Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 12:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I was able to check out the Q5 at the Chicago Auto Show today. Styling-wise IMO it is much better than the GLK. The interior is nice too. There was much more interest in the Q5 than the GLK, but it has been out for a short time now. Lots of interest too in the '10 RX, even more than the Audi.

Have fun and enjoy the show. Let us know if Subaru brings the 2010 Legacy/Outback there. I was hoping they would have it at the D.C. show but they didn't.

mmarshall, no 2010 Legacy's or Outback's at the show, all were '09's.
Old 02-17-09, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I cannot recommend the Pilot. Its simply average at best and ugly to boot. Looks like a Honda Jeep Commander. MPG is average, materials are average, its just ugly average with a Honda badge. THe highlander is better and the GMs Arcadia, the Chevy one are too. I find the Kia Borrego just as good as well.
OK, I'll partly agree that the Pilot is not particularly good-looking, and, unlike the smaller superb CR-V, the interior materials are not quite as good as the last-generation model, but it has an excellent repair/reliability record (one of the best of any SUV, accodring to Consumer Reports), and is roomy, boxy and space-efficient for carrying things. That's why I at least partly recommended it. I'll also go along with the Highlander, which has been about as equally reliable as the Pilot....well above average.

The Borrego, as 1SICK says, is a nice machine indeed (I reviewed one several months ago) had seems to use quality materials, but it has not been on the market long enough to have a reliability record. it is also quite big and trucklike.....it may (?) be slightly larger than what you are looking for.
Old 02-17-09, 01:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I was able to check out the Q5 at the Chicago Auto Show today. Styling-wise IMO it is much better than the GLK. The interior is nice too. There was much more interest in the Q5 than the GLK, but it has been out for a short time now. Lots of interest too in the '10 RX, even more than the Audi.
Not surprising. The LX has had a lot of appeal, nationwide, since it debuted over a decade ago. It drew a lot of attantion at the D.C. show, too.

mmarshall, no 2010 Legacy's or Outback's at the show, all were '09's.
Thanks. I'm a BIG fan of the present-generaton ('05-'09) models....in fact, I own one. I just wanted to see what the all-new 2010 models will be like before deciding on another purchase. I'm afraid Subie is going to screw the new ones up like they did the all-new '09 Forester.
Old 02-17-09, 01:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VW, another German company, has also entered the picture with the the Touraeg and Tiguan. The Tiguan is smaller and costs less than the X3/GLK/Q5 trio, but the Touraeg fits right in with them, price-wise.....and the Touraeg, unlike the rest of them, is a dedicated off-roader as well, despite having unibody construcion. Can't put the Touraeg's brother, the Porsche Cayenne, though, in this group.....it costs too much.
Tiguan is downscale considerably from the GLK/X3/Q5 class of vehicles, VW can only hope to compete here (against GLK/X3/Q5) with it.

The Touraeg is grossly overweight and has the poor gas mileage and high sticker price so it won't compete directly. I agree the Cayenne is overpriced and it's over-engineered/over-weight/badge-engineering at its best.

The Germans are carefully picking the size/weight/price/power of these X3/GLK/Q5's and they are tightly grouped, just look at how close they are, amazing. This will be an interesting sales battle.
Old 02-17-09, 01:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Tiguan is downscale considerably from the GLK/X3/Q5 class of vehicles, VW can only hope to compete here (against GLK/X3/Q5) with it.

The Touraeg is grossly overweight and has the poor gas mileage and high sticker price so it won't compete directly. I agree the Cayenne is overpriced and it's over-engineered/over-weight/badge-engineering at its best.

The Germans are carefully picking the size/weight/price/power of these X3/GLK/Q5's and they are tightly grouped, just look at how close they are, amazing. This will be an interesting sales battle.
When does the new X3 come out? I looked for one at the show today but the ones they had were the current gen. I will indeed be an interesting sales battle.
Old 02-17-09, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I agree the Touraeg is big and overweight, but that's partly because of the rugged, off-road-capable construction it has, despite the basic unibody platform.
It can go places off-road that you wouldn't dream of taking a Q5 or X3.
Old 02-17-09, 02:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When does the new X3 come out? .
Don't remember, but there's lots of speculation on the internet as usual.
Old 02-17-09, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd also like to point out that unless one really needs or wants the extra ground clearance of self-defined SUVs like the Q5/Q7, X3/X5, etc.... for deep snow or mud, purchase money (and maybe some gas mileage) can be often saved with regular AWD wagons like like the A3, A4 Avant, Subaru wagons, Ford Taurus X, Volvo XC70, etc....or even AWD sedans if you don't need the extra space in back. With their lower centers-of-gravity, they also tend to handle somewhat better.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-09 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 06:24 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;4260209]Thanks. Though it is a little too monotone for my tastes, the Q5's interior is anything BUT "utility". It is typical Audi first-rate trim and fit-finish inside.

