Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 09:55 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The Touraeg is grossly overweight and has the poor gas mileage and high sticker price so it won't compete directly. I agree the Cayenne is overpriced and it's over-engineered/over-weight/badge-engineering at its best.
The Touraeg is an extreme off-roader though. It has the adjustable suspension, huge ground clearance, skid plates, etc. Both the Touraeg and Porsche was a joint devlopment between both companies, so one really isn't a badge engineered of another. The Touraeg, in my experience, seems to have a better cabin than the Porsche - more upscale and better materials, which is bizzare given the pricing spectrum.

But VW/Porsche realize it was porky, huge, and probably too geared towards off-roads, so the next "truck" will be lighter and more car like.
Old 02-18-09, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
The Touraeg is an extreme off-roader though. It has the adjustable suspension, huge ground clearance, skid plates, etc. Both the Touraeg and Porsche was a joint devlopment between both companies, so one really isn't a badge engineered of another. The Touraeg, in my experience, seems to have a better cabin than the Porsche - more upscale and better materials, which is bizzare given the pricing spectrum.

But VW/Porsche realize it was porky, huge, and probably too geared towards off-roads, so the next "truck" will be lighter and more car like.
Yes, thanks for the info. Yes I realize it's strong offroad capabilities but everybody knows 98% of these never get used that way. I know 2 people very well that own Touregs and both dislike them, although one is impressed with the offroad ability just like you mentioned. The first owner with the earlier smaller V6 complains frequently about the lack of power on the road. The other owner with the V8 complains constantly about the gas mileage. Both owners will get rid of these rigs within a year.
Old 02-18-09, 11:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, thanks for the info. Yes I realize it's strong offroad capabilities but everybody knows 98% of these never get used that way. I know 2 people very well that own Touregs and both dislike them, although one is impressed with the offroad ability just like you mentioned. The first owner with the earlier smaller V6 complains frequently about the lack of power on the road. The other owner with the V8 complains constantly about the gas mileage. Both owners will get rid of these rigs within a year.
Will it be sitting in the back of the lot gathering dust too? The Toureg is a very good vehicle & with the same price bracket as the Q5, X3, RX, ML.
Old 02-18-09, 11:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Will it be sitting in the back of the lot gathering dust too? The Toureg is a very good vehicle & with the same price bracket as the Q5, X3, RX, ML.
Might be sitting there with the X6's for sure.

Toureg is nice enough despite the poor gas mileage, mediocre reliability, and mundane styling. I'm glad I don't have to eat the big depreciation hit when unloading these.

IMHO, I prefer the ML350 and RX over the Toureg, as do most auto reviewers too.
Old 02-18-09, 02:56 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Hi Mike, and a big Thank You for the review. I'm one of those that requested your opinion, and I do appreciate the unbiased way you present your views.

We are in the process of trying to decide on our next vehicles, yes plural – as in his and hers. My wife is liking the new A4 a lot, as it seems to have about the same footprint as her IS, but is bigger, and feels a lot sportier. We’ve both driven the A4 with the 2.0T and found the seats far more comfortable (both of us have back issues), and the handling a little crisper (subjectively). The interior, while maybe a little more austere than the IS, is very nice.

I have an 05 RX and so far, have come away somewhat unimpressed with the new variant. The Q5 is now on my radar and I am lucky enough to have gotten a Q5 brochure a couple of weeks ago (and no, I will not tell how!). We are probably going to have a chance to check one out this weekend, which should give us a good idea of the differences, pro and con.

Again, thanks for the review, and your opinions. These, along with, of course, ride and drive will go a long ways in assisting us with our purchase decision.
Old 02-18-09, 06:08 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be sitting there with the X6's for sure.

Toureg is nice enough despite the poor gas mileage, mediocre reliability, and mundane styling. I'm glad I don't have to eat the big depreciation hit when unloading these.

IMHO, I prefer the ML350 and RX over the Toureg, as do most auto reviewers too.
last one I read rated the T on top

But yes, the depreciation is very high, as is with the Phaeton. Doesn't mean they are poor automobiles. The Touraeg, in my opinion, has the best interior of any SUV, including the Range Rover. It blends elegance, style, and quality unlike much anything else I've seen in this category.
Old 02-18-09, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
Hi Mike, and a big Thank You for the review.
Sure. Anytime.

I'm one of those that requested your opinion, and I do appreciate the unbiased way you present your views.
Thanks.

We are in the process of trying to decide on our next vehicles, yes plural – as in his and hers. My wife is liking the new A4 a lot, as it seems to have about the same footprint as her IS, but is bigger, and feels a lot sportier. We’ve both driven the A4 with the 2.0T and found the seats far more comfortable (both of us have back issues), and the handling a little crisper (subjectively). The interior, while maybe a little more austere than the IS, is very nice.
A4 2.0T? Here you are. I reviewed one a few months ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...c-quattro.html

Again, thanks for the review, and your opinions. These, along with, of course, ride and drive will go a long ways in assisting us with our purchase decision.
Sure. That's what they are for.....to help you see what you get for your money.
Old 02-18-09, 09:02 PM
LexFather

FYI, A4 Allroad is NOT coming to America.

Old 02-18-09, 09:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bummer, my friend in Oregon wants to replace his Allroad in the near future.
Old 02-19-09, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Too bad. That's one of the most practical vehicles Audi does, although the A3 Quattro 5-door and Q5 overlap it to some extent.
Old 02-19-09, 05:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Bummer, my friend in Oregon wants to replace his Allroad in the near future.
Thre are numerous options even, without the All-Road. Tell him to check out the Volvo XC70, Ford AWD Taurus X Wagon, Audi's own A3 Quattro and Q5, and the upper-level Subaru Outbacks. The Outbacks, especially, are, IMO, a better, more reliable alternative to the All-Road for less money.

Mercedes and BMW also do AWD wagons, but they can get quite pricey.
Old 02-19-09, 09:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thre are numerous options even, without the All-Road. Tell him to check out the Volvo XC70, Ford AWD Taurus X Wagon, Audi's own A3 Quattro and Q5, and the upper-level Subaru Outbacks. The Outbacks, especially, are, IMO, a better, more reliable alternative to the All-Road for less money.

Mercedes and BMW also do AWD wagons, but they can get quite pricey.

Yes, since he's an executive and a family guy so he will looking at only premium/luxury makes including Audi/Benz/BMW, for use as his personal daily driver.
Old 02-19-09, 12:29 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

A4 2.0T? Here you are. I reviewed one a few months ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...c-quattro.html

Thanks Mike, I spotted that some time back and read it all. Although "She Who Must be Obeyed" loves her IS, she seems to be very interested in the A4. Not sure what the draw is, and she's been unable to explain it either. One possible answer is that we have a dealer within 15 minutes of us, with personnel there that we both know quite well. Our closest Lexus shop is a good 80+ miles away and can take up to 2 hours to drive depending on traffic.

At least we have several months before we have to make a decision.
Old 02-19-09, 01:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think I have only seen 2 Touregs on the road, I have seen more exotics on the road then Touregs. I always liked the Toureg and thought it had one of the nicest interiors of any SUV, much nicer then the Cayenne but from what I read the reliability of Touregs is horrible and among the worst of any vehicle sold which is pretty bad. I remember reading some magazine that named the Toureg as one of the most unreliable vehicles/SUVs on the market or had the most issues so I don't see myself ever considering one in the future. Most likely why they hold there value so poorly because of weak sales and **** poor reliability.
Old 02-19-09, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think I have only seen 2 Touregs on the road, I have seen more exotics on the road then Touregs. I always liked the Toureg and thought it had one of the nicest interiors of any SUV, much nicer then the Cayenne but from what I read the reliability of Touregs is horrible and among the worst of any vehicle sold which is pretty bad. I remember reading some magazine that named the Toureg as one of the most unreliable vehicles/SUVs on the market or had the most issues so I don't see myself ever considering one in the future. Most likely why they hold there value so poorly because of weak sales and **** poor reliability.
Consumer Reports has the Toureg on their list of "Vehicles To Avoid". For reliability they rate it Consistently Below Average.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi Q5