/Audi/Mercedes are carving up this small SUV business segment to the point where they might all post relatively small sales numbers. (I'm referring to the new X3/GLK/Q5). But they all want a piece of this business that BMW has dominated with via the current mediocre X3.

We will know by later this year.
VW, another German company, has also entered the picture with the the Touraeg and Tiguan. The Tiguan is smaller and costs less than the X3/GLK/Q5 trio, but the Touraeg fits right in with them, price-wise.....and the Touraeg, unlike the rest of them, is a dedicated off-roader as well, despite having unibody construcion. Can't put the Touraeg's brother, the Porsche Cayenne, though, in this group.....it costs too much.
Old 02-17-09, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Nice review Marshall.. Looks like the famous Audi body roll has been passed down to this new vehicle.. Nice looking vehicle though. Hey, Audi stole the cargo area design from BMW!
Thanks, Dash.

I know that some of those images I posted were not perfect.....I mentioned that in the review. But they were the closest ones I could find to the U.S.-market spec model I tested. I don't have a digital camera or the skills of downloading it, so I'm somewhat limited, in my posting, to Google images, which often are inaccurate. I post the best ones I can find.
Old 02-17-09, 05:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Uote]

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Nice and fair review Mike and thx for the time invested!!

Sure...anytime.

I will add to the growing consensus that Audi continues to offer more and more options for the public while not oversaturating just to make sales numbers.
Everybody else is, too....that's part of the problem. Manufacturer A adds more options, then Manufacturer B, then Manufacturer C, D, E, etc....on down the line. We're getting to the point, automotively-speaking, where the manufacturers are trying to stuff a gallon of sales into a quart-size container. You can't expect boom-type sales in a recession market.

Your review seems to support opinion that the new RX is the player to beat in the 5-seat luxury SUV segment. Curious that some of the Q7 quirks remain but there have been marked improvements. I have read TDI next year on Audi blogs??? Certainly would jump the Q5 up the charts... Q7 still seems better bet for our needs
THe Q7 is roomier, granted, and can carry more, but is more cumbersome to manuver and park at close quarters.....say, if your wife uses it for shopping. It also costs more. But, despite its size, I was impressed with the handling of the 3.6L model I reviewed some time ago.

The RX is the standard-bearer only if you want an ultra-smooth drivetrain, plush interior, and tomb-quiet performance (which, of course, I like). Its Roly-Poly handling, though, slow steering response, and somewhat quirky styling will not appeal much to the hard-charging sporty-SUV crowd, though....they will be in the BMW X3/X5 and Porsche Cayenne.

Great review (we should make a stamp of that ) thx again!!
Glad you enjoy them. I'm going to take a breather for a few days.....but more coming up, by request. Next on the list: Mercedes GL450 and GLK.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-09 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The RX is the standard-bearer only if you want an ultra-smooth drivetrain, plush interior, and tomb-quiet performance (which, of course, I like). Its Roly-Poly handling, though, slow steering response, and somewhat quirky styling will not appeal much to the hard-charging sporty-SUV crowd, though....they will be in the BMW X3/X5 and Porsche Cayenne.
Ain't that the truth. When I am tired of driving, have back problems requiring a chiropractor, demand being chauffeured by my kids then the RX will be on my short list..

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi Q5