QUOTE]

Q5 has a very girlish look. that's my opinion..
Old 02-17-09, 06:43 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by ffpower
I am confident that this thing has got at least one thing going against the GLK:

Exterior styling is another one that the Q5 got the GLK beat but that really depends on personal preference.

Am I the only person here think GLK looks better than Q5?
Old 02-17-09, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
Q5 has a very girlish look. that's my opinion..
Your opinion is respected here......but what makes it so "girlish", in your view?

People should normally just buy and drive what fits their needs and what they can afford, instead of concerning themselves what kind of "image" it has. "Image" often forces car-buyers into more of an effort to cater to what others think or trying to keep up with the Jonses than of simply getting the vehicle that is best for their needs. That's what prevents many families, for example, from buying minivans, when minivans would fill their needs better than any other type of vehicle.
Old 02-17-09, 07:03 PM
kpmg2007
Rookie

[QUOTE=mmarshall;4263961]

Your opinion is respected here......but what makes it so "girlish", in your view?

People should normally just buy and drive what fits their needs and what they can afford, instead of thinking what kind of "image" it has. "Image" often forces car-buyers into more of an effort to cater to what others think or trying to keep up with the Jonses than of simply getting the vehicle that is best for their needs. That's what prevents many families, for example, from buying minivans when minivans would fill their needs better than any other type of vehicle.
those small LED lights in the headlights looks very flashy. It reminds me Mascara used by woman. but that' my persional opinion. you see, I prefer GLK than Q5 in terms of exterior.

and YOu are right in your argument...

Last edited by kpmg2007; 02-17-09 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 10:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Am I the only person here think GLK looks better than Q5?
GLK certainly looks bigger because of its upright/angular/truck-like SUV lines. The 20 inch wheels and big tires are a sneaky way to give any vehicle a concept car kind of look. I'm still up in the air on which one looks best, but I'm leaning in favor of the Audi if based on looks alone....
Old 02-17-09, 11:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

GLK certainly looks bigger because of its upright/angular/truck-like SUV lines. The 20 inch wheels and big tires are a sneaky way to give any vehicle a concept car kind of look. I'm still up in the air on which one looks best, but I'm leaning in favor of the Audi if based on looks alone....
While I have only seen the Q5 in pictures to this point. I was considering the GLK from reading online reviews and specs....and then I saw it in person and drove it.

IMO, it is one of the worst offerings that I have seen from a Tier 1 brand. It is clearly a half azzed attempt at getting into the small sport ute game.
I know looks are subjective, but again, imo, this vehicle is Aztek ugly.

The interior is spartan, bordering on cheap and the ride is ridiculously bad for a Benz. I drove the X3, immediately after the GLK (and ML Bluetec) and was far more impressed with the X3.
Old 02-18-09, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
While I have only seen the Q5 in pictures to this point. I was considering the GLK from reading online reviews and specs....and then I saw it in person and drove it.

IMO, it is one of the worst offerings that I have seen from a Tier 1 brand. It is clearly a half azzed attempt at getting into the small sport ute game.
I know looks are subjective, but again, imo, this vehicle is Aztek ugly.

The interior is spartan, bordering on cheap and the ride is ridiculously bad for a Benz. I drove the X3, immediately after the GLK (and ML Bluetec) and was far more impressed with the X3.
Personally I've lost interest in this segment of vehicles as daily drivers. They all have mediocre handling, mediocre fuel efficiency and mediocre power. To make such tall/high center of gravity boxes handle fairly well requires a unusually firm ride. I rarely use the utility that they offer, and I keep an older Jeep for occasional snow and truck duties.

It remains to be seen if the sale volume of these competing small SUV's will be very impressive.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi Q